The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › What is your "real" USDA Hardiness Zone?

What is your "real" USDA Hardiness Zone?

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 547
So I heard that the USDA commissioned a reputable NGO to use climate data to update the hardiness zones that we all refer to and that they then "nixed" publishing of that update because it clearly showed warming (this is during the first W term in office).

So the Arbor Day Foundation did their own updated maps which you can find here, along with a comparison with the "current" USDA map. Interesting. I've long thought I was really a zone 6 rather than the published 5 and this confirms it.

http://arborday.org/m...­
A former member
Post #: 112
Sigh...Charles Yelton told us in the design course this summer that zone 5 will eventually become zone 7 and that the zone range will shift 700 miles to the south so that we in Maine will have a climate similar to that of New Jersey.

Winnie
Susannah
user 3832381
Portland, ME
Post #: 73
Fascinating! I had heard that the zone maps were going to be updated years ago and wondered why they weren't...
Sue M.
user 3284483
South Portland, ME
Post #: 48
Maybe I will plant my fig tree in the ground.
A former member
Post #: 113
Sue,
The other thing I should have said above is that he said the weather will have more extremes. So, still be careful about deliberately planting your fig based on zone shift alone. You have microclimate areas in your yard so you may get to play around with less-hardy plants based on your yard's already existing pockets of warmer temperatures. Also, I can't remember how long scientists are saying it will take the shift to zone 7 to occur. Hopefully, we can cut the world's carbon emissions to prevent it from getting even worse.

Winnie