Lisa Fernandes
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 548
Send an Email Post a Greeting
You've probably seen this before, but I still find it interesting - in the name of "knowing where your money goes" when you buy some of this stuff.

https://www.msu.edu/~...­

As we've discussed on this board before, the label "organic" no longer holds water the way it used to. True organic practices are the thing, rather than the label or the certification. I guess knowing your farmer(s) and how they do things is still the best you can do, regardless of how the end product is labelled.
David Spahr
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 247
Ahh.... That's confidence inspiring isn't it?

Frankly, I think boycotting this kind of stuff (prepackaged organic crapola) may be a good idea. We should call for all the foods on our shelves to be "organic" and reasonably priced. They are trying to soak us with the water from their watered down organic standards.

Organic food like this is a class experience. Thems that got the gold. This is not poor people's food.

The only way to combat this is to grow and make your own and to buy locally from people you can trust. I'm loading up on berries these days. I certainly have organic blueberries and blackberries. Go out in the country and start picking! In times when a quart of blueberries is $6-8 (non organic) and blackberries are real expensive too it is just as economically worthwhile.

All the "wild" blueberries are sprayed........... except mine and the ones in the woods.

Some of us can afford the time more than the money......
David Spahr
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 248
We're getting to the time when loading up on mushrooms is a good idea. Labor day brings maitake and lots of other real good ones.

Some nutrition facts.

http://www.mushrooms....­
Lisa Fernandes
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 549
Good points, David. For those in Portland who haven't checked out the Portland Food Coop "buying club" (no physical location yet), you can also order monthly from Crown of Maine which has bulk produce and other products from organic farms around the state.

BTW, on the "who owns organic" chart, I was disappointed to be reminded that M&M/Mars owns Seeds of Change. Seeds of Change does support alot of permaculture activity, but another one of those "oh darn" moments for me.
seth grube
user 7303870
Portland, ME
Post #: 2
I am sick in my very veins. I was aware of many of these mergers, but alas, they augment exponentially.
And that filthy Whole Foods is a wolf's snapping maw robed in sheep's clothing. Their 365 brand like an oozing plague on their shelves, extirpating any small company of real value. There are pawns moving somewhere in the background, I fear the queen shall flourish soon with some monstrous fanfare. Has anyone heard of codex alimentarius? This spelling may be wrong, but do a bit of digging in this power show.....so sad.
Susannah
user 3832381
Portland, ME
Post #: 74
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwweeee...that just gave me the heebie jeebies...it makes me want to take a shower immediately.

I knew that Odwalla was Coke, and Dagoba was Hershey (we read a great New Yorker article on Dagoba last year), and that Cascadian Farm was General Mills, and heck even Tom's of Maine is Colgate-Palmolive now, but I didn't know that Kashi was Kellogg and I had no idea that Heinz = Hain Celestial=Cargill=most everything sold in Whole Foods.

Thankfully there are a handfull of decent options...a small handfull, granted. And most thankfully for our own gardens, and the splendid farmers markets and csa's and for this group's willingness to share knowledge; all which make my gratitude multiply daily.
David Spahr
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 249
Lately ice cream has been making me crazy. Remember when Breyers vanilla had 5 ingredients? They still call it "all natural" but it contains tara gum and "natural flavors" that are not vanilla and maybe some msg. Other expensive ice cream like edy's, round top, and others contain guar gum, carageenan, mono and diglycerides etc. etc.

Here is the ingredient list for Edy's pumpkin ice cream:

AVAILABLE: (Sep-Oct)

INGREDIENTS: milk, skim milk, cream, sugar, corn syrup, pumpkin, whey protein, egg yolks, tapioca maltodextrin, spices (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger), salt, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, citric acid, Yellow #6, guar gum, carrageenan, dextrose, vitamin A palmitate

Geez.... I'm going to get out my ice cream maker and get some cream, sugar, corn syrup, whey protein, tapioca maltodextrin, mono and diglycerides, citric acid, Yellow #6, guar gum, tara gum, carrageenan, dextrose, vitamin A palmitate, natural fake vanilla....... NOT!

David
Susannah
user 3832381
Portland, ME
Post #: 75
Concur.
Wasn't it Michael Pollan who said something like, if your grandmother didn't eat it, it's probably not good for you.
Merry & Burl Hall
BeMerry
Portland, ME
Post #: 88
I was just editing the chapter having to do with what is wrong with big agribusiness and corporate organic. What synchronicity! It turns your stomach, doesn't it. This is my least favorite chapter to write, but absolutely essential. I keep moving it around so as not to interrupt the flow of the story of emergent alternative foodways in Maine. Wherever I put it, this chapter sits like a cancer on the book.

Merry
Ted Markow
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 105
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
It's amazing to see how fast the small independents are snatched up by the mega-chains, all in the name of...competition?

Seems like the best defense is to start with zone 1 and eat your way out from there.