The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › new technologies. What do you think?

new technologies. What do you think?

kiarna
user 7577602
Portland, ME
Post #: 2
A reuseable thread (perhaps!) for posting new technologies and seeing what we think about them. Maybe you know someone who knows its pros and cons?

From http://www.biobased.n...­

" What is BioBased® Insulation?

BioBased® Insulation markets building products that allow residential and commercial structures to be more sustainable. BioBased®Insulation seals a structure's thermal envelope, making it is more energy efficient, healthier, more comfortable and durable than traditionally insulated homes. BioBased®Insulation also is water-blown and soy-based, so it is more environmentally responsible."
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 252
I have recently been interested in this new type of solar "panel" of thin-film photovoltaic (PV) laminates that can be bonded directly onto metal roofing panels.

http://www.mothereart...­

David
kiarna
user 7577602
Portland, ME
Post #: 5
wow. That looks fantastic, thanks David!
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 71
Hi,

I have no, or little hope in new technology; rather, I'm interested in old technology.

Oil will be required to raze the land of it's 'resources', ship the resources to refinement, gather all the resource products in a factory, that requires oil to build it, oil to ship the finished product, oil to get the technicians to your home.

So....old tech made new, tech that is simple to assemble and repair at the home....low-energy inputs to produce the raw materials, low-impact resource extraction... (as in sustainable....which nothing is with this huge population of consumers).

I don't mean to dis this thread and these techs may be helpful in the short-term, but long-term, we need different answers.

Thanks,
Tree
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 553
Tree - I think you mention an important point at the end of your post. We may need to employ some specific technologies on a transitional basis to get us through to the other side of ... whatever is going to happen (which is by nature unclear and will be uneven geographically, etc.).

We (on this discussion board?) seem fairly clear that there are simply no known technologies or even combinations of technologies that will allow us to run our society the way we've been running it. Just not going to happen. So, if we are entering a period of energy descent, what does that look like and how do we get there and how do we encourage our neighbors to see it as a challenge with many positive side effects and outcomes? I think transitional strategies and technologies will need to be a part of that (but are in no way "the" answer).

Appropriate technology is one component of the more important pie that is relocalization (of our food systems, economy, transport, etc.).
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 75
http://www.mothereart...­

Wouldn't you love to heat your home with free energy from the sun? There are simple, inexpensive, do-it-yourself solar projects that can reduce your heating bills.

The sun's energy can be captured by homemade solar hot-air collectors and thermosiphoning panels to provide free heat. The units direct air warmed by the sun through a window or wall opening into the adjoining room.

If you're serious about cutting your home heating bills this winter, one of these inexpensive, do-it-yourself projects will help:

(There are links to plans there. I sure would love to hear feedback on these simple projects...)