The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Organic Pick-Your-Own Apples

Organic Pick-Your-Own Apples

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 567
Anyone recommend a place for this in York or Cumberland counties? I think Ricker Hill offers some organic orchards but I thought there were more....
Mary
marygee
South Berwick, ME
Post #: 26
we went to raven hill orchards in E Waterboro on Saturday...and came home with 40lbs of cortlands. We'll be going back in a week or two.

Still really early in the season, but a great place. $1.50/lb, or $2.50 for heirloom varieties. I don't have the address in front of me, but I'm sure you could find it on the get real maine web site.
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 569
thanks mary. i saw them on the mofga listing but couldn't tell if it was pick your own....will check them out!
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 254
How do they keep the worms out of organic apples? I grew up on organic apples but that meant hunting for the ones with no worms because they weren't sprayed with anything. If they aren't sprayed with something they do get wormy for sure. I have plenty of semi wild unsprayed apples around here.

David
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 80
Hi,

Do you want any apples, Lisa? They are just down the road from me and they are great apples!! They make apple cider doughnuts, too...plus cider.

LMK and I can bring to class.....

Thanks,
Tree
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 588
Hi Tree - Just picked up voice mail and checked the msg boards so may have gotten to this too late! If not, would love some organic apples (a 5# bag for class and one for myself?)
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 81
Hi Lisa,

They open at 7, so I can go before class.

What variety(s) would you like?

Apples: McIntosh, Cortland, Empire, Macoun, Red Delicious, Yellow Delicious, Melrose, Northern Spy, Vartanian Lightening, Zabergau Reinette, Maiden Blush, Winter Blush, Boskoop, Hudson's Golden Gem, Honeygold, Granspur, Red St. Lawrence, Arkansas Black, King of Tompkins County, Baldwin, Black Oxford, Ginger Gold, Gravenstein, Alexander

Not sure if they have all of these types, but let me know your pleasure, please....Macouns are nice for contemporary apples.....

Tree
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 589
cortlands or macs are fine for me. maybe something more 'heritage' for class...black oxford or similar. you choose!