The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Extending the Season

Extending the Season

Penelope
user 5846522
Portland, ME
Post #: 77
I recently finished reading Eliot Coleman's Four -Season Harvest. I was so inspired by his challenge to go ahead and plant some left over seed that on October 13th I sowed arugla, spicy greens, leaf lettuce, and mache in a raised bed garden under plastic. Three days later the spicy greens and arugla had germinated. Two days after that I could see the spicy greens. The mache has yet to germinate. I have been monitoring the soil temperature that has thus far remained between 40-50 degrees. Anyone else giving this a try for the first time?
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 595
Yay Penny - this is only our second year with these winter salad greens but we had such a good first year that this year we have 2 hoop houses, a cold frame and a big bed in our new greenhouse dedicated to it. Mache is the last the germinate but well worth the wait - so tasty.
Penelope
user 5846522
Portland, ME
Post #: 78
Wow Lisa you have a green house! Very exciting!

I have 20 questions but will start with just these two: Where did you locate it and how big is it?
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 597
It's part of a 100' foot greenhouse that a nursery company was getting rid of. A friend was buying it used from them and we bought 24' (6 sections plus and end). So, overall, it's 24' x 17' aluminum hoops/framing with plastic skin (which we'll replace with something more durable when the plastic wears out). It fits - just barely - between the back of the garage and the existing annual veg bed. We still have a bit of work to do to finish it off, but we did get that one 20' bed of greens in while we work on the rest. Unheated, Coleman-style approach.

Craigslist and Uncle Henry's are other good sources for used greenhouses that no one wants. Sometimes just labor to disassemble and haul away is the only price....
alder
user 6954726
Sullivan, ME
Post #: 65
this year i managed to get some greens planted early enough that we will be eating greens into the fall. radish lettuce arugula mache spinach, and some asian green mix. very very exciting. i should have done another later planting (perhaps i still will) but am overwhelmed still.

but, what i want to say is definitely let some of your mache go to seed next spring!!! the guys who wintered over last year that i let seed have sprouted alllll over the place in the bed and path where they had been. the mache that i deliberately planted was being so slow about germ. that i was worried i wouldn't have any then lo and behold the self-sown stuff is everywhere. i've heard it doesn't like transplanting but i'm going to try moving some clumps to my tunnels (which will change to coldframes in a few weeks).

such fun isn't it!!

katie