The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › 'Yes We Can' Create a Sane Food Policy in the US

'Yes We Can' Create a Sane Food Policy in the US

A former member
Post #: 222
Is anyone else planning a "Yes We Can" house party? As we all know, change does not start at the top, but rather at the bottom and move up. We have been challenged by the new administration to organize at the grassroots level and let our voices be heard.

Here is an article from Common Dreams: http://www.commondrea...­

Here is a quote from the article:

...In January—another Obama first—we will have a president who has shown a keen interest in the problem: The Obamas famously shop at Whole Foods and eat organic vegetables—so the president-elect has his personal house in order. Impressively, he also understands and cares about the broader implications of our food policy.

On August 1, at a forum in St. Petersburg, Florida, Obama discussed (watch video) the fact that funneling grains through animals is inefficient, which is contributing to food shortages and even food riots in the developing world. At home, he pointed out that agribusiness subsidies are vastly inefficient, that they neglect the healthiest foods, and that American health would benefit from a change in diet. He declared that we need "to reexamine our overall food policy ...."

The issue was still on his mind when he spoke with Joe Klein from Time magazine in October, when he brought up Michael Pollan's recent New York Times Magazine letter to the "farmer in chief." Obama discussed food policy like a pro, arguing that the U.S. needs—but doesn't have—a comprehensive policy approach. Obama explained that our lack of a sane and coherent food policy poses significant environmental, health, and national security problems.

Of course, understanding the problem and fixing it are two very different things.

First, Obama must pick a secretary of agriculture who does not have ties to agribusiness and who has not spent her or his career defending the status quo. Three names that are being discussed in the media—Charlie Stenholm, Colin Peterson, and John Salazar—would be horrible choices, as these men have supported the status quo consistently and would be very unlikely to support even the most modest of reforms. Even on noncontroversial animal welfare measures, they have gone against the will ...

Here is the website to use if you want to find a meeting in your area or list your meeting:

http://my.barackobama...­

Change is coming!

Merry H.
Merrymaker
Portland, ME
Post #: 57
Yes, Mary, I'm interested in organizing one in January. People are welcome to my house, but I'm out in Sabattus (next turnpike exit above Lewiston) and it may be too far for many. I'm pretty sure we could meet free at a cafe in Brunswick. Or maybe the Zero Station is free (Lisa???) I don't have a lot of faith in how progressive the new admin is based on cabinet appointments, but if they're offering to hear our voices, of course we should raise them.

Blessings, Merry