The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Myoga Ginger - grow a ginger in Maine?

Myoga Ginger - grow a ginger in Maine?

Barbara R.
123bubbles
Oakland, ME
Post #: 14
I got a bunch of African ginger from a friend a few years back and it grows fine. It does like a bit of shade as I have had to move it around to find the spot it likes best. This year I received I believe it is an Asian ginger from another friend. I planted it out in two different spots and it is doing fine. I know nothing about 'true' ginger. Most root crops take three to five years before you can harvest and then one should only harvest 1/4 of what is there. My African ginger has really grown and spread now it is happy. I received it about four years ago and it is in the third season where it is located now.
Barb
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 60
Thanks Barb, is this your African ginger, Siphonochilus aethiopicus?

http://www.pacificbul...­

Very beautiful flowers. Looks like a nice medicinal. Sad story about the over harvesting from the wild... same story over and over with good wild medicinals. It's a great sign of the plant's value to people, though. If it ever starts to get too big and you have a desire to separate off a section of rhizome let me know!
Cheers
Barbara R.
123bubbles
Oakland, ME
Post #: 15
Actually it does not look like that. The description is somewhat acurate but the picture is not it. The leaves are deep green with light colored veins and the shape of the leaf is more like a lily pad. It spreads by rhisome and I have yet to see it blossom! I am not good with botanical names. But the leaf is shiny with a smooth edge. My other ginger is an European ginger. It looks like the African but a smaller plant all the way around. Perhaps, after seeing your photo I have not a true ginger. It does not look like the wild ginger which we have here in Maine. So now I am confused... I thought it was a zingiber. This has gotten me to take a closer lokk if nothing else!. So thank you!
Barbara R.
123bubbles
Oakland, ME
Post #: 16
And yes I am right I am wrong all along! Mine is obviously not a true ginger! The leaf description of long and narrow proves this. Thanks, Greg!
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 65
Hey Barb,
Maybe you have another species of Asarum? There's quite a few around.
http://www.wildginger...­
Barbara R.
123bubbles
Oakland, ME
Post #: 17
Yes that's the one! the European one I have is that too.
A former member
Post #: 11
Hi folks, we swept up the dregs of the canadian ginger at the fedco sale last weekend. does anyone know how to keep it until we can plant it? and has anyone planted/had luck with it?
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 506
Hi Carolyn, I haven't grown it but the attached link recommends:
"Easily grown in average, medium to wet, well-drained soil, in part shade to full shade. Prefers constantly moist, acidic soils in heavy shade. Spreads slowly by rhizomes to form an attractive ground cover for shade areas."
http://www.missouribo...­
Until you plant I'd keep it from drying out and out of the sun, say against the north side of your house.
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 507
This may not have been much of a Maine winter to test if myoga ginger will make it up here or not, but last year I planted 3 cultivars as a trial and the first one is starting to send up shoots. It's the cultivar 'White Feather'. I'll post updates as I see how it and the other two cultivars do.
Hannah F.
user 13612842
Portland, ME
Post #: 2
Awesome Greg! I'll be curious to hear how it does over time! I just got some of the European wild ginger at the plant swap... we'll see how that does out here in Pownal!