What Does a Portland Permaculture Meetup Member Do?
Re-Skilling. Re-Localizing. Building Resilience.
Greetings! We are a group of permaculture advocates of all ages and backgrounds united by our interest in creating a truly sustainable future starting right now
. We have a range of permaculture experience, we focus on learning from each other both formally and informally, and enjoy the comradery of learning together. We are the largest Meetup.com group in the world dedicated specifically to permaculture!
About 2/3 of our total members
are considered "active" (online or in person) at any one time. Of the active members, about half are active either "online" or by coming to our live events. Feel free to participate and whatever level you like.
Our regular monthly meetups
(May through October) consist of a potluck meal/grazing, looking at a particular member's property [when daylight allows], discussing permaculture options and concepts and trying to solve at least one design problem for that member using permaculture.
In the colder/darker months
, our meetups focus on a particular sustainable living topic
(plus potluck and discussion, of course), often with a guest speaker
We will be re-launching our weekend work parties in 2010.
Vary from free to whatever it costs to run the particular event. There is always something that everyone can afford to do!
Check out the "Meetup Manifesto!"
... Help shape the future of this group: http://www.surveymonk...
Some recent meetups have included:
Some upcoming meetups will cover:
- Soils and soil-building
- Plant & Seed Swaps
- Making BioChar
- Medicinal Plants
- Medicinal Mushrooms
- Home Composting & Worm Bins
- Solar hot water for your home
- Solar hot air space heating
- Installing swales
- Rainwater collection
- 4-season gardening in Maine
- Site visits to members' property
- International Permaculture Slideshow
- Permaculture & Backyard Beekeeping
- LEED for Homes / Green Home Construction
- Yoga for Permaculturists
- The 100-mile diet
- Rain Gardens
- Backyard Beekeeping Intensive
- Intentional Communities Presentation
- Transition Towns Presentation
- Wild Food Foraging
- Plant & Tree ID
- Rainwater & Cisterns
- Bioremediation Strategies for Lead
- Backyard chickens for eggs and/or meat
- Fermentation as a food preservation method
- A Pattern Language
- Masonry/Russian Stoves
- Raising Rabbits for Meat
- First Aid/CPR/Herbal First Aid
- Installing Solar Hot Water
- High Efficiency Wood Burning
- Rocket Stoves
- Green Building/Sustainable Building
- Traditional Diets / Weston Price Approach
- "Invasive" Plants discussion
- Geo-thermal/Ground-source heating
- Building a wood-fired oven
- Knife and Tool Sharpening
- Vegetative Plant Propagation
- Zone 00: Personal Resilience Building
- Seed Saving
- Building a "humanure" toilet
- Biodynamics & Permaculture
- Canning Food
- Residential Micro-hydro
- Permaculture Projects for/with Children "Sector C"
- Basic Bicycle Maintenance & Repair
- Zone 00: Compassionate Communication
- Zone 00: Living Mindfully & In the Present [Workshop]
- Zone 00: Practical Wisdom: Nurturing Intuition
- Green Cleaning
- Options for Non-electric Refrigeration
- Storm Window Building Clinic
- Solar Space Heater Building Clinic
- Basics of Mending and Sewing
- Designing and Building with Green "Living" Roofs
Follow Portland Maine Permaculture on Twitter.