addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

New York City PostgreSQL User Group Message Board › PostgreSQL and MySQL integration/re-development of existing database

PostgreSQL and MySQL integration/re-development of existing database

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi,
I am a total newbie here but am posting to the message boards as we are looking for a database administrator consultant with PostgreSQL and MySQL experience who can take a look at our databases on a consulting basis and execute a re-development of our existing database, which is currently constrained by certain flaws such as overlapping primary and unique identifier keys in tables, missed rows in a past migration, as well as having both MySQL and PostgreSQL operating at the same time, and we would like to execute a clean migration to one or the other. I am agnostic on which, though I am told that having only one is not "best practice" as it would slow down site speed.

Best,
Nasha
Mason S.
mason_s
Group Organizer
Holmdel, NJ
Post #: 6
Hi Nasha,

It would probably make your life easier to just have one database, but I suppose it depends on the applications using them and what they are doing. Of course, we here would be biased to go with a tuned PostgreSQL instance. PostgreSQL helps power websites like Instagram and Yodel. You can also use replication and load balance reads.

If using surrogate keys and you have duplicates for what are really different rows, it sounds like you may need to reassign them, or if using natural keys you may need to resolve conflicts. If there is a timestamp in the row, you can come up with rules, like take the most recent one, and possibly do things like prefer one row, but fill in NULL columns with values from the duplicate. Or, the duplicates can be identified and someone who knows the data can choose which row version to use.

Regards,

Mason Sharp
A former member
Post #: 2
Thank you! After a little more research, I think PostgreSQL probably makes more sense. I'm just not sure how much I buy into the argument that we need two separate databases?

The argument is that the front-end is on Java and back-end on PhP and it would slow down site speed... but from what I can tell speaking to others, this still makes no sense.

Very much appreciate your earlier response!
Mason S.
mason_s
Group Organizer
Holmdel, NJ
Post #: 7
I think we would need more details. For example, if the second database is a replica of the first but it is read-only for reporting, or if they are two entirely unrelated applications, it may make sense to have two, but otherwise one would probably be better. It is hard to say without looking at the databases and applications using them.

Mason