The Postmodern Book Club Message Board Past and Future book discussions › Discussion questions for Paul Auster's "The Music Of Chance"

Discussion questions for Paul Auster's "The Music Of Chance"

Richard I.
user 22062261
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 65
In advance of our discussion next week, here are a few things I've been asking myself while rereading The Music Of Chance. Please do add any questions you have of your own that you think we should try and unpick!

(Note: if you haven't finished the book, and don't like being told what happens, look away now!)

• What is the relationship between music and chance in the book?
  • Jack Pozzi seems a name that is too good to be true for a gambler: are the character names in the book entirely coincidental?
  • The car and the road is a powerful modern image of freedom: what kind of freedom do you think it represents here?
  • Who or what killed Jack Pozzi?
  • What, if anything, could have prevented Jim Nashe from meeting his fate?

Russell
user 60056142
London, GB
Post #: 6
I'm interested in the model of the town - esp the prison seen during the card game and the 2 figures of Flower and Stone that get stolen.
A former member
Post #: 1
Hey all, I couldn't make it today due to my eye leaking tears and feeling like it was going to explode ("corneal erosion", it comes and goes, I'm hoping it goes soon...)

Anyway I just wrote my thoughts on the novel down and posted it on my blog instead, you can read it, if you like, here

I liked the book a lot and thought it was an interesting treatment of three pillars of the American ideology: freedom, capitalism and religiosity. Sucks I missed your thoughts on it (and, apparently, the movie lol)...