Progressives for Quality Government. Message Board › Sexism Alert: West Calls Wasserman-Schultz "Vile" and "Not A Lady" For Point

Sexism Alert: West Calls Wasserman-Schultz "Vile" and "Not A Lady" For Pointing Out His Vote Would Hurt Seniors

James
JamesTeller
Group Organizer
Pinellas Park, FL
I read this today and thought I'd forward it. To see what Rep Wasserman-Schultz said follow the first link

Well, this is ugly. From the NYT Caucus blog:

Representative Allen West, Republican of Florida, called Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Democrat of Florida, "the most vile, unprofessional, and despicable member of the U.S. House of Representatives" in an e-mail to her on Tuesday....
Why did he resort to such extreme public name-calling, in and of itself unprofessional? Well because she made this oblique comment about his policy choices.

"The gentleman from Florida, who represents thousands of Medicare beneficiaries, as do I, is supportive of this plan that would increase costs for Medicare beneficiaries, unbelievable from a member from South Florida," Ms. Schultz said in a speech on the House floor.

So she said it wasn't particularly good policy of him to rip off the seniors they both represented. And he responded with the above, finishing off his speech with this flourish of braggadocio:

"He concluded by saying that "you have proven repeatedly that you are not a lady, therefore, shall not be afforded due respect from me!" and signed off with: "Steadfast and Loyal."

Wow. Just wow. Says Steve Benen: "Allen West has already proven himself to be something of an unhinged partisan lunatic, and the fact that he'd lose his cool like this isn't the least bit surprising." What does surprise him, however, is the tameness and truth of the provocation. At Jezebel, Anna North notes: " Unless we're missing something, this is the most bizarrely disproportionate response we've seen in a long time. It's also more than a little sexist — since when does criticizing a fellow politician's ideas make you "not a Lady?"

Meanwhile, Alyssa Rosenberg offers West a primer on what ladylike behavior actually includes.

Wasserman-Schultz is looking more like a heroine everyday thanks to attacks like this, and her office's no-fuss, all-policy response.

By Sarah Seltzer | Sourced from AlterNet

Posted at July 20, 2011, 9:39 am