Baltimore Puggapalooza Group Message Board › pee pads in the winter

pee pads in the winter

beth
user 3399031
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 13
Hi, all.

I'm new to pug (and dog) ownership! I'm loving it so far. Spud did ok in the snow this week, but I was wondering what people's experience has been with pee pads (I have a hunch he won't go out when it's sleeting--he hates the rain!)? If you start using them, have you had problems getting them to go outside? As far as getting them to use them for the first time, is there anything you need to do other than put them out somewhere? I've heard mixed things about them--I have one friend whose dog pees whenever he sees anything remotely resembling the pee pad on the floor (including when she brings him to other people's houses). After hearing that, I've hesitated starting him on them.

Thanks for any feedback!
beth

P.S. I just ordered a pugsnuggly for Spud after hearing all the rave reviews! I kept buying him things from other places that just don't fit his massive chest!
A former member
Post #: 40
Hi Beth,

I have used pee pads for Mabel since we first got her and now also for Melvin. I have no problem getting them to go outside as well. They seem to use the pads as a backup when they really need to go and we can't get outside soon enough. I have never had them go on anything other than the pads. So my experience has been very positive! Mabel is the same way about the rain (and the snow too!). She will not go outside if the weather is bad or the ground is covered. The last couple of days she's managed to find an area under a tree where the grass is exposed and has gone there.

If you decide to try pads, the ones I use are by Arm & Hammer. They almost have a baby powder smell to them and absorb really well. I always buy them at Target.

Good Luck!!

Betsy
A former member
Post #: 51
My little guys do pretty well with the pee pads. I've had a hard time with potty time in general with them, as they pick up on each other's bad habits, and they are both really still puppies. I've used pee pads since they were both puppies, and I leave 2-3 of them in my bedroom at all times. I take them outside to go potty all the time, and they still go out there as well - if they start to slack off with going potty outside, I start reinforcing their good behavior with treats again to keep them doing good. They are both really good with the pee pads when they are in the bedroom during the day. However, from time to time, if there are clothes or anything else on the floor, they may use that as well (since they will generally go potty on soft, plush surfaces). The main problem that I have is when I have the pugs out and about around the house. If I dont' get them outside timely, they wont' go into the bedroom to use the pee pads. but, they tend to have a few "favorite" areas that they go to when they have their accidents. When I start to see a pattern with that, I leave pee pads in those areas to get them back on track...

Overall, I love the pee pads, it makes it so easy for winter when the pugs may not want to go outside as much! I've used the Arm & Hammer ones as well. They are okay, but there are some that are a little more absorbant....

Good luck!!