Python User Group in Princeton Message Board › Python for Beginners class at PPL

Python for Beginners class at PPL

Janie H.
JanieH
Lawrence Township, NJ
Post #: 3
Hello Pythonistas

I would like to be able to extend the offer of using our conference room for the next 6 months to your group. I am thrilled to have you meeting here. I am not sure if you have yet to find an alternative location or not.

One way that I would be able to make a case for having you continue to meet here free of charge would be to have a beginners class on Python taught in our tech center before your monthly meetings. This would be a good way to grow your group -- and perhaps gain some female members as well.

Is this something that the group would be interested in doing? You could have alternating instructors so that it would not all be on one person to lead the sessions.

I would love some feedback on this idea.

Janie
Brian K. J.
user 13094420
Pipersville, PA
Post #: 1
Hi Janie,

I'd like to open this idea up to the larger membership community, but this board doesn't seem to send emails to the group to inform them of activity here. I started a Google Group for PUG-IP, and you should've received an email with the details. I'd love to see this posted to the mailing list for that group, since it has a much better chance of actually being read.

As for myself, I'd love to deliver technology seminars for PrincetonPL. As you know, however, a young and growing family has a lot of time constraints, and I'm often lucky just to get out for the PUG-IP meetup. I'll see if I can make it happen, though, and perhaps others in the group will step forward as well. It should also be noted that many of us are more general technologists who have an interest in Python but are, overall, polyglots: I'm sure anyone in the group who wanted to could deliver technical content on multiple languages or technologies if it would add value to the library's public offerings.

In addition, I agree that it would probably be a great way to try to increase the diversity of the group, so thanks a lot for that suggestion!

brian
A former member
Post #: 2
Jamie,

First, PPL has been a fantastic setting for the group so thanks for the opportunity. I firmly believe the setting and central location have been key factors for the group's success thus far.

Second, for the sake capitalizing on an email from Brian this morning on the newly formed Google Group, I'm happy to cross post this and Brian's reply so it gets in front of people. I'll add a more elaborate response on that forum but in short, I completely share Brian's opinions, situation (family and otherwise), and willingness to step forward and help where possible.

Chris
Paul J.
user 84011062
Princeton, NJ
Post #: 1
Hello, I know that you may already know people would love to learn python, but because no one else has piped up yet, I would like to be the first to say that I would attend this as often as you can have it, as i am pretty much a newb.

As a side note, would someone without very much programming exp. get anything from the meetup on Monday 3/11? If so I could come by to meet the group.