San Diego Pug Club Message Board › Need references for vets. it is urgent!

Need references for vets. it is urgent!

Monica B.
user 2281662
Lima, PE
Post #: 61
My younger pug, Bailey, has developed two tiny tumors and my vets recommends to remove them right away. She is charging between $1,200 and $1,500 and I already payed her $551 for all previous tests and other minus things here and there. I am in shocked.
Anyone who can tell me is the surgery fee is standard? should I look somewhere else?
Please Help!
Monica
A former member
Post #: 1
Hey Monica, I'm sorry to hear that Bailey needs surgery! I do not have the experience to comment on the costs associated with surgery, but I can recommend an excellent vet: Dr. Candy Lewis at Harmony Animal Hospital on Park Blvd. I have found her to be honest, particularly with respect to how to match a budget with my primary priority of keeping my pug healthy.

Best of luck, and hope to hear that Bailey is healed and back at play soon!
Krista O.
user 14327192
San Diego, CA
I live in Oceanside Monica, and just wanted to chime in that yes...those are typical surgery costs. Perhaps your vet would agree to a payment plan?
Joannie H.
user 12833497
San Diego, CA
Hi Monica,
I am a new member, and saw your needs.
Cuyamaca Animal hospital in Santee, on Cuyamaca ,supports peg rescue and are very active in it. They also are. good with working with you and expenses. Good Luck!
Joannie & Frankie!
Kimberley T.
user 10536055
San Diego, CA
Monica I am not sure what part of SD county you are located in but Canyon Creek Animal Hospital in Carlsbad/La Costa Ave off the 5 is be far the best, most flexible vet I have ever dealt with, so much so, I have has my Cooper Pug with them for 7 years and our new adopted Pug Kacee. They offer flexible payment plans and are extremely skilled in the area of pugs.

Canyon Creek Animal Hospital 760-632-1212

Good Luck and let me know if you need anything else.

-Kim
Mindy R.
pugmom4
San Diego, CA
Hi Monica, I highly recommend Dr. Robert Nagell at the Bodhi Vet Clinic (formerly Pacific Vet) on University in North Park. Dr. Nagell is very fair and honest. He is a superb vet - he saved my pug Elvis' life a few years ago and he worked miracles on my little guy, Sid (who is now 19 months old). The phone number is 619-295-9025. You also might want to try Dr. Gary Simpson at Spring Valley Vet - he specializes in brachycephalic breeds and has done palate surgery on Elvis and Dandy. He is also very fair about pricing. There are also a couple organizations that may be able to help with the cost. The surgery fee is fairly standard but the costs vary from vet to vet.

Mindy
A former member
Post #: 59
Hi Monica,

Pug Rescue of San Diego uses Dr. Martin at Cuyamaca Vet Hospital. Although I'm not familiar with the fees, I know that Dr. Martin is an expert with Pugs since she sees almost all of ours. They are located in Santee on 8802 Cuyamaca St. http://www.cuyamacaan...­
ana
user 10304039
Chula Vista, CA
Hi Monica I actually work with dogs to actually know that u can sty with ur regular vet but u can o to care credit.com them pay that company in payments just ask if they take care credit and see if u approve for it
Chistery
user 8794417
San Diego, CA
Post #: 4
I can recommend San Diego Pet Hospital in Lemon Grove. Dr Labrecque and Dr. Kane are great - they LOVE our pugs and take great care of them. If you go you can tell them Chistery and Ollie referred you and they'll know!

We had a similar crisis with Chistery: a $1900 emergency vet bill from the ER when he went into anaphylaxictic shock after being stung by a bee. It took me about a half a second to realize that we'd be late on the mortgage. And it took me no time at all to know that we'd figure it out. And we did. Sometimes you have to make it work if you're going to prioritize the health of your animals. Plenty of people don't.
Susan T.
user 4760955
San Diego, CA
What kind of tumors are they? Mast cell? That seems like the standard rate for tumor removal but if it is mast cell tumors, read all about them before you decide on removing them. We just lost one of our pugs because of his mast cell tumors so if you need someone to talk to about treatment, please message me.