San Diego Pug Club Message Board › Super Itchy Pug!

Super Itchy Pug!

A former member
Post #: 74
My poor pug is suffering from the super itchies!
She's doing butt circles on the carpet and goes absolutely nuts when anyone scratches her back or legs.
We took her to the groomer and had her anal glands expresses and the vet to make sure she didn't have worms. They think it's just dry skin?
Anyone have any suggestions for remedies?

A friend of mine who has a bulldog suggested fish oil but warned that it would make her breath bad.
Any other suggestions?

Poor thing is so itchy!crying
A former member
Post #: 365
We give our dogs a fish oil every day an for the most part it helps. They do get itchy at times and when it is bad we give them a benadryl. I would check with your vet first.
Alison Jerry Ringo...
PugPark
Group Organizer
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 10
Hello,

I just saw your post about your little itchy pug. My name is Alison and I am just starting up a new business to support Pug Rescue of San Diego County and Southern Nevada Pug Rescue. We carry an item called "Itchin' for Relief" by Happy Tails. Honestly, I have never tried it but the reviews on the product are very good. Here is the write-up on "Itchin' for Relief" if you would like to read about it. If you are interested, I can send one to you. It costs $16.95. Please reply to this post if you have further interest. Perhaps it is worth a try. Thank you and good luck with your little itchy one. Poor guy.

Itchin' For Relief | 6.7oz
All natural, highly effective targeted anti Itch spray

Helps Relieve:
Itching due to allergies
Incessant scratching
Hot spots and irritation

When your best friend friend has itchy skin it doesn't help to spray an anti itch product all over their fur! No matter how effective the formula is it won't help unless it makes contact with the scource of the irritation.

Itchin' for Relief provides relief right where it's needed! Our unique extended "nozzler" gets this soothing formula through the fur directly on to itchy and irritated skin. No muss, no fuss, no wet dog or wasted product. Every drop of this all-natural product by-passes even the thickest coat and attacks the problem at the source.

Exclusive "nozzler"
No more wet coat, simply spray between the fur right on to the irritated skin.

Fast Acting the all-natural formula brings immediate relief but it’s also...

Economical the “nozzler” allows you to use only the amount you need

Itchin' for Relief contains no SLS or Parabens..and of course, is cruelty free

DD N.
user 9271436
San Diego, CA
Post #: 9
My deceased ;-( Emperor Ping had very itchy skin. I looked first at his diet. I quit feeding him whatever he wanted and went with an Iams dry food. I also bathed him with Selsun Blue twice a week. It helped. Dr. Nadus of Cuyamaca Vet Hospital who do all Pug Rescue medical, put him on Prednisone. I don't know the age of your poor Puggy but Ping was 12 and I was grateful for any relief for him and the drug was worth it. He died at 15 1/2 and he stopped itching 3 days after I started him on Prednisone.DD & Mr. Squeaky
Sweetie
user 11148188
San Diego, CA
Post #: 8
I also tried to figure out why my Zoey was doing the same thing as your Pug.
Sometimes it seemed like her bottom itched and other times it looked like she couldn't reach her back end or back legs to itch. I added the dry dog food Bil Jac to her regular food and since then she has done very little itching. I think the packaging said something about being good for the dogs coat. I purchased it at PetCo. I sure hope this works for you!
Diane C.
purplediane
San Diego, CA
Post #: 19
Tiff,

What do you feed your pug? Allergies are a problem for many pugs and it is often the diet. The most important thing is that the food has no wheat, corn or soy products, but of course there can be other allergies too. My vet recommended the Natural Balance L.I.D., which stands for Limited Ingredients Diet. It can be purchased at PetCo, Carters Feed (Lakeside, much cheaper) and I'm sure most independent pet stores carry it too. My Chloe does very well with it; she also likes Blue Buffalo brand available at PetSmart and other places.

Several people I know swear by the Dinovite supplement for their pugs. http://www.dinovite.c...­ I have not used it but they have said that it really helped the itchiness and also helped reduce shedding. The only caveat is that you have to use it for the whole 90 days before you see improvement in the shedding. Hopefully the itchiness improves sooner than that! I have considered using it if only for the shedding, but I'm a procrastinator so it hasn't happened yet.

Please let us know what happens.