Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup (Southeast Michigan) Message Board › Westland Dog Food Co., Inc. (Exposed)

Westland Dog Food Co., Inc. (Exposed)

Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,380
Meetup Members,

Our 6-month Westland Dog Food Co boycott is coming
to an end this weekend marking our 30th protest! That
equates to over 60 hours of community outreach. If you
have not been able to join us, this is your last opportunity
until the fall when we return for sustained protests.
RSVP now.

We put a little video together to share our stories over
the last 6 months as we are not deterred by sprinklers.

We hope that the owners institute a new policy that does
not involve commercial breeders and turn their bad
reputation into something positive by offering only adoptable
dogs through a reputable rescue.

With counter protesters, sign blocking, heckling, city
conspiracies, a banner ticket, targeted sprinklers we
stayed the course and turned all attempts to block our
civil rights into controversy... leading to more media
attention. This campaign was very successful as we
were able to get TWO front page news stories (one
local and one with the Detroit Free Press.) The prosecutor
and his firm were dismissed from the banner ticket
which will likely be dismissed -- while the pet store’s
banners are all down. We enjoyed the sprinklers and
passed all the police periodic checks (which never
happened at Petland Westland) and now we are seeing
an empty parking lot. Yes, Westland, we realize the
shoppers coming in on Saturday are your acquaintances.

I would like to thank all the heroes who held signs and
gave a voice to the breeding dogs in the Midwest states.

Here are my favorite photos.

Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,381

7/20/11 Sent a formal invitation to stop selling puppies and take the Puppy Friendly Pet Store pledge through the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) initiative. The store did not respond.

8/3/11 Provided the formal invitation and pledge form in person to Kim Fourment. The store did not respond.

8/11/11 Sent a list of our expectations were, along with an offer to support them during the business transition to adoption events only. The store did not respond.

8/15/11 Sent final formal letter to Kim Fourment. The store did not respond.

8/17/11 Issued a Press Release “Group Asks Pet Store to Adopt Puppy-Friendly Practices.
8/30/11 Sent a hard copy letter to the store address - Attention Kim. The store did not respond.

9/7/11 Held Pilot Protest.

9/11/11 Issued a second Press release “ Puppy Mill Awareness launches Puppy Store Campaign in Westland Michigan.

9/11/11 Called the store. Left message for Kim: This is my last call and I will not be calling again or sending letters. She can call me. We will be launching a campaign against the store with protests. We will not be coming in the store. It will be peaceful.

9/17/11 Held Puppy Mill Awareness Day Protest with over 30 protesters.
12/1/11 Published Bob and Dee Ann Cleveringa’s USDA Kennel Photos and three other kennels under investigation.

12/20/11 Store invests in increased advertising.

1/7/12 Kicked off sustained boycott with over 20 protesters. Protests have been scheduled for every Saturday 12-3.

1/7/12 The store owner was presented shocking USDA photos of one of their Iowa breeders who has shipped Golden Retrievers (Bob and Dee Ann Cleveringa (B&D Kennel)) along with a listing of all their breeders including inventory numbers.

1/10/12 Published rejected health certificates after receiving letter from the store’s attorney who happens to be the city prosecutor.

1/28/12 Counter protests end after the pet store’s supporter receives a serious ticket.

2/25/12 The store’s PUPPIES banners come down after they were found in violation of the city ordinance.

3/4/12 Published the Westland Dog Food Co Breeder Fact Sheet and distributed to the local neighbors.

3/4/12 The stores 2011 breeder kennel inspection reports, including violations to the Animal Welfare Act, were posted to our Meetup files.

3/4/12 A puppy buyer published a YELP report after visiting the store and learning about a large commercial breeder in Missouri who was supplying the store. “209 dogs on the premises during a given inspection, 70 dogs without beds or shelter in Missouri in January, layers of feces and urine over 3 inches deep in limestone lined kennels, the list of violations went on and on.”

3/14/12 Published kennel information for Dona Cope, a supplier to Westland Dog Food Co. The inspection report stated “There are at least 5 barrels (shelter) for adult dogs where the dogs are taller than the barrels”.

3/24/12 Published a video of a sick dog case. A family who purchased a golden retriever puppy from Westland Dog Food Co a couple years ago suffered heartbreak after they had to put the dog down due to medical issues.

4/10/12 Published to police reports related to service calls regarding animals.

4/15/12 The Westland Observer article (Front Page) “Store, protesters face off over puppy sales. Members of Puppy Mill Awareness of Southeast Michigan have been protesting in front of Westland Dog Food Company in an effort to get the company to stop selling puppies. “

4/19/12 A woman posted a sick dog story to the Hometown life article. “He had severe pneumonia”

4/22/12 Posted video of FOUR sick dog cases.

4/29/12 Healthy Paws Veterinary Clinic leaves Westland. Services cut off prior.

5/1/12 Began weekday protests.

5/4/12 Launched online petition.

5/5/12 Published 2011 USDA Inspection Reports.

5/8/12 Detroit Free Press Articles (Front Page) “Anti-puppy mill crusader and her group raise anger, awareness by going after pet stores”

5/26/12 Offer transition idea. Provided example of new pet store with alternative products and supporting local shelters.

6/6/12 Launched Facebook Page.

6/21/12 Published sick boxer video. Customer complaint.

6/27/12 Published sprinkler video with campaign highlights

6/30/12 End of 6-month boycott.
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,402

Westland purchased puppies from this
Missouri kennel after years of violations.

Westland Dog Food Co., Inc.
37687 Ford Rd.
Westland, MI 48185

Westland Dog Food Co Owners,

Puppy Mill Awareness of SE Michigan submitted a public records request to the USDA regarding one of your Missouri suppliers – Peri Neill. They provided 137 records and 49 deplorable kennel photos that you should be aware of. More diligence in screening your suppliers is required.

In March 2006, the USDA completed an extensive investigation of Peri Neill’s kennel including a log of violations (attached). Neil failed to comply with vet care, surfaces, storage, drainage, ventilation, lighting, shelter, outdoor housing, construction, primary encl, feeding, cleaning, housing, pest control from 2/2002 to 8/2005. In addition, she received two warning tickets (6/14/01) and (7/21/99) and a failure to comply letter (6/22/05).

The photos I am including are deeply concerning: one dog is excessively matted down to the skin, shelter is not large enough for dogs to have normal postures, dead rodents in occupied kennels. All the photos are posted on our Meetup Photos section.

The USDA drafted a $12,000 fine.

Seven years after her first warning, Peri Neill misunderstood the inspector and euthanized approximately 24 dogs to reduce the kennel size. The USDA stated in an internal email:

“Historically she is a chronic violator. She may correct,
but then go south again. A significant fine will get her attention,
but will accept $1,500.”

Peri Neil was then fined $1,500 in 2007. Neill had more violations after this investigation and her license was “cancelled” or “not renewed” in June 2010. She continued to ship wholesale to your store without a license: July 2010, June 2011 and December 2011.

Again, more diligence on your part is required. A kennel visit should be mandatory – do not accept staged photos from them. Did someone check to see if she had a USDA license? A careful check of USDA inspection reports would have shown she was a chronic offender - these are public record.

USDA Inspection Reports
02/27/2002 Non-compliances
08/19/2003 Non-compliances
12/06/2004 Non-compliances + Photos
04/20/2005 Non-compliances + Photos
04/26/2006 Non-compliances
11/29/2006 Non-compliances
11/05/2007 Non-compliances
01/13/2010 Non-compliances
06/14/2010 Cancelled License
**continues to ship wholesale 7/2010 - 2011**

I have provided Joy and Melissa instructions for looking up USDA inspection reports and breeders. Feel free to contact me if you need assistance searching the USDA online public records.

I have already filed a USDA complaint regarding her unlicensed sales and will be sending a letter to the AKC Borzoi club.

Pam Sordyl
Founder of Puppy Mill Awareness of SE Michigan

cc: Imagine Borzoi, William D and Peri Neill,
Healthy Paws Veterinary Medical Center, Westland, MI
Lamb, Victoria, Dvm - Cherry Hill Animal Clinic add photos view all, Westland Mi
William R. Wild, Mayor of Westland
James Godbout, City Council President
Steven L. Halstead, DVM, MS, State Veterinarian, Lansing MI
Richard LeBlanc, State House Representative District 18
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,403

Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,423

Heather Christie purchased a Rottwieler puppy from Westland Dog Food Co eight years ago. He allegedly had cancer after two years when they could not figure out why he wasn’t eating and throwing up. Even after 6 years he could not keep his food down. Eventually he would not get up because he hip was broken due to his brittle bones. The cancer had slowly paralyzed his esophagus. He also had an enlarged heart and had to be put down.
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,439

Dear Mayor Wild and Deputy Chief Matich,

My organization, Puppy Mill Awareness of SE Michigan, has been holding public education campaigns about puppy mill puppies sold in Westland for many years now. Only one store continues to sell puppies from large commercial breeders out-of-state and I would like to discuss my concerns about this business practice with you.

I am hoping you both have time on your calendar next week to have an initial meeting. We are proposing a Humane Pet Acquisition ordinance that will promote adoptions of homeless animals. Attached is a Fact Sheet for your review.

We would also like to end protests, but could use you help in mediation. Many times, a simple face-to-face meeting can be a healthy way to address differences. We feel that your office and the police may be able to offer peacekeeping ideas and resolutions.

I look forward to your response.