addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup (Southeast Michigan) Message Board › Greenwood Pets & Plants (Warren Mi)

Greenwood Pets & Plants (Warren Mi)

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 806

Greenwood Pets & Plants
13983 E 9 Mile Rd, Warren 48089
(586) 777-3071
Macomb County

11/16/10

Dear Mr. Jones

I have been researching your business operations over this past year I am deeply concerned about the out-of-state commercial breeders you are working with.

This is what Puppy Mill Awareness (PMA) is asking of Southeast Michigan pet stores including Greenwood and Seashells:

• Agree to no longer sell animals acquired from breeders in their store(s) or on the Internet.
• The only dogs transferred, sold or retailed shall be "rescued" dogs coming from shelters or 501(c)(3) rescue groups.
• Agree to make these changes in every other business in which the store may have an interest, either currently or in the future.

In exchange for the above commitment, PMA will assist stores by doing the following:
• Puppy Mill Awareness will agree to not hold peaceful demonstrations at the store(s).
• Puppy Mill Awareness agrees to help promote the store. Such promotion may include: sending out a press release, a feature on the Puppy Mill Awareness Facebook, and/or an email publication to our members;
• The Humane Society of the United States will provide stores that offer rescued dogs with a "Pet Friendly Pet Store " seal to display in the store and put the store on their website.
• Puppy Mill Awareness will help facilitate relationships with the rescue groups and shelters, through which stores may acquire rescued animals to offer for adoption.
You can reach me at xxx

Pam Sordyl
Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup
Southeast Michigan
734-828-1400
http://www.meetup.com...­
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 807
We provided the Puppy Friendly Pet Store Pledge Form to the store last year (November 2009). We also called the store several times asking them to stop selling puppies.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 818
2010 Holiday Round-A-Bout Rally Schedule
Greenwood Pets & Plants
13983 E 9 Mile Rd, Warren

1. Thursday, Dec 9th, 5 - 7 p.m.
2. Friday, Dec 10th, 5-7 p.m.
3. Saturday, Dec 11th 12 - 3 p.m.
4. Thursday, Dec 16th, 5 - 7 p.m.
5. Friday, Dec 17th, 5-7 p.m.
6. Saturday, Dec 18th 12 - 3 p.m.

Please join us at a holiday rally. You can RSVP on our calendar.
http://www.meetup.com...­

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 864
12/11/10 Rally
I just happen to run into Roop Raj from Fox2 next door doing a story about the storm coming. We discussed the protest and potentially running a story about sick puppies sold from this location. Overall, we had a chance to not only meet many of the customers, but recruit local concerned citizens.

One of the employees was letting some of the pups play outside near the parking lot. It really didn’t look like a safe area with debris and merchandise stacked all over. Is this area ever cleaned? I can see where healthy puppies could easily catch sick puppy viruses. I didn’t see her picking up poop, but she made sure that we saw her petting the puppies. Doesn’t she know we are worried about the parents sitting in the shacks pumping out those puppies?

12/10/10 Rally
This was sort of like one of our pilot rallies. We keep it small and simple, but the owner still will not talk with us. He hasn't returned phone calls and did not respond to our letter asking him to stop selling puppies. Our location is very close to the front door and main parking area. The customers can't miss us.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,244
* * *ACTION ALERT * * *

Please be on call for a Greenwood Pets Protest today, tomorrow or even Monday.

Members,

Greenwood pets recklessly sold a pot bellied pig to a family in Warren where pigs are not allowed. The young boy was in tears the pig had to be returned to the store. Fox 2 News covered the story and laid blame on the pet store. The Mayor and Commissioners are involved…they want to prevent this from happening.

Fox 2 wants to do a follow-up story. I suggested the pig be turned over to SASHA Farm Sanctuary where the boy can visit.

We will also need to protest to store to gain more media coverage for our cause and against the store! They do ship puppies from a large broker in Kansas and work with unlicensed breeders here in Michigan.

Recently the store lost power and the conditions were deplorable. Complaints were filed and I collected all complaints back to 2007! Enough for a good story for Fox.

Pam
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,246
Warren Makes Boy Part Ways with Pet Pot-Bellied Pig
Okay for Store to Sell, Not Legal as Pet

Published : Friday, 23 Mar 2012, 8:22 PM EDT

By JASON CARR
WJBK | myFOXDetroit.com

http://www.myfoxdetro...­

WARREN, Mich. (WJBK) -- Chumlee the pig has a new home, but the Warren boy that owned him for months still misses his little buddy. The problem is it's against Warren city ordinance to keep a pig as a pet even though it's legal for a store to sell the pig.

"I want him back," six-year-old Christian said through tears. He added that Chumlee meant a lot to him and the two would play together frequently.

Santa brought him the pot-bellied pig for Christmas. Soon the pig was like family, even going to show and tell. However, Chumlee got loose and a neighbor called the city.

"Two days later, animal control was banging on my door telling me you cannot keep a pot-bellied pig in the City of Warren," said Michelle LaDuke.

Mayor Jim Fouts feels bad for Christian.

"I was very sympathetic. I was hopeful that there was something we could work out. I called the commissioner up. He said, unfortunately, we have a law that does not allow that," he said.

Santa got the pig from Greenwood Pets, which issued a refund and took Chumlee back. We went to Greenwood and talked to Dennis.

"If I had known she was City of Warren, I wouldn't have sold it to her," he said.
At any rate, Christian's mom says the boy should have his pet back, but since it's not legal, how about visiting?

We asked Dennis if there was any chance that the people who have Chumlee now would allow him visit the pig.

"This is absurd and you're being used as a pawn in this," he replied.

Greenwood sells barnyard animals such as ducklings and chicks, there's even a rooster out front, and it's all legal. It's confusing, so we asked what can be done?

As a result of this story, the mayor and the police commissioner got together on a conference call.
"Let's require a large sign to be fully visible saying the following animals are for sale here, but they are against the law to own in the City of Warren," Fouts said on that call.

LaDuke said Greenwoood should have known better.

"I asked the girl four times before we even brought Chumlee home was it legal to have Chumlee? And she said, yeah, you can have a pot-bellied pig in Warren."

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,254

PLEASE SIGN OUR PETITION

Greenwood Pets in Warren, Michigan is bad for animals and bad for Warren residents. From puppies to pigs, they've consistently failed our pets. It's time for them to stop selling live animals.

Here are just a few of the problems with Greenwood Pets:

• Last Christmas, Greenwood Pets recklessly sold a baby pot-bellied pig to a Warren family, even though farm animals are not allowed in the city. The family had no idea, and figured that since they were at a Warren business, there wouldn't be anything wrong. The pig, named Chumblee, had to be returned, breaking the young boy's heart.

• It's not just Chumlee. Greenwood sells chickens and roosters, which are also illegal to own in Warren, and even alligators. This store is acting irresponsible, both to these animals who need special care and to the families they're setting up for heartbreak.

• Residents should stay clear of the puppy isle too. Greenwood has a history of working with a large puppy broker from Kansas. Lambriar Inc's last inspection listed 773 puppies in inventory. What breeder would ship their puppies with over 700 other puppies across state lines to unknown retailers and families?

• Greenwood also has a history with the Michigan Department of Agriculture. Complaints­ have been filed related to animals with no food, unsatisfactory cleanliness of the stores, food storage not adequate, overcrowding of animal cages, insufficient number of employees to maintain husbandry, surfaces not disinfected and distressed birds loosing feathers. Fines were issued, but the store continues to receive complaints.

• Customers have allegedly seen dead rats on the floor, dirty ferret & bird cages, filthy snake aquariums full of dead skin with dried up water bowls, aquariums with brown algae on walls with no lights or filtration, a Cockatoo bird who was feather plucking until chest was bare, puppies covered rust colored dirt, fish with fungus on their heads, lethargic fish, a snake with small sores on its nose, turtles without perches, rat feces on the floor.

Help stop Greenwood Pets' pattern of abuse. Tell the store to stop selling live animals.

PETITION UPDATES

More reasons why it is wrong to sell live animals
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,451

To be added to Puppy
Store Owner Mug Shot Collection.

Meetup,

We now have the owner of Greenwood Pets & Plants’ (Warren Mi) mug shot. The Pre-exam was rescheduled from 11/15/12 to 12/13/12. We will be following this case and let you know when to write letters to the judge.

Case Summary:

• June 8, 2012 Tickets Issued. Allegedly a pygmy goat was suffering from a urinary blockage. Animal Control was called. Officers found many other items of concern and issued tickets. The charges were listed as animal abandonment and cruelty.

October 16th, 2012 Pre-trial. The store owner, Dennis Jones, plead guilty to 1 count and the other charge was dismissed. Jones was “under advisement” meaning, if nothing happens the remaining charges would be dismissed.

• October 31, 2012. A warrant was issued for failing to appear in court and Mr. Jones was arrested. Jones was released on cash bond.

• November 15th, 2012 Pre-Exam was adjourned to December 13th, 2012 with Judge Chumar at the 37th District Court in Warren. Charges are now listed as felonies.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,473
We would like to thank the Macomb County Prosecutor for not offering lesser charges to the owner of Greenwoods Pets. Mr. Jones is still facing felony animal cruelty charges after a baby pygmy goat was found struggling with urinary tract problems. He would not accept the plea deal offered today in District Court. The case has been assigned to the Circuit Court in Mt. Clemens. The next court date is Monday, January 28th at 1:30. This could go to trial or a bench trial.
Laura
gwaipo
Eastpointe, MI
Post #: 1
All of the animals were removed from this store this evening. Made my day!