Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup (Southeast Michigan) Message Board › Shaggy Dog (Shelby Twp)

Shaggy Dog (Shelby Twp)

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 982
More compliants can be found on Pet Shop Puppies

On 5/10/2003, two Poodle (Miniature and Toy) was purchased, both over 20 lbs, although the pet store said they were toy. The breeder was from Tenesee - Bridges, June 555 Carroll Lane, Enville TN 38332

On 11/24/2004, a Maltese was purchased with hypoglycemic shock; kennel cough; scratching, ear infection; diarrhea. The breeder was from Yale Michigan - Wayrynen, Doreen, 13075 Jeddo Rd, Yale, MI 48097
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 988
04-01-11 Protest

We kicked of our series of Round-A-Bout rallies today.

During the 2 hour protest, we turned away two puppy buyers!!! One was looking for a Chi and the other a hypo-allergic dog. Of course, I didn't tell her they don't exist, but sent her to Huron Valley and the Dearborn Shelter. The neighboring shops seemed really interested ,as well as, former puppy buyers. One gentleman said he bought a dog from there three years ago, but had to give him up because he could not afford him anymore

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 989
3-28-11 Zoning Complaint

Someone filed a complaint with the local Zoning Department. The store's furnace was out and they were using dangerous space heaters. I sure hope the space heaters were not left on all night with the puppies there by themselves.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 990
04-02-11 Protest

We watched many potential-puppy buyers leave without a puppy. They couldn’t miss our glowing signs. Again, we had a lot of people stop for information including customers and store owners in the plaza nearby. It won’t be long and former customers will be asking some serious questions of the store.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 991

Make sure you bring your $$$ CREDIT CARD $$$ because this store is all about selling puppies.

The sign should read “Get Your Puppy Mill Puppy Here!”.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 992
What you need to know about their primary breeder:

Shaggy Dog will tell puppy-buyers the puppies are bred by the owner’s sister has been supplying Shaggy Dog puppies since 2004. This large commercial kennel located in St. Clair County housed 122 dogs in 2008 according to a USDA inventory report.

PD Kennel’s USDA inspection reports are not good either. Since October 12, 2010 the inspector noted 7 violations to the Animal Welfare Act including items related to Veterinary Care, Housing, Primary Enclosures, Records and Watering.

Pet Shop Puppies report “A Maltese was purchased from Shaggy Dog with hypoglycemic shock; kennel cough; scratching, ear infection; diarrhea- breeder Doreen Wayrynen“

As of February, 2011, PD Kennels USDA license was cancelled. The law requires breeders who are selling wholesale to pet store to be licensed by the UDSA. Shaggy Dog has been receiving the puppies from PD Kennels as of April 2011.

According to the Intelius People Search website, the owner Donna Ahrens, does not appear to be related to Doreen Wayrynen at all. Intelius lists an individual’s parent, sibling names and in-laws. Puppy-buyers feel more comfortable buying a puppy if they know the owner has a strong relationship with the breeder. This marketing tactic is used by other Michigan pet stores that sell puppies.
http://www.intelius.c...­

This store has also worked with a breeder named June Bridges.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 993
Consumer Protection Company Report – October 2006
The Office of the Michigan Attorney General

On 10/23/06 a complaint from Wesley Whitlam was filed with the Attorney General’s Office classified as “Failure to Refund”.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 994
4/3/11 Protest

Yesterday’s confrontation with the owner of the Shaggy Dog took our minds off the wintery mix soaking us. I was surprised to see Donna in full force after not seeing her on Friday or Saturday.

Maybe my “CAUTION !! Bad Breeders” glowing sign set her off? !

A woman who took her dog in for grooming thanked us. She said her dog needed 9 stitches after a visit to Shaggy Dog in 2005. The store did not cover the vet costs.

A family who purchased a puppy stopped to thank us for letting them know. The dog walks with a limp, but they thought the kids had hurt the dog. They will be having their vet exam closer.

A gentleman who was picking up his dog from grooming stopped to ask questions. There were several other visits too…so many I can’t remember them all.

We also observed Doris, an employee, smoking outside. When she saw I was filming, she went inside and was smoking around the puppies. Nice.

Donna Ahrens, the owner, stormed out of her Lexus with her camera in the rain to take our pictures. She stated she was going to sue me. I told her she would have to tell me who her breeders are. I don’t think she realizes that it will bring her unwanted media attention.
View Video

View Video

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 998
Dog escapes from boarding facility during family vacation

http://www.macombdail...­

Published: Monday, January 08, 2007

A Shelby Township family is launching an all-out search for Gunner, their beloved 3-year-old Boston terrier that escaped from a local dog boarding facility while they were out of town on vacation.

"We've been searching from daybreak until sunset," said Bill Gouleche, who along with his wife, son and friends has distributed more than 1,200 fliers in their neighborhood.

Gunner, a 28-pound neutered male, wiggled out of a leash while tied to a fence at a Shelby Township boarding facility last week. The Gouleches say they've been told a number of people have seen the dog but no one has apparently caught him.

They are offering a $200 reward for the dog.

The family left Gunner with a boarding company while vacationing over the holidays and provided a phone number of a neighbor in case of an emergency.

When they returned home last week, they called the company to see when they could pick up Gunner, but were told there was bad news -- the dog was long gone.

"We couldn't believe they not only didn't call our neighbor, but didn't give us the courtesy of a phone call," said Joanne Gouleche.

The family immediately went to work, contacting police in Shelby Township and neighboring Utica, along with public works employees, mail carriers, anyone who may be out on foot in the area of 21 Mile and Van Dyke where Gunner was last seen.

Several people told the family they saw a similar-looking dog crossing Van Dyke. The family says Gunner isn't the friendliest animal and may not respond to the kindness of strangers.

The Gouleches said they can accept Gunner being involved in an accident, but not knowing what the little guy's fate is unbearable.

"My son is an emotional wreck," Bill Gouleche said. "He hasn't been able to go back to school because we're out there looking for Gunner."

Joanne Gouleche said the family has used the boarding company for two years -- and even purchased Gunner from it. She hasn't ruled out a lawsuit, but maintains "even $1 million" wouldn't compensate her for the emotional anxiety caused by his departure.

Shaggy Dog, the company the Gouleches said lost Gunner, could not be reached for comment on Sunday.

The Gouleches say they strong Christian faith will pull them through this family crisis.

"Gunner is part of the family," Joanne Gouleche said. "If you're an animal lover, you know what I'm talking about."

Anyone with information on Gunner's whereabouts is asked to call the Gouleche family at (586) 781-8866 or (313) 910-0422.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 999
Donna,

Why didn’t you call the neighbor? A lost dog is an emergency! Why was the dog tied up alone outside? Did you even help in the search?

Your neighbors told us two dogs actually have escaped from your facility. One died after being hit by a car!

After a tour of the area with our literature yesterday, I learned two things. One, your fellow neighbors didn’t have anything good to say about you. Second, there are a ton of animal lovers who believe in rescue.

You should know that we closed that pet store across the street from you. You probably knew the guy - Joe Yaquinto at Tail Waggin Fun Pet Resort. He went to jail after our investigation. You can see us on Channel 4 - Google Macomb Dog flipper. I noticed the store front is empty. Closed down. I have four other stores that look just like that one.

The police didn’t hesitate to mention that they are aware of sick dogs reported at your location.

You should know, I am no stranger to the media. I suppose I can contact them now for the Round-A-Bouts. I usually save that for the full boycott, but since you are creating so much controversy…I will just have to leverage it.