Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup (Southeast Michigan) Message Board › Shaggy Dog (Shelby Twp)

Shaggy Dog (Shelby Twp)

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,015
Puppy Mill Awareness Complaint - 4/9/11

• George purchased a black pug from Shaggy Dog 9 years ago with his girlfriend.
• The pug passed away 2 years ago.
• They paid $4,000 in surgery costs.
• The first surgery was completed to repair his knee – Luxating Patellas
• The second surgery was completed to repair his liver – Liver Shunts. The veins were passing by the liver. He suffered seizures and needed to be on a special diet.
• George contacted an attorney who said it wasn’t worth it.
• The store was confronted, but they really didn’t seem to care.
• George remembers dealing with a Donna and a brunette woman at the time.
• His girlfriend researched the breeder because she was concerned about the litter mates who also reported having problems. They believe the breeder was located in Tennessee.

Watch Video

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,016
3/11/11

Donna,

Almost 100 Michigan Pet stores have pledged not to sell puppies and support adoption efforts in their communities. Many of stores just like yours who are able to survive in this economy without selling puppies.

I am attaching the Invitation and Pledge Form for you consideration.

If you would like to talk to me about a business transition, feel free to call me. I would personally pick up the form and bring the media for a big celebration. You would be the first to stop selling puppies.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Pam Sordyl
Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup
Of Southeast Michigan
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,018
In March 2011, the public could google Shaggy Dog Puppies and read reviews left by prior customers on Yahoo.com (good and bad). As of April, the Shaggy Dog Puppies listing has been removed from Yahoo.com. Good thing we saved these warnings for future puppy-buyers to read.

http://local.yahoo.co...­

1. by Horrified
07/02/2010
I posted a one star because I could not go any lower. Terrible dog grooming at this place. Requested a certain cut and my dog was shved. Groomer developes an attitude when told she was wrong. Also took 5 hours.

2.User Rating: 1 out of 5 stars
by ck
12/29/2008
I have a 6 year old schnauzer who has the health problems of a 16 year old dog. She only has 4 teeth left, has hip problems, and has a very sensitive stomach to where she will vomit blood. We were assured that she came from a "friend" in Romeo, but we know better now. Do not trust the puppies from this place because they will just be sickly in the future. Do not promote a business that knowingly sells puppymill dogs.

User Rating: 1 out of 5 stars
by angry customer
12/18/2008
At best my review would be awful. I purchased a yorkiepoo puppy from there just today and am appauled to find out that the puppy has kennel cough and a grade 2 luxating patella, a crippling problem in one of her legs. The owner, Donna, assured me that this puppy was in "perfect" health, from a local family in West Branch. There are no breeders in West Branch I have found out. Also, her response when I called her about the problem "Well you should just bring her back, you are nothing but a problem".

BUYER BEWARE!

by Grieving owner
09/16/2008
My family purchased a gorgeous puppy from Shaggy dog in 2003. He was the most wonderful, friendly, amazing companion. One month after turning 5yrs old, he was diagnosed with a brain umor and an extremely weak immune system that the neurologist suspected were congenial defects. he was gone within a weeks time.

Who knows how the Shaggy dog is really getting their puppies or how they are being bred before arriving at the store. Perhaps our traumatic situation is a fluke, the pain my family is feeling from losing our baby at such a young age is so unbearble that I would recommend NEVER buying a dog from Shaggy dog.

by og_buckles
06/27/2008
I would highly advise someone to avoid this store when purchasing a puppy. The owners and staff will claim they get their dogs from a nice Amish family or a friend of the owners, but those answers couldnt be further from the truth. We know of 4 puppies in the last year that have been purchased from this puppy store and all have been sick. One was so ill that it eventually died within one month!!!! It is a horrible idea to purchase anything from this store. Also, please purchase a puppy from a responsible owner or adopt an animal. Upon considering buying a dog please review the link below before you purchase a dog from an irresponsible store, such as Shaggy Dog. If you hear any bad things about this store assume they are true!!! Review Link Below

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,019
We need to recommend Shelby locals go to Kuts n Kisses down the road. Looks like they care about the homeless.

Rene McGee
Kuts 'n Kisses Grooming Salon & Boutique
46500 Van Dyke
Shelby Twp., MI 48317
586-737-7525
www.kutsnkisses.com

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Rene' McGee and I am opening Kuts 'n Kisses Grooming Salon & Boutique in Shelby Township. We will be open on March 30. I have a special place in my heart for shelters and rescue groups. I have adopted all of my dogs, fostered and volunteered at shelters. I want to do something special for others that rescue their pets so I am offering free bath, blow, nails and ears for anyone that brings their paperwork in within a month of adopting or half off of a full groom.

I am attaching a flyer that I made up that can be printed and given to your pet parents when they adopt. If you cannot print it out and would like me to mail you or bring some to you, please let me know.

Thanks for everything you do!!

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,020
Anonymous 12-14-07

This is the little lady I rescued as the result of an ad placed in the Times Herald by D&D Kennel, 13075 Jeddo Road, getting rid of “older female poodle for $50”. She appears to be about 10 years old, has more than likely been used for breeding for all the years of her life, one litter after the other – until last puppies were born dead, according to Doreen Wayrynen. Obviously, her mouth tells you that her entire body must be infected and has been for many years. And of course, there is no doubt that the puppies she has produced, and that have been sold, will even though vet attempts to guarantee current health, in a few years will show stress under which they were held until birth. And all of this is legal. Breeders are getting away with unhealthy and inhumane treatment of their possessions and nobody is doing anything about it. The vets on record for each kennel, should be required to pay two or three visits a year at the cost of the kennel and their reports should be available to when St. Clair County makes their yearly inspection. When and if the County Commissions and our County Treasurer, Kelly Roberts-Burnett, who is the only one right now who has the authority to license kennels, get around to admitting that they must rewrite and/or admin the existing Dog Ordinance of 1875 and develop a new set of rules and regulation for licensing kennels, and duties of the Animal Control personnel, a lot of things could be made better for these poor captives. As I type this on Dec 14, 2007, the little poodle in this picture is being taken care of: infection will be medicated, she will be spayed, she’ll never again be caged, she will run and play in the grass she has never before felt, she will be well taken care of for the rest of her life.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,021
If that wasn't tear jerking enough, the poodle was also rescued with this maltese.

Anonymous Dec 14, 2007

Doreen Wayrynen, the breeder, was asking $120 for a female maltese. The rescuer paid $60. She could hardly open her eyes as if she had an eye infection/condition or was kept in a dark place. She could not poop and was using her mouth to get it out. She was later adopted out to someone who works in a nursing home. She rides around on a water cart.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,023

Protestors, pet store owner at odds over puppy practices

Published: Thursday, April 14, 2011

http://www.sourcenews...­

By SEAN DELANEY

Supporters of Shaggy Dog Puppies and protestors who accused the store of supporting bad breeding practices fought over space with signs held high during a demonstration April 8 outside the pet shop, located on Van Dyke, north of 21 Mile Road.

Several area pet stores, including Shaggy Dog Puppies in Shelby Township, were targeted recently by a group of protestors who claim the stores obtain their animals from commercial breeding facilities known as puppy mills.

"We're protesting Shaggy Dog Puppies today (April 8) because they sell from a large commercial breeder in St. Clair County and we have evidence they also worked with an out-of-state breeder in the past in Tennessee," said Pam Sordyl, spokeswoman for Puppy Mill Awareness of Southeast Michigan, an online group working to end the mass production of dogs in commercial kennels.

Shaggy Dog Puppies owner Donna Ahrens has denied the allegations.

"Most of my breeders are home breeders," Ahrens said in a statement. "I am very, very careful where I get my puppies. I have had the same breeders for years."

Ahrens, who has owned Shaggy Dog Puppies for approximately 22 years, said the group had been protesting outside her store for about a week.

"They do not have one complaint about me," Ahrens said. "They just want to close down every pet store and breeder that sells puppies."

But Sordyl said that isn't the case.

"We don't want to shut her down," she said. "We're here to promote adoption awareness."

According to Sordyl, Puppy Mill Awareness of Southeast Michigan has asked Ahrens to stop selling puppies and switch to adoption events only.

"We think she could do just fine with her grooming services without selling puppies," Sordyl said..

"They believe people should only buy rescue dogs, not puppies," she said. "Should people not have a choice? It's like telling people that they can only adopt and not have children of their own."

Ahrens also criticized the group for implying that her store buys animals from puppy mills, which are commercial dog-breeding facilities operated with an emphasis on profits over animal welfare. Dogs and puppies often are kept in small cages, and deprived of exercise, food, veterinary care and human contact.

"I am totally against puppy mills," Ahrens said.

But some of the protestors outside the pet shop were unconvinced and called on passersby to boycott the store.

"I think people should boycott Shaggy Dog at least until they switch to adoption," said Olivia Sanchez of Clinton Township. "It's not necessarily about the dogs, it's about the breeding dogs and the condition they're in. We're just trying to educate the public to get them to realize what they're getting into."

For more information about Puppy Mill Awareness of Southeast Michigan, visit www.meetup.com/puppymillawareness

Shaggy Dog Puppies is located at 47567 Van Dyke in Shelby Township. The store can be reached at 731-3033.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,024
The Source Newspaper video interviews 4/8/11

Marsha
user 12767172
Rochester, MI
Post #: 11
Hi Pam,

Just thought you might get a kick out of knowing that in a Facebook remembrance page about growing up in Shelby Township, a huge fight started over Shaggy Dog. Keep up the good fight.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,447
YELP REVIEW

Marwa F.
Charter Township of Clinton, MI

Update - 10/7/2012

There seems to be some false advertising going on at this store. On Saturday, August 4th, 2012 I visited Shaggy Dog (47567 Van Dyke, Shelby, MI) after seeing their "Rescue Dog Adoption" sign up by the road. My boyfriend and I have been looking through shelters for a couple of weeks and haven't found any small breed puppies. When I saw the sign while running errands that day; I decided to stop in and browse.

I offered to donate to the rescue group that I thought was leaving their dogs at the store since by boyfriend wasnt with me and I couldnt actually adopt one that day. This is when I found out they were not rescued dogs at all!! The woman got a little flustered when I offered to make a donation and said, Oh.. well thats very nice of you but "you dont have to". Then I said I would really like to because I know how much trouble rescues can have financially. She seemed oddly resistant to my donation and I've never experienced that before... usually nonprofits are open to receiving donations. So she responded by telling me that they were not from a rescue, that she has two rescued dogs in the back room, and if I would like to see them. And she shows me two small dogs in the back room with a bunch of junk... no adoption fee near them or anything that might suggest to me that she was actually trying to get them adopted. If I hadnt asked I wouldnt have even known they were there.

So, apparently, the dogs at the front were just dogs for sale like at any pet store, and I didnt see any information as to where they had come from. I consider this false advertising -- I felt like the sign was just a way to get me in the store. I spent time playing with the puppies thinking they needed homes. The salesperson didn't actively assist me in selecting the right one for us, she just watched me from a distance as I asked her questions about the puppies. And after I had seen the "rescue" puppies in the back, she told me to come back some other time even though I wasn't ready to leave... I felt unwelcome.

Aside from feeling lied to, my concern is that these dogs are not part of some non-profit organization and the store is making money on dogs off of people who are unsuspecting and assume they're adopting. How sad..