Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup (Southeast Michigan) Message Board › Westland Dog Food Co., Inc. (Exposed)

Westland Dog Food Co., Inc. (Exposed)

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,079
Westland Customers,

You can find straw, corn, sunflower seeds and duck pellets at:

Chap's Feed Store
29216 5 Mile Road Livonia, MI 48154
(734) 421-4700

Another option to consider - Herman Brothers (810-420-5055) operates out of Marine City, but services the area by taking orders and pick-ups at 94/Michigan every Saturday.

______________________________________­_____________

Westland Dog Food Co., Inc.
K & S Pet Supplies, Inc.
37687 Ford Rd.
Westland, MI 48185

7-20-11

Hi Kim,

We spoke on the phone today. Attached is an invitation to become a “puppy friendly” store by not selling puppies. You would be the first store in Michigan to stop selling puppies and switch to adoption events only. Nearly 100 supply only stores have taken the pledge and the public is responding to this campaign.

I realize this would be a big business plan change and you would have to replace the puppy sales with something else to maintain profits. There are many stores that sell only supplies and are able to succeed in this economy. You could possibly add grooming or pet boarding services and there are always trendy accessories.

If there is anything I can do to help you transition, please let me know. I would be willing to write a press release and bring some media attention to your store. There are many great rescue groups in the area that I could connect you with.

I will check back in a few weeks if I haven’t heard from you.

Thank you again for your consideration of this idea.

Pam Sordyl
Puppy Mill Awareness of SE Michigan
734-828-1400

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,080

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,099
After the Petland protest, I dropped off the Puppy Friendly Pet Store Pledge form and invitation to Westland Dog Food Supply. The owner didn’t seem too excited about the idea and said they already work with Homeward Bound and Better Life (Redford). What rescue would work with a pet store that sells puppies? I think I know.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,105
I called Kim again to follow up on the pledge form Tuesday. She stated she had not talked to Steve, the other owner about it. It appears they are not considering our request to stop selling puppies.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,106
8/11/11

Dear Steve and Kim,

I have been researching your business operations over this past year I am deeply concerned about the out-of-state commercial breeders you are working with.

This is what Puppy Mill Awareness (PMA) is asking of Southeast Michigan pet stores including Westland Dog Food Supply

• Agree to no longer sell animals acquired from breeders in their store(s) or on the Internet.
• The only dogs transferred, sold or retailed shall be "rescued" dogs coming from shelters or 501(c)(3) rescue groups.
• Agree to make these changes in every other business in which the store may have an interest, either currently or in the future.

In exchange for the above commitment, PMA will assist stores by doing the following:

• Puppy Mill Awareness will agree to not hold peaceful demonstrations at the store(s).
• Puppy Mill Awareness agrees to help promote the store. Such promotion may include: sending out a press release, a feature on the Puppy Mill Awareness Facebook, and/or an email publication to our members;
• The Humane Society of the United States will provide stores that offer rescued dogs with a "Pet Friendly Pet Store " seal to display in the store and put the store on their website.
• Puppy Mill Awareness will help facilitate relationships with the rescue groups and shelters, through which stores may acquire rescued animals to offer for adoption.

You can reach me at xxxxx

Pam Sordyl
Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup
Southeast Michigan
http://www.meetup.com...­
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,107
Save the Date! We will need all able members to join our Puppy Mill Awareness Day protest from 12-2 in Westland. Mark your calendars and wait for the “green light” as we are kicking off the Westland Dog Food Co campaign at the end of the month. Each year we bring the media including TV cameras so we will need plenty of supporters on hand.

RSVP the Meetup Event.

Here is where we are so far with our Westland Dog Food Co Campaign:

7/20/11: A formal invitation to stop selling puppies and take the Puppy Friendly Pet Store pledge through the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) initiative was sent. The store did not respond.

8/3/11 The formal invitation and pledge form were provided in person to Kim Fourment. The store did not respond.

8/11/11 A list of expectations were sent along with an offer to support them during the business transition to adoption events only.

We hope the store will take our request seriously. We've worked with over 100 Michigan pet supply stores to sign them onto the Puppy Friendly Pet Store pledge. Unfortunately, some other stores have been reluctant to do so, and we then enacted a public campaign to educate the public about the stores’ puppy mill suppliers. Six area stores that sell puppies have closed after such campaigns were launched.

Next week we plan to send another letter saying that if the store does not opt to end its puppy mill connection, the group plans to conduct a public education campaign outside the store.

This letter will be followed by a Press Release and the findings of our investigation.

I lived in Canton and Plymouth and drove by their big PUPPIES banner on Ford Road. I know many of you feel it is time that banner comes down.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,108
08/15/11

Dear Kim & Steve,

We hope that Westland Dog Food Co. will join the ranks of many other pet supply stores across the nation by adopting a policy that would help end commercial breeding and fight pet overpopulation.

Please do your part by ending the sale of puppies through the Puppy Friendly Pet Store pledge an initiative led by the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS).

Puppy Mill Awareness of Southeast Michigan’s offer still stands. We will support your store during a transition to adoption events only. Our group is affiliated with many local area rescues and has 400 members who could be called to spread the word.

We've worked with over 100 Michigan pet supply stores to sign them onto the Puppy Friendly Pet Store pledge. Unfortunately, some other stores have been reluctant to do so, and we then enacted a public campaign to educate the public about the stores’ puppy mill suppliers. Six area stores that sell puppies have closed after such campaigns were launched.

Our investigation shows you primarily worked with Missouri breeders and brokers going back to 2001. Some have been cited for repeated violations of the Animal Welfare Act related to severe overcrowding, lack of shelter or bedding, dogs without the minimum space required, and no veterinary care.

If you choose not to end puppy sales, my organization plans to conduct a public education campaign outside the store. We would like you to pledge in writing to convert to a humane business model whether you use the HSUS pledge form or a simple signed letter.

Please call me to discuss this request.

Pam Sordyl
Puppy Mill Awareness of Southeast Michigan
734-828-1400
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,109
Group Asks Pet Store to Adopt
Puppy-Friendly Practices

Detroit area dog advocates share information
about the pet store-puppy mill connection

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 17, 2011

An animal advocacy group has sent letters to the owners of Westland Dog Food Co. located at 37687 Ford Rd., asking them to stop selling puppies that come from puppy mills and instead to feature only rescued and adoptable dogs in their store.

Pam Sordyl, director of Puppy Mill Awareness of Southeast Michigan, said “We hope that Westland Dog Food Co. will join the ranks of so many other pet supply stores across the nation and adopt a policy to help stop pet overpopulation.”

Sordyl sent a formal invitation to Westland Dog Food Co. to stop selling puppies and to take the Puppy Friendly Pet Store pledge through the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) initiative, along with an offer to support the store during its transition to adoption events only. Westland Dog Food Co. has yet to respond to the group’s requests.

“We hope the store will take our request seriously,” said Sordyl. “We've worked with over 100 Michigan pet supply stores to sign them onto the Puppy Friendly Pet Store pledge. Unfortunately, some other stores have been reluctant to do so, and we then enacted a public campaign to educate the public about the stores’ puppy mill suppliers.” Six area stores that sell puppies have closed after such campaigns were launched.

The group’s investigation of Westland Dog Food Co. shows the puppy store has primarily worked with Missouri breeders and brokers going back to 2001. One such breeder—MAM Kennels in Lamar, Missouri—was featured in an HSUS investigation. United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) inspection reports show that MAM Kennels was cited for repeated violations of the Animal Welfare Act related to severe overcrowding, lack of shelter or bedding, dogs without the minimum space required, and no veterinary care for two years. One violation report read, “There are 2 dogs - a yellow lab in pen #6 and a rottweiler in pen #64 that have injuries and need to be see by a Veterinarian. The lab is limping on the left front paw. The rottweiler is walking with a humpbacked gait and is very thin. Both of these animals must be seen by a veterinarian to access their medical condition.”

Another breeder who shipped puppies to Westland Dog Food Co. in 2011, David Remey of Boonville, Arkansas, was inspected by the USDA in December 2010. The investigator found that the outside runs of the dog enclosures had a build-up of animal waste. There were areas of the enclosure where the animals could not move freely without coming into contact with feces.

“This is disgusting,” said Sordyl. “Michigan families care about their pets, while Westland Dog Food Co. has a history of working with out-of-state breeders who are mistreating their animals.”
Over the years, Westland Dog Food Co. has worked with over 40 different out-of-state breeders and brokers, some of whom have also supplied puppies to Petland Novi. Those breeders’ kennel inventories range from 21 to 482 adult dogs.

The Michigan Department of Agriculture launched an investigation of Westland Dog Food Co.’s health certificates after finding that 44 % of its puppies were being imported illegally into the state. From June 2009 to December 2010, 25 of the puppies’ health certificates were rejected for not having the vaccinations required for import into Michigan.

Puppy Mill Awareness of Southeast Michigan sent an additional letter to Westland Dog Food Co. this week, saying that if the store does not opt to end its puppy mill connection, the group plans to conduct a public education campaign outside the store. The letter ends with the request, “We would like you to pledge in writing to convert to a humane business model.”

September 17, 2011 will mark Puppy Mill Awareness of Southeast Michigan’s 4th Annual Puppy Mill Awareness Day event. “Each year we focus our public education efforts on a store that works with large commercial dog breeders,” said Sordyl. “This year, if this store does not decide to adopt a more humane business model, we may be doing such a campaign on Ford Road in Westland.”

###

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,128
Our Puppy Mill Awareness Day Protest at Westland Dog Food Co is approaching (9/17). We have received no response from our invitations and formal letters. Last night we stopped by for a one hour “pilot” protest and again the owners would not speak with us.

7/20/11: A formal invitation to stop selling puppies and take the Puppy Friendly Pet Store pledge through the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) initiative was sent. The store did not respond.

8/3/11 The formal invitation and pledge form were provided in person to Kim Fourment. The store did not respond.

8/11/11 A list of expectations were sent along with an offer to support them during the business transition to adoption events only.

8/15/11 Final formal letter sent to Kim Fourment.

8/17/11 Press Release issued “Group Asks Pet Store to Adopt Puppy-Friendly Practices.

9/7/11 Pilot Protest.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,129
I called the store for the last time today to let them know we do plan to launch a sustained public education campaign against their store. I left my name and number if the owners would like to contact me.