Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup (Southeast Michigan) Message Board › Woof Woof Puppies & Boutique

Woof Woof Puppies & Boutique

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,133
9-11-11

Dear Joanne,

We hope that Woof Woof will join the ranks of many other pet supply stores across the nation by adopting a policy that would help end commercial breeding and fight pet overpopulation. Please do your part by not selling puppies at your new store and take the Puppy Friendly Pet Store pledge an initiative led by the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS).

Puppy Mill Awareness of Southeast Michigan’s worked with over 100 Michigan pet supply stores to sign them onto the Puppy Friendly Pet Store pledge. Unfortunately, some other stores have been reluctant to do so, and we then enacted a public campaign to educate the public about the stores’ puppy mill suppliers. Six area stores that sell puppies have closed after such campaigns were launched.

If you choose to sell puppies, my organization plans to conduct a public education campaign outside the store. We would like your pledge to be in writing to state that you plan to institute a humane business model whether you use the HSUS pledge form or a simple signed letter.

Please call me to discuss this request.

Pam Sordyl
Puppy Mill Awareness of Southeast Michigan

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,134

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,135
Karen & Joanne Zakaria "Woof Woof" Extension from KAREN ZAKARIA…her daughter JOANNE of Franklin, MI Franklin, Michigan

http://www.ripoffrepo...­

Karen & Joanne Zakaria
<Removed address posted with Ripoff Report>
Phone: (248) 562-7791
Category: Animal Services

On April 29, 2011 I located an add at http://www.oodle.com/...­ for Shih Tzu puppies for sale. I noticed that the seller, Joanne (daughter of Karen Zakaria) in Franklin, MI had pics of a lovely litter. I decided to give her a call and inquire on the Shih Tzu she named Wiggles. Joanne was very pleasant and appeared to be very knowledgeable as a breeder and admit she got in the business due to her mom. She allowed my daughter and I to come over that late evening. We met Wiggles and I immediately without making comment knew why she was named Wiggles…she was clean but was whining and shaking continuously. I didn’t think anything of it because Joanne informed me that she was the “runt” of the litter. Joanne proceeded to inform me that she had a litter of Yorkie Poo’s just as well and I agreed to take a look at them. She has a room in the basement that I did not have a chance to look inside to see the set up of puppy litters.Joanne brought out 3 male Teacup Yorkie Poo’s and of course I immediately fell in love with them. After some time had went by Joanne informed me that she had another litter of Shih Tzu’s as well. She brought 2 puppies out but they were dirty and had deposits all over them. My daughter and I were hesitant to hold the 2 Shih Tzu’s so we admired them for only a few minutes. I recall Joanne mentioning another puppy (Shih Tzu or Yorkie Poo) that she wasn’t going to bother by bringing out because it also had deposits all over him/her (Joanne’s words verbatim).All in the end I decided that I would purchase the largest of the Yorkie Poo. She informed me that the puppy had just gone to the vet the day before (April 28, 2011) and that he had his first set of shots and was cleared with good health. She showed me the papers and everything appeared to be legit but keep in mind this was my first time doing business with a so called “breeder”. Joanne was charging $600 for each puppy. I did not have cash on me so I had to leave to go get the funds. I returned with my husband around 10:30pm. Joanne had him all dressed in nice sweater, supplied us with some food and necessary vet paperwork.Joanne had informed me that the puppy I picked had went to Banfield Vet in Northville which is linked with PetSmart, another plus for me because I had planned to make that my puppy’s veterinarian. She also mentioned that when I go they can look up his vet history showing that he had his shots. So, the transaction was completed. During this time I also learned that Joanne plans to open a pet store named “WOOF WOOF” on Northwestern Hwy in Southfield, MI. She made reference that the store will open in 3 weeks. She had me to sign off of puppy purchase with “WOOF WOOF” letterhead. I also had to agree that I would keep her posted on the puppy and to send pics time to time. Joanne also mentioned that she takes her business seriously and that if ANYTHING goes wrong she asked for me to not hesitate with calling her no matter what time it is. She also wanted to know if he was to get sick with vomiting and diarrhea. At that time I was for happy about her concern. She also mentioned that if I had a change of mind or whatever she would be willing to give me my money back because that’s how serious she is about her puppies. So, my family and I leave all excited about our new family member UNTIL…Saturday, April 30th I had to go to the pet store to get some items. He only weighed 2.4 lbs based on the paperwork received. I took him with me but carried him in my arms the ENTIRE time because I knew he was still young and I did not want him to come into contact with other dogs. I wanted to properly fit him for a collar and talk to the vet. I completed my task and he never left the house thereafter. I was teased by my family because I carried him in the house or he would lie in my lap. If I sat him down he was placed in his brand new bed. He appeared to be laid back and not very active. I couldn’t get him to eat the IAMS Joanne claimed she was feeding him but, he ate some canned puppy food twice while we had him. He had spit up twice that day and wouldn’t eat. So, I immediately texted Joanne explaining the situation. She claimed that it’s an adjustment phase and check for poop on his bottom. I did all of that and finally he ate the canned food at 10:05pm and I texted Joanne with the info.Sunday, May 1st he eats, drinks some water and plays a little but continued to spit up a few more times throughout the day. Later he became quite lazy and primarily slept. That evening he began to vomit even though he didn’t have much on his stomach. He would drink water and immediately vomit (clear and yellow) sometime after. He wasn’t pooping much and if he did it was diarrhea and I couldn’t distinguish from the vomit. I thought for a second that he was depressed and missing his brothers.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,136
(ripoff report continued)

My children kept questioning me about his behavior.Monday, May 2nd arrives and he is left at home alone for the first time due to us having to go to work and school. Well, his behavior changed for the worst with more and more vomit and no activity. I began to really stress and worry then. Tuesday, May 3rd I decide to call and get him in early to Banfield vet in Southfield. I left work early to find out that my puppy tested positive with PARVO. He then dropped down to 1.90 lbs and was dehydrated. I couldn’t afford to pay a couple of thousands to hospitalize him even though it was not a guarantee that he would live. I immediately called Joanne and spoke to her and I had her on the phone as the doctor was explaining the issues. She claimed she could not hear the doctor but couldn't believe this has happened However, she talked to me as I was leaving the facility and while I ended up having an anxiety attack over the situation. I proceeded to take him to the Michigan Humane Society to hopefully save on costs but, they do not hospitalize, I would have to bring him there daily (I have minimum days off available) and they proceeded to tell me that dogs with Parvo have a 50/50 chance of surviving. Sadly to say I had to surrender him to the MI Humane Society. Both facilities had asked me questions in regards to my care and they explained how dogs get Parvo. Considering I only had the Yorkie Poo for FOUR days they informed me that he had to contact the disease from his mom or the litter of puppies that resided at Joanne’s home.All in the end I lost a handsome puppy, money, time away from work and gained extra stress because after several
conversations with Joanne she may be willing to give me half my money back. She clearly explained to me that she could not take the puppy back because of the Parvo. Joanne does not believe that the puppy contracted Parvo from her home. She believes that we picked it up via our hands or shoes at PetSmart or somewhere else. After finding out that she also, like the mother has a history of selling sick puppies and both have a connect/contract deal with the PetSmart/Banfield Store Manager in Northville, MI which I have contacted, no response yet I was devastated. When I called the store they truly did not want to answer any of my questions. I also found out that Joanne &/or her mother denied vaccinations at Banfield but of course, she now states that they administer their own vaccines. Karen has the "contract" with the Banfield Store manager. Joanne admitted she just joined the business with her mom a month ago.I am praying that she finds it in her heart to refund all my money in cash like it was given to her and consider refunding me the vet and euthanasia costs.PLEASE BEWARE OF not only KAREN ZAKARIA but her daughter JOANNE in Franklin, MI (13 mile and Franklin Rd)!!! They truly need to be stopped and arrested due to animal cruelty. You live and learn but I hope this is beneficial and a warning to others!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 5/4/2011 10:01:51 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffrepo...­.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,159
Dear Joanne,

You have not been transparent regarding the breeders that will be providing the puppies. You stated to me that your mother will be the only supplier. According to the Animal Control records, she only has four dogs licensed. I am guessing she does not breed them every year.

I recommend you fully disclose your breeder names if you are indeed proud of their operations.

I am asking for the public and will be asking the public to continue to ask these questions. If someone is spending $600 on a puppy they should know where the puppy was raised and you should be proud of your suppliers.

Again, we hope that you join the ranks of many other pet supply stores across the nation by adopting a policy that would help end commercial breeding and fight pet overpopulation.

Please do your part by not selling puppies at your new store and take the Puppy Friendly Pet Store pledge an initiative led by the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS).

My group, Puppy Mill Awareness of Southeast Michigan, has worked with over 100 Michigan pet supply stores to sign them onto the Puppy Friendly Pet Store pledge.

If you choose to sell puppies, my organization will continue our public education campaign outside the store. We would like your pledge to be in writing to state that you plan to institute a humane business model whether you use the HSUS pledge form or a simple signed letter.
Please call me to discuss this second request.

Pam Sordyl
Puppy Mill Awareness of Southeast Michigan
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,160
Joanne, the store owner, replied to my letter:

"I recommend you contact our attorney you have his info:) "

When I first spoke to Joanne, she would not tell me who would be supplying the puppies. She wanted to talk to her attorney before she released this information. She had stated that her mother was in business a long time and works with many other licensed breeders. Then she called me back the same day and left a message stating she would love to talk to me and answer any questions I had.

When I called her back, she still did not provide breeder names. She only stated that her mother would be supplying all the puppies and therefore did not need to be USDA licensed.

So I have sent two letters and talked with Joanne twice and still do not know who will be supplying the breeders. Her attorney stated that it is none of my business.

What are they hiding???

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,161
I have a text message from Joanne stating that she does not know who Karen Zakaria is. However, Jeff Sesi, is listed as living in Raymond Zakaria's condo at <removed address>, Franklin, mi. Jeff Sesi’s phone number is listed with Joanne’s in an online puppy ad and in a letter from their attorney.

Raymond Zakaria appears to be living with Karen Zakaria who has multiple rip-off reports.

RAYMOND ZAKARIA
41714 DUKESBURY
NORTHVILLE, MI 48375

Also owns this condo that Jeffery Sesi appears to be living at:

JEFFREY SESI
<removed address>
FRANKLIN, MI 48025 (248) 562-7791

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,163
Here is a list of Rip-off Reports against both Karen Zakaria and Joanne Francis. Including an Animal Control Complaint, there have been 5 cases of parvo puppies sold this year!!! Three had died.

April 4, 2007
Karen Zakaria ANIMAL ABUSER , CLAIMS TO BE A BREEDER, IS NOT. CHECK WITH POLICE NOVI Michigan
Jennifer, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
kennel cough, bronchitis, and early pneumonia.

September 29, 2006
Karen Zakaria ripoff Novi Michigan
Donna, Northville, Michigan
SAME AS ABOVE with modified story.

March 18, 2008
Karen Zakaria Shih Tzu Puppies Not a Breeder Novi, Michigan
Jam Farmington Hills, Michigan
Poor breeding, died

August 6, 2009
Karen Zakaria SICK DOGS Novi Michigan
*UPDATE by author: Problem Solved!
G.Gary, Sterling Heights, Michigan
Parvo, Died.

May 04, 2011
Karen Zakaria Runs a suburban puppy mill in Novi, Michigan
*UPDATE by author: Issue Resolved
Katiz78k — White Lake
Parvo. Died. Yorkie Poo,. Photo. Cash back.

May 3, 2011
Karen & Joanne Zakaria
User860681
SAME AS ABOVE
http://www.scamtracer...­

May 3, 2011
Karen & Joanne Zakaria
Parvo. Two Puppies. One died.
Comments from Ginix86 - Purchased from Joanne
http://www.scamtracer...­

May 18, 2011
Karen & Joanne Zakaria "Woof Woof" Extension from KAREN ZAKARIA…her daughter JOANNE of Franklin, MI Franklin, Michigan
Anonymous — Detroit
Parvo. Surrended to MHS. Yorkie-Poo
Case Resolved

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,164
Animal Control stated they keep receiving complaints against Karen Zakaria:

6-5-2009: Shih Tzu Per Caller 30-40 living in unsanitary conditions. Per caller, lady at this address is breeding dogs. Check for F/W/S and health of dogs. No licenses on file for this address.

4-2-10: Welfare check on shih-tzu at this address. Many dogs and puppies/dogs are in poor shape per caller. Caller states that there are about 30 dogs. There are seven 2009 licenses on file.

6-30-11: Person selling parvo dogs.

3-16-11: Possible puppy mill. Poor conditions.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,165
As of today, I have collected 10 complaints between Karen Zakaria and Joanne Francis. Six puppies had parvo and five died!