addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup (Southeast Michigan) Message Board › Utica Pet Supply/The Little Pet Shop (Exposed)

Utica Pet Supply/The Little Pet Shop (Exposed)

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,285
WHY BOYCOTT THIS STORE?

Utica Pet Supply (45460 Van Dyke Road) has a history of working with large out-of-state commercial breeders. Happy Tails Kennels in Minnesota supplied puppies from 2003-2006. The Detroit Free Press exposed this puppy mill connection and listed Utica Pet Supply as one of the top importers of puppies in Michigan.

Puppy Mill Awareness’s investigation revealed the store has continued to work with large out-of-state breeders in Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas. One such breeder—Canterbury Tails Pets, LLC, Kansas—shipped 15 puppies to Utica Pet Supply for the 2011 holiday season. United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) inspection reports show that Canterbury Tails Pets was cited for serious violations of the Animal Welfare Act related to lack of veterinary care. One violation report read, “White Lhasa has pink flesh protrusions from the 3rd eyelids of both eyes. This dog has thick creamy discharge and cloudy corneas of both eyes. Eye conditions such as these can cause pain and loss of vision”. Another dog was reported to have a laceration on the right shoulder two inches in length with fresh blood. Canterbury Tails Pets inventory reports show they kennel between 370 – 450 adult dogs.

Another breeder who has shipped puppies to Utica Pet Supply, Brian Sterrenberg of Joyce, Iowa, was inspected by the USDA in January 2010. The investigator found that the outside runs were full of ice, snow and fecal material. “Had a bad snow storm 1 week ago and runs should have been cleaned by now”. This affected 95 animals.

Currently, the Better Business Bureau is also giving this store a failing grade -- Rated F.

Download Fact Sheet
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,292
SICK BOXER CASE

During our Friday, April 13th 2012 protest a man stopped to tell us he purchased a sick 12 week old Boxer from Utica Pet Supply in 2010. He was very upset with the store. He provided me with a letter from his veterinarian -- giardia and kennel cough, $700 in vet bills. The puppy was sick for weeks. The diagnosis was made 24 hours after the purchase. The store did nothing for him.

Download Letter from Veterinarian

4/20/12

Hello Pam,

I was excited to see a group of protesters demonstrating outside of Utica Pet Supply last Friday (April 13th, 2012) as I was driving home from work. Not because I am now a very strong advocator for adopting dogs from rescues, but because I actually purchased a dog with my younger brother at that store on August 11th, 2010.

My dog of almost 16 years, Troubles, was very ill with arthritis and had to be put down one morning. My youngest brother had known Troubles since he was around 3 years old and was very heartbroken when he passed. So to try and cheer him up we stopped in Utica Pet Supply to take a look at some new puppies. Troubles had been mixed with a Boxer and when I told the owner/employee (because he has changed his title on different occasions when it suits him most) my dog was part Boxer he was so thrilled to show me these two puppies he had that were pure Boxer! He showed us both a male and a female, one brindle (male) and the other fawn (female).

Knowing him and I were both very interested in the dog he insisted that the two were NOT related to each other so they would be okay if separated. We went along with it along with a few other stories he had to share. Like for instance, that the dogs were not from puppy mills and they were in fact from a respectable breeder they use all the time! Also, the dog was deemed with good health and has digested solid feces for several weeks now. And then the biggest story of them all, the dog does not suffer from any common pet store sicknesses like kennel cough or giardia. Well, my brother had the cash on him and purchased the dog for both of us to have for $649.00 (plus tax) and we were on our way.

As soon as we got home I made a phone call to my veterinarian’s office to make an appointment to have him examined. I live about 3-4 minutes from Utica Pet Supply. As soon as we got home, he defecated in the house and it was very watery, loose diarrhea. Then we noticed his cough. So I called my vet back and asked if we could get him any earlier but we could not. So we waited until the next morning. As stated in the letter I gave you last week, Paws (my Boxer puppy) was diagnosed with giardia and kennel cough. The letter states they discovered several giardia trophozoides.

When I got home, I called Utica Pet Supply right away to inform them of the findings from my vet. The man I spoke with (again, the large man who works there who claims he is the owner on some days and an employee on others) said that it was impossible and my vet was, “taking me for a ride”! I have been using the same vet for over a decade and never once have I been taken for a ride. They are actually the fairest priced vet in Metro Detroit. He also told me that he must of contracted the disease from my dog at home, Zoey. But being informed by my vet I told him with the facts that the incubation period of giardia in dogs is 1-2 weeks meaning that it takes 1-2 weeks post infection for the dog to start showing symptoms he told me that I was not a vet and didn’t know what I was talking about.

My vet bills that I kept for the first month I owned Paws totaled over $224 and as a result of the infection cost me several hundred more dollars over the following 2 months. I could not find those bills, but my vets office has confirmed that in one year I spent almost $1,000 on Paws as a result from complications involving kennel cough and giardia. He is also on a special diet that requires him to only eat one type of dog food that costs almost $50/bag. I do not mind spending the money at all on my dog or his food, but you expect when you buy a pet from a store that the pet is healthy.

After countless phone calls with the man who works there and faxing him the vets letter that basically blames his pet store for the infection, nothing happened. He told me the only way I’d get reimbursed is if the dog in fact passed away within 1 year. I was not helped out with one penny from his store to treat the infection he received from Utica Pet Supply. And every time I contacted him, I was talked down to like a 12 year old child who knew nothing about dogs! Also, he insisted when we were purchasing the puppy that the female pup was NOT his sister. But when I would call about the health of my new puppy he was quick to tell me that Paws’ sister was completely healthy and nothing was wrong with her. And when I asked him, “wait I thought they were not related” he continued on telling me he never would say such a thing.

All in all my experience with this store was completely negative. From receiving a sick dog, poor customer service, and constant belittling from the staff, I would STRONGLY urge anyone out there to boycott this store. I can’t believe that someone like him is in business. I have read very similar reviews on the internet about his store so this is not the first time this has happened. And I don’t think there is some type of conspiracy out there that would have people making up stories about him and his store.

Also, I would like to add that after writing this letter my mother informed me that she bought our family dog, Peanut, from Utica Pet Supply some 12 years ago. Peanut died when he was 9 years old from congestive heart failure. The life expectancy for a miniature pincer is 12-15 years. The vet told me it was something that he most likely carried his whole life (as far as a heart problem) but went undetected.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,293
SICK YORKIE-POO CASE

Diane Shekell shared her sick dog case with us on video at our Saturday, April 14th 2012 protest. She purchased a Yorkie-poo from Utica Pet Supply back in 2002. Around the age of five they started dealing with all sorts of problems: 1) two surgeries on her back legs, 2) undiagnosed respiratory problem – troubles breathing 3) Cushings 4) pancreas problems including overnight stays at the hospital.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,294
Meetup Members,

Last weekend we kicked off our first set of Round-A-Bout protests at Utica Pet Supply –-- all weekend long--- Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

On Friday, the owner came out and took photos of us circling in the sidewalk. Since our last pilot protest March 12th he posted a sign that reads "Intimidation causing fear interferring violates the Animal Enterprise Terriorism Act”. As far as I know, I am not violating any federal laws—we are simply protesting.

SICK BOXER: During our Friday protest a man stopped to tell us he purchased a sick 12 week old Boxer from Utica Pet Supply in 2010. He was very upset with the store. He provided me with a letter from his veterinarian -- giardia and kennel cough, $700 in vet bills. The puppy was sick for weeks. The diagnosis was made 24 hours after the purchase. The store did nothing for him.

On Saturday, we had nine protesters in the pouring rain! It was great to have Cathy and Jimmy back from Petland Westland. The Shekell family joined us with enthusiasm.

SICK YORKIE-POO: Diane Shekell shared her sick dog case with us on video. They purchased a Yorkie-poo from Utica Pet Supply back in 2002. Around the age of five they started dealing with all sorts of problems: 1) two surgeries on her back legs, 2) undiagnosed respiratory problem – troubles breathing 3) Cushings 4) pancreas problems including overnight stays at the hospital.

We wrapped up Sunday with several passer-bys stopping for information.

Please join us this weekend for our next set of ALL weekend protests.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,299
SICK YORKIE CASE

Kristin Pinkes posted to Utica Pet Supply
January 22, 2012

I did the wrong thing by purchasing my dogs from a pet store. I heard so many bad things about this place but I fell in love with a puppy and had to have her. The only thing wrong with her was really bad diarrhea not to bad. Then I purchase a yorkie there she was on sale for 500 they told me she was that cheap because she was 16 weeks old and that's to old for there store. Ok maybe that sounds legit I thought. Then 10 days after I bought her I had to rush her to the hospital where she stayed for a week and a half in a oxygen cage. They told us that she wouldn’t make it. Every night when I left Id idn’t know if Id see her the next morning. She had kennel cough that led to pneumonia! Its hard to say anything nice now when you know how a dog gets kennel cough. We spent 5000 trying to save her life, she got sick 7 days before Christmas! It took 8 month for her to fully recover. She has a collapsed trachea and has to be on cough medication otherwise she can’t breathe. Yesterday I went to the vet for a check up and found out that she has LUXATION patella! Pls plse pls don’t by from here, look some where else! She is 1 year and 6 months and Im saddedn to say within her short life so far it doesn’t look like she’ll be around for long. ALL OF HER MEDICAL PROBLEMS ARE INBREEDING AND POOR LIVING ENVIRONMENTS! I just look at the store, but most importantly look at there cages. Not guess what you want to see buy the price on the board.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,303
Insider Pages Reviews for Utica Pet Supply

http://fwix.com/revie...­

★☆☆☆☆ Disgraceful petstore
E M. 1 Utica Pet Supply
Really? you think this is such a great place? You got LUCKY then. I bought my puppy from here ( stupid mistake on my end to BUY from a pet store) and ended up spending $500 in vet bill 2 days AFTER I bought her. This place is a disgrace do your research, adopt from a reputable breeder NOT a petstore. They don't care about these puppies' (obviously because from your bad reviews, your dogs are from mills) Check out The Michigan Humane Society's website im sure you'll love the stories from puppies dying, and people putting tons of money into their dogs. I hope you get shut down petstores need to stop selling puppies!
Report Abuse
Was this review helpful to you?
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,304
YELP ONLINE REVIEWS

http://www.yelp.com/b...­

12/28/2011

PUPPY MILL DOGS! Do not support them! Don't even go into the store! i went in once to see the puppies and give them some attention and one of the puppies had on a collar the i couldn't even put one finger in between! We told the employee that that was dangerous and made her change the collar in front of us! she was very pissed off and basically shooed us out of the store! Those POOR PUPPIES!

6/10/2011
http://www.michiganhu...­
they're one of the largest importers of dogs from out of state/puppy mills in metro Detroit. My mom and I walked in here one day, just to check the place out. When you walk in, you won't see puppies. Nope, they're hidden in the back behind a wall. So, how do you go about meeting the pups? They have a whiteboard hanging up on the wall with the breeds they offer listed and you "order" them, fast food style. So shady. They brought four different dogs out to us and all four of them were filthy. We promptly left; I was in tears (what can I say? I'm an animal lover...). My mom called animal control to report the incident. AC said they'd received several complaints and that they would check things out. This incident happened two years ago, the article I posted was written six years ago, yet they're still open. Apparently, places like these must be hard to shut down. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE..if you want a puppy, check out your local shelter or http://petfinder.com...­. Both are usually cheaper than pet stores,the pups aren't from puppy mills and you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you saved a life.

7/13/2011
We needed some pet supplies, and found this place days after moving to the area. However, they carry (known!) puppymill puppies. I won't purchase anything from them, and have no desire to return, no matter how many fake reviews they post. Stick to supplies, and not live animals. K

4/16/2011
First off I will say that Utica Pet Supply does have good prices for their puppies, but you are gambling when it comes to the puppy you take home. I have heard from others that their puppies had serious health problems not more than a week after taking them home. I on the other hand seem to have lucked out that my dog is healthy, but both a friend of mine and I bought our puppies from there where you have to buy a big bag of dog food (i think 25 lb.) that they say is very good and is what is fed to the animals. However, in my experience and my friend's we both had a horrible problem with our dogs having diarrhea from the food which stopped as soon as we stopped feeding our dogs that mediocre food. Even with my dog being healthy, she was about 5 months old and used to peeing and pooping anywhere and even walking in it since that's how she was kept. Even when I bought her she was not even groomed at all and her hair was growing wildly since she wasn't a young expensive puppy, as I saw that they groomed ~8 week old yorkies. If you notice you don't get to see how the puppies are kept because its behind in an area not visible to the public. I happened to need to use the restroom when my friend was buying their puppy, and passed the area where they kept them. They had several puppies to a small cage crammed inside, many of them just sitting in their own feces since there was no other space for them to be. The older "sale" puppies were in a play pen on the floor which was filled with urine and feces, yet they had no space to move around with them constantly bumping and climbing over each other. They may give you an excuse of why you don't see all the puppies, but it's pretty obvious they don't want you to see the living conditions of the puppies. It is apparent the store is not very big, but how is possible for them to be able to house that many puppies they have listed in such a small space? I really love my dog and do everything I can to make her life as good as possible, but when I think about how she had to spend so many months at that store I feel sorry for her. They have a surplus of dogs that they can't sell and end up clearance pricing them, so they can bring in more younger puppies to sell to the public. Though it's family owned, they seem to be worse than a chain pet store where at least you can see the living conditions of the dogs.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,305
YAHOO ONLINE REVIEWS

http://local.yahoo.co...­

Kristin- Posted on 01/21/12
I did the wrong thing by purchasing my dogs from a pet store. I heard so many bad things about this place but I fell in love with a puppy and had to have her. The only thing wrong with her was really bad diarrhea not to bad. Then I purchase a yorkie there she was on sale for 500 they told me she was that cheap because she was 16 weeks old and that's to old for there store. Ok maybe that sounds legit I thought. Then 10 DAYS after I bought her I had to rush her to the hospital where she stayed for a week and a half in a oxygen cage. They told us that she wouldn't make it. Every night when I left I didn't know if Id see her the next morning. She had kennel cough that led to pneumonia! It's hard to say anything nice now when you know how a dog gets kennel cough. We spent over 5000 trying to save her life, she got sick 7 days before Christmas! It took 8 month for her to fully recover. She has a collapsed trachea and has to be on cough medication otherwise she can't breathe. Yesterday I went to the vet for a check up and found out that she has LUXATION patella! Pls pls pls don't buy from here look some where else! She 1 year and 6 months, and Im sadden to say within her short life so far it doesnt look like she'll be around for long. ALL OF HER MEDICAL PROBLEMS ARE INBREEDING AND POOR LIVING ENVIRONMENT! IJust look at there store, but most importantly look at there cages. WHY at any other pet shop are all the dog out so you can see them. Not guess what dog you want to see buy the price on there board.

G.L.M. - Posted on 11/04/09
My Mother had just bought a puppy for you and it sick. he has kennel cough
over 2 years

Personal Unidentified
You must work for them or are related to them and are trying to clear there name because they sell very very sick puppies. Puppies have not only 1 but several parasites. Requires alot of money to cure and that is if you can some die from these parasites. Transmitable to other pets and humans. They have numerous complaints against them. They need to be put out of business running a puppy mill. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. This person a LIAR. All there puppies are very sick.

Douglas - Posted on 08/27/09
DO NOT BUY FROM THIS STORE!!! THEY HAVE SERIOUS HEALTH PROBLEMS WITH THEIR PUPPIES. ...AFTER 3 MONTHS [b]MY FIRST PUPPY DIED SUDDENLY BUT COULD NOT PROVE IT CAME FROM THE STORE, I FELL IN LOVE AGAIN WITH ANOTHER PUPPY WHO WHEN I GOT HER HOME HAD BLOOD IN HER STOOL THAT DAY, AND WHEN I CALLED THEY SAID IT WAS FROM THE FOOD AND IT HAPPENS DURING WEANING YEAH, RIGHT! I TOOK HER TO THE VET THE NEXT DAY,THANK GOODNESS I SENSED SOMETHING WAS SERIOUSLY WRONG!! WHEN I FOUND OUT WHAT WAS WRONG I CALLED TO INFORM THEM THEIR ANIMALS HAVE GIARDIA AND SHOULD HAVE ALL THEIR ANIMALS CHECKED. THIS TERRIBLE CONTAGIOUS DISEASE CAN KILL THEM AND OTHER PETS IN THE HOUSE. THEY JUST DIDN'T SEEM TO CARE ABOUT THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION!! THIS IS A COSTLY DISEASE TO GET RID OF. PLEASE DON'T GO THERE OR TO THE VET NEXT DOOR! THEY WORK TOGETHER!!!

Nana - Posted on 07/18/08
DO NOT Buy a pet from this place. The puppies are sick. My puppy had kennel cough to begin with, and then he had 2 types of parasites in his stool. When entering the store there is a board on the wall and you select the dog according to breed/gender/price ? You dont see where they crate the dogs???? They over vaccinate these dogs and my dog who now after several antibiotics and special diets. They assured me that my dog would not get bigger than 7lbs, he is 10. He is no toy dog...thats for sure. They are not clear as to where the dogs come from and they do not show you "original AKC" papers, however they sell you dogs at top dollar. I was so disapointed. I reported these folks to MHS and the Dept of Agriculture for asn investigation. Please take caution....I fortunatly had the funds to treat my puppy but some others may not be able to afford meds and vet bills.

Pepper Mill - Posted on 05/01/08
We bought 2 dogs from Utica Pet supply and now 5 years later we are still happy. They fit into our family perfect. We did have to have surgery on one of our dogs for a knee problem (which is common in its breed), but they are both in great health. Thank you Utica Pet Supply for the great addition to our family.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,311
DERFORMED MALTESE

Mr. Coda stopped to share his stories about a Maltese his family purchased 10 years ago. The dog’s legs were deformed and his testicles did not descend.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,387
2011 POLICE REPORT:

On 11/28/11 a police report was filed after a disgruntled woman (Abu-Joudeh) caused a disturbance at the store over a sick dog. Rather than resolve her issues, John does not want her in the store. No wonder his BBB rating is F!