Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup (Southeast Michigan) Message Board › Utica Pet Supply/The Little Pet Shop (Exposed)

Utica Pet Supply/The Little Pet Shop (Exposed)

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,426
Canterbury Tails Pets, LLC, Kansas—shipped 22 puppies to Utica Pet Supply since the 2011 holiday season. United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) inspection reports show that serious violations of the Animal Welfare Act related to lack of veterinary care. White Lhasa has pink flesh protrusions from the 3rd “eyelids of both eyes. This dog has thick creamy discharge and cloudy corneas of both eyes. Eye conditions such as these can cause pain and loss of vision”. Another dog was reported to have a laceration on the right shoulder two inches in length with fresh blood. Inventory reports show they have between 370 – 450 adult dogs! This is a puppy mill!

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,453

John Goeth of Utica Pet Supply sells out!

Meetup Members,

Protesting has proven to be a very successful campaign approach and we plan to continue pounding the pavement this holiday season. We know protesting is effective. How do we know? Puppy stores have closed after 6-months of regular protests including Petland Westland and Paws N Claws, Eastpointe. Yesterday, we learned Utica Pet Supply sold out after 13 years of puppy peddling. They know it is a not a good time to sell puppies. Our protests in Utica will continue through the holidays and we will continue to ask the store’s new owners to go humane.

Below is a list of our holiday protests by city. Please RSVP on our Meetup. Thank you!~ Pam

Utica, Mi
Saturday, December 8, 2012 from 11:45 – 1:45
Saturday, December 15th, 2012 from 11:45- 1:45
Tuesday, December 18th, 2012 from 11:45- 1:45
Thursday, December 20th, 2012 from 4:00 – 6:00
­Friday, December 21st, 2012 from 4:00 – 6:00
Saturday, December 22nd, 2012 from 11:45- 1:45

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,454

Goeth Retired! Not sure if we ran him out of the business or where he has moved on too, but John and Roxanne are no longer selling puppies after 13 years of peddling. During our weekly protests we noticed that he stopped video taping us and then a new crew was migrating in. We thought possibly that Goeth had coverage for the Thanksgiving holiday. Maybe he was taking a long vacation? Something wasn’t right. We called the city and discovered there are new owners. Although puppy sales continue, this is a clear sign that our campaign was effective.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,455

Meet the new owners of Utica Pet Supply. I spoke with Aziz Petros yesterday asking him if he planned to use the same breeders as Goeth. He stated they are different and from out of state. He did not feel comfortable providing the names to me. I stated he will be expected to be more transparent than Goeth as people want to know the truth. If you don’t tell the public where the puppies are coming from, you are hiding something. Protests will continue.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,457

Protests will continue at Utica Pet Supply

Dear Mr. Petros,

We spoke this week about your out-of-state breeders and our active public education campaign against your store. I am concerned that you are also working with similar commercial breeders and they are coming from distant states. This is a clear sign they are puppy mills.

Thank you for taking the time to discuss my concerns and I wanted to remind you that my offer to help you research the breeders online before you purchase from these new kennels is still open. I do not need to come into the store to show you how to do this. Feel free to call me and I can walk you through the USDA website that shows recent inspection reports and inventory numbers. You can also research breeders on Pet Shop Puppies.

Unfortunately, since you plan to continue to sell puppies, my organization, Puppy Mill Awareness of SE Michigan will continue protesting. We will not be coming into your store or calling you. This is not personal and you should not feel any way threatened. If you ever want to talk to us while we are out front, please feel free to approach us. We will not yell or harass your customers, but we do plan to offer them literature about the breeders and puppy mills.

It also concerns me that you yourself may not know about puppy mills. Please do your homework and consider the breeding dogs that you will never see if you are ordering them online. Never purchase from a kennel that you have not visited. How will you ever be able to be honest with customers, your neighbors, if you do not visit the breeders.

This is what Puppy Mill Awareness (PMA) is asking of Southeast Michigan pet stores including Utica Pet Supply:

• Agree to no longer sell animals acquired from breeders in their store(s) or on the Internet.
• The only dogs transferred, sold or retailed shall be "rescued" dogs coming from shelters or 501(c)(3) rescue groups.
• Agree to make these changes in every other business in which the store may have an interest, either currently or in the future.

In exchange for the above commitment, Puppy Mill Awareness will assist stores by doing the following:

• Puppy Mill Awareness will agree to not hold peaceful demonstrations at the store(s).
• Puppy Mill Awareness will agree to help promote the store. Such promotion may include: sending out a press release, a feature on the Puppy Mill Awareness Facebook, and/or an email publication to our members;
• The Humane Society of the United States will provide stores that offer rescued dogs with a "Pet Friendly Pet Store " seal to display in the store and put the store on their website.
• Puppy Mill Awareness will help facilitate relationships with the rescue groups and shelters, through which stores may acquire rescued animals to offer for adoption.
You can reach me at xxx.

Pam Sordyl
Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup
Southeast Michigan
734-828-1400
http://www.meetup.com...­
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,458
This man approached our protest yesterday and told us that Goeth, former owner of Utica, is headed to Texas. We will make sure his new city officials know his cruelty record here in Michigan. May he never sell animals again. Notice the cute Shih-mix looking over his shoulder? Purchased from Utica 8 years ago. She suffers from allergies.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,575
http://m.bizbuysell.c...­

Pet Supply Shop / Seller says SELL!!
Asking Price:
$12,500

Gross Income:
$100,000

Inventory:
$16,000

Contact Seller ▶
OWNER SAYS SELL!! This is a pet supply shop that sells pedigree puppies, mostly small breeds such as Cock-A-Poos, Maltese, Yorkies, etc. In addition, they sell crates, cages, dog beds, play enclosures, collars, harnesses, leashes, grooming supplies, vitamins and quality canine foods. It has existed many years and has been in its current location since 1999. Because they purchase the puppies from reputable, licensed breeders, the puppies are healthy and their customers trust has been well established. The puppies are guaranteed for one year in the rare event of a genetic issue that results in an illness. Micro chips that allow the dogs to be tracked to their owners are inserted into the puppies at a cost of $40 to the customer. They have a great relationship with a veterinarian next to the shop.
This business is ideal for someone who loves animals. It is relatively small, has easy hours of operation and is easy to run. Turn Key operation? A must see/must have business! Seller will entertain all reasonable offers! Call Armen Nazarian @ 248-855-7753
Facilities:
Located in a nice neighborhood shopping center on a major road.
Support/Training:
Seller will train
Reason Selling:
Other Interest
Business For Sale Listed By:
Armen Nazarian
Capital-1 Business Brokers
248-855-7753
Sponsoring Broker:
Armen Nazarian
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,586

Lights off at Utica Pet Supply!!

Meetup Members,

Big news! Utica Pet Supply closed this week!!!

The new owners could only keep the store going one year. It appears their lease was up and they could not sell the business! They purchased the store believing they could make a living off of puppies. The prior owner, John Goeth, allegedly provided false documentation to the new owners, who are not happy. We will keep an eye out for the lawsuit. We will also keep a look out for new owners. Let me know!

One potential buyer did call me asking is she could still sell puppies if they were from reputable breeders. My answer was no. We will protest.

As of yesterday, the store still has supplies, but the lights are out and sign turned off. The dry erase boards that used to list 20 dogs, all say SOLD.

We held 29 total protests last year providing literature to puppy shoppers and local residents. The owners retire after only 6 months of Saturday protests. We are not surprised, it is not our first pet store that has closed after sustained protests. (*)

We are adding Utica Pet Supply to our list of closed stores that we have campaigned against. Protesting is always a last resort. We hope the next puppy store sees what happens when protests begin, maybe they will transition on their own rather than close.

1. Petland, Belleville, Closed 2009 (*)
2. Paws Total Pet Studio Northville, Closed 2009
3. I Heart Dogs, Clinton Township, Closed 2009
4. Sporting Dogs Unlimited, Shelby Twp, Closed 2010
5. Petland, Westland, Closed 2011 (*)
6. Paws-n-Claws Pet Supplies, Eastpointe, Closed 2011 (*)
7. Pet Station, Dearborn Heights, Closed 2012
8. Krazie Kritterz, Cheboygan, Closed 2013
9. Greenwood Pets & Plants, Warren, No animals 2013
10. Utica Pet Supply, Utica, Closed 2013 (*)

We are planning a celebration next week. I will put it on the calendar.
Here are some photos of our regular protesters. There were seven of us that just didn't give up!

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,664

The store has new owners and are removing all the dog cages, but that doesn’t mean they won’t be selling puppies or other live animals. We are sending the owners a pledge not to sell puppies and kittens and join the ranks of 100 other Michigan stores that have pledged not to sell puppies.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,668
Meetup Members,

Utica Pet Supply has a new owner and apparently no business plan. You know someone is lying when they say “I am not sure exactly what I will be selling”. Really? I think it is best that they don’t invest too much in the remodeling efforts if they don’t have a business plan.

A sign in the front window states they plan to open in January, yet, when I called the city, they didn’t have any authorization to do so. The store will need to fill out an application, pass some approvals and lots of inspections first.

I asked the new owner to consider taking a pledge not to sell puppies, kittens, large reptiles, rabbits, and long-lived birds. It would be great if he stuck to supplies and services only. He said he plans on selling fish.

The new owner did say he googled the store and saw the controversy from our campaign efforts (which put the long time business ..out of business), so he was going to make sure he didn’t’ work with “puppy mills” but will work with local breeders. I told him about the code of ethics for those in breed clubs (wholesale a no no) and he said he is not familiar with the industry. No business plan and not familiar with the industry? Sounds like he has no business being in the pet selling business.

I sent the invitation to the Pet Friendly Pet Store program with a pledge form this week. Lets hope he joins the ranks of 100 Michigan stores and implements a humane business model.