addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup (Southeast Michigan) Message Board › K9 Cuisine-N-More/K9 Kindergarten LLC (Shelby Twp)

K9 Cuisine-N-More/K9 Kindergarten LLC (Shelby Twp)

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI

K9 Kindergarten LLC
K9 PET SUPPLY.NET
K9 Cuisine-N-More.com

K9 Cuisine
55220 Van Dyke
Shelby Twp MI, 48316

Monday, June 18, 2012

Dear Dave and Michelle Wilkins,

I am following up regarding our conversation in April about puppies being sold retail in your store.

It appears you have received additional litter(s) since we spoke. Although you stated you are helping a friend, unfortunately regularly selling intact animals works against community adoption programs. Therefore, my organization, Puppy Mill Awareness is requesting you only host adoption events using non-profit organizations to manage the placements of homeless animals.

In addition to contributing to the county’s pet over population problem, the source of your puppies are also concerning. You stated that Rooster Ranch was your primary puppy supplier. Sanilac County records show that this licensed kennel housed or could house 40 dogs in 2009. This is a large facility and is not licensed by the USDA. The USDA requires facilities selling wholesale to be licensed and inspected. In addition, reputable breed clubs have Codes of Ethics that prohibit them from selling wholesale which is not uncommon. Reputable breeders like to interview purchasers themselves and will always take the dog back into their care if the family can no longer keep the animal. Reputable breeders normally have waiting lists and never surpluses.

Please review and consider the attached invitation to the Puppy Friendly Pet Store program. By joining this program, you would be the first store in Michigan to stop selling puppies. Nearly 100 supply only stores have taken the pledge and the public is responding to this campaign.

Since puppy sales are not a big portion of your business, I am hoping you will be able to phase out this activity soon.

I look forward to your response.

Pam Sordyl
Puppy Mill Awareness of SE Michigan
734-828-1400

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,414
We confronted K9 Cuisine in Shelby yesterday after they received ANOTHER litter of puppies. Ten weeks ago, Puppy Mill Awareness of SE Michigan sent the store a letter asking them to pledge not to sell puppies. On 9/1/12, Brandon, an employee, came out to inform us he was going to put a lean on our homes. While his arms were crossed, he still took the time to discuss the situation and we appreciate that. We discussed Roosters Ranch, the stores alleged puppy supplier, and how the store is "re-homing" the puppies. I believe this is call "selling" and the breeder will need a USDA license. Why does this kennel have a surplus to begin with? Why does this breeder not have a waiting list? Why does this store need to pump puppies into the community and work against adoption programs?

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,415

The store employee stated they are "rehoming" puppies
for Roosters Ranch. We call it selling and a shame!

Meetup Members,

We confronted K9 Cuisine in Shelby this past weekend
after they received ANOTHER litter of puppies. You can
listen to my conversation with a store employee on You Tube.

The back story begins this past April when I spoke with the
owner over the phone. He said he had puppies in the store
that were available for “adoption”. I asked if they were for
adoption or sale? He then said “for sale” $675. They were
bred at Rooster Ranch (please do not send letters to this
kennel). I asked him to not sell puppies and support adoption
only. He said “no” and that I was entitled to my opinion.
I reminded him that his breeders need to be USDA licensed.
He said they are. I asked him again if they were USDA
licensed to make sure I understood, because we only
have three licensed breeders in Michigan that are allowed
to sell wholesale and Roosters Ranch is not.

When I asked if he planned to continue selling puppies, he
hung up on me.

This past June we sent the store owners a formal letter asking
them to pledge not to sell puppies. They responded with a certified
letter from their attorney which was returned. Their attorney sent
another letter in an email.

The store is not willing to discuss our invitation or pledge form.

Which leads to our visit to the store this weekend – on the
sidewalk of course. On Saturday, an employee came out to inform
us he was going to put a lean on our homes. While his arms were
crossed, he still took the time to discuss the situation and we
appreciate that. We also understand him approaching us with a
threat since I am sure our protest signs were threatening to the store.

We discussed Roosters Ranch, the stores alleged puppy supplier, and
how the store is "re-homing" the puppies. I believe this is call "selling"
and the breeder will need a USDA license. I asked him to inform the
owners we will be back if they get another litter in.

Why does this kennel have a surplus to begin with? Why does this
breeder not have a waiting list? Why does this store need to pump
puppies into the community and work against adoption programs?
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,696
FROM THE USDA INSPECTOR:

Dr. Kirston,

On 8-6-13 I looked into the allegations of complaint E13-282. I first visited the pet store K9 Cuisine-N-More. I spoke with the owner of the store Mr. David Williams. He described the activity concerning the puppies in question. Two to three times per year he allows Mr. Nick Anthony (Rooster Ranch) to bring Labrador puppies to be sold at his store. He keeps the puppies at his store for about a month and if not sold, he returns them. All monies collected by the store are given to Mr. Anthony. The store does not gain from the sale of the puppies. Sometimes the transactions are processed through the stores credit card machine. The store does see the sales of the puppies as beneficial because the store offers puppy training classes as well as food and other dog related products.

I then visited the premises of Mr. Anthony. He was not home but was able to contact him by phone as his mother called him for me. He collaborated all of the above information in regarding the puppy transactions. I related to Mr. Anthony that it was questionable as to whether this was considered to be AWA covered activity but it may be better if he considered getting a USDA license.

If this individual should apply for a license it will be necessary for the Easter Regional office to examine the current business model as it concerns the pet store to determine whether this activity falls under the jurisdiction of the AWA.

http://www.huntrr.com...­