addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup (Southeast Michigan) Message Board › Former pet store employees speak out

Former pet store employees speak out

A former member
Post #: 1,619

2006: I know for a fact Debby's Pet Land also has stores under different names. I worked for two. They keep getting shut down and they reopen under different names. 2 that I know of: the "Pet Club" in West Roxbury/Dedham, Mass. on Rt. 1 and also "New England Pet Center" in Canton, Mass. on Rt. 138. I worked for both.

The staff and conditions were unreal. Rodent cages rarely got cleaned. Huge puppies were in glass bins that guinea pigs or rabbits should be in. Minimum supply of water. The "sick" animals got put in this small closet called the "infirmary" that was infested with flies. Every time I went into work I would find at least 1 dead animal...and puppies getting injured from jumping out of the glass bins.

I complained constantly but was told I don't know what I'm talking about and the animals are "fine."

No wonder they got shut down but they were both owned by Debby's Pet Land management. Who knows...they probably have other stores we don't know about.

This is just ONE story....
If you want to read more, Click here
This is a great web page to show people that still think pet store animals come from reputable breeders ....
A former member
Post #: 77
I recently met a girl who has now become a great friend, and she is going to put on paper her experiences working at Petland.

She worked at the Westland Petland when she was 18 years old, motivated, of course, by her "love for animals". She was young and naive and never heard the term "puppymill", but she learned very quickly what that was, among other hideous things.

I have spoken with her in length about the shameless sales tactics that she was coached on, the truck loads of puppies and other small mammals that would arrive at the store in horrendous condition, if alive, and the many puppies that died in the store from disease, etc.

Once she writes it all down, she wants to circulate her story, so I will share it here. She really regrets having been a part of the Hunte Corporation's and Petland's nonsense, but she wants to use her experiences to help shut pet stores down for good. She says she still has nightmares. She's a good person has helped me rescue a few dogs from bad situations.
A former member
Post #: 1,835
I'm so sorry to hear your friend had to go through that. Her story will be extremely important and please thank her for me on telling it.
I thought about applying at the Petland near me to get the dirt and possibly film the truck loads of animals etc. but I don't think I could handle it.....

I'll look forward to reading her story and I'll see if I can find more sites for her to post it on.

Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 91

Can you have her contact me? I have two people that have signed up to demonstrate regularly there this spring.

I would recommend she contact a local investigative reporter. Only one and tell them she has a "exclusive" information about the pet store. We could organize a rally in conjunction to keep up the momentum of the HSUS's investigation.

There is also Letters to the Editor, of course.

My former dog sitter worked there too. Maybe we can coordinate here.