Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup (Southeast Michigan) Message Board › Buying Dogs Online

Buying Dogs Online

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 165
We often skip this problem as we are focused on Pet Stores and shady rescue groups.

I ran into a co-worker after the holiday break who's husband had to have a purebred dog. They went to the internet to do their "research" as most people do these days. They found one in Wisconsin! The breeder met them in Chicago.

Even if they bought it from a reputable breeder, she is encouraging others to buy a dogs for looks and prestige, and are encouraging puppy mills to produce that type of pet.

If you know someone who plans to find a breeder, make sure they see the facilities. They will often have you meet them somewhere to avoid you seeing the kennels. If a breeder has kennels in the backyard, the dogs do not live normal lives. It is not natural for a dog to be outside in a kennel all day without socialization and a families love.

The Humane Society of United States has a checklist.

There are many dog breeders who operate online with fraudulent licenses.

Dog breeders that operate online may skirt inspections laws and federal licensing regulations. The Internet has allowed many large-scale dog breeding operations crop up (puppy mills). The biggest concern is that breeders who sell dogs on the Internet are able to get around licensing laws and breeding regulations. This is because since the breeders work online the breeders are not considered to be wholesalers. This is how the breeders slip through the cracks.

If an Internet buyer purchases a dog that is of poor health there are no laws that protect you. There is no recourse that you could take. Some of the puppies that are sold over the Internet are diseased because of disgusting kennel conditions or have a genetic defect due to improper breeding techniques.

We all know someone who chooses buying over adoption... so please share this information with them.

A former member
Post #: 8
i ran into a woman at a puppy class that had bought her Rottweiler puppy
online - from California.
Supposently a fantastic breeder that had his female in Germany to get
her pregnant with some german champion stud.
The puppy was shipped when he has 8 weeks old (he looked rather younger to me).
Soon they found out that the puppy was walking funny and that his reaction
time was off. We thought something is wrong with his eyes.
She took the pup to a vet that did tests on the dog. That way they discovered
that one side of his brain was damaged as if he had hit his head really bad.
She said they are suspecting that this happened during the flight.
Now they are hoping the puppy will recover fully. She did not tell me the price
of the vet tests. But everyone that has been to a vet before has an idea what
brain tests on a puppy must cost.
I can not imagine what a dog must go through when is taken away from the mother
and the sibblings and shipped off in an airplane.
Plus you do not know what is true.
What do you really know about the breeder and where you dog comes from?
And who knows why that dog really had a head concussion?
You would think that people choose their new family member with a lot of caution.
Please never allow that a puppy is shipped to you!
This should be a no brainer!
It is not a piece of furniture or an iPod. Some things can not be fixed in a
living creature.