Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup (Southeast Michigan) Message Board › Petland Novi (Exposed)

Petland Novi (Exposed)

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Action Alert

Channel 7 Action News just exposed the Petland Novi store! A couple purchased a bulldog that later died from pneumonia. They mentioned the lawsuit and the suspicious relationship with the vet.

This is a perfect time to extend out Petland Campaign to the Novi store. No, we are not going to protest at the mall (not yet anyway). Actually, the store is closed for remodeling. I am hoping they are actually closed for good. If anyone knows anyone who works in the mall near the store, it would be interesting to know if there are contractors going in/out.

Here is what we CAN do:

1) Watch the video posted on Channel 7 website and then post a comment on at the bottom.

http://www.wxyz.com/n...­

2) Thank Heather Catallo and ask her to do a complete investigation of our 20 other stores, including the Westland Petland where we have many cases of sick dogs. Our next rallies are 10/17 and 10/24.
hcatallo@wxyz.comv

3) Call the Taubman Centers (yes, they are property management company that allowed I ‘Heart’ Dogs to open at Partridge Creek) and politely ask them to consider not renewing Petland’s lease and further investigate this store. Also, ask them to not open any new pet store at any of their properties.

Dave Harris
Taubman Centers, Inc.
248-258-7300

4) Call the General Manager of Twelve Oaks Mall and politely ask him to further investigate this store. Do they really want to harbor such a scandalous business?

Dan Jones
General Manager Twelve Oaks Mall
248-348-9400, Press 3 and then 4 for Mall Management.

5) Call the VetSelect in Dearborn Heights and ask them to discontinue working with pet stores that sell puppies.

Dan Monsorton
VetSelect Animal Hospital
Central Office
313-565-1622

6) Call the United Consumers Financial Services and ask them not to promote any financing of animals (period). Puppies aren’t products!

Jeff
United Consumers Financial Services
Regional Vice President
(directly involved in developing the program with Petland)
440-835-6645 direct line
juhlik@ucsf.net

7) Post the Channel 7 story to your Facebook or Myspace pages.

A former member
Post #: 1
I will be heading to Twelve oaks in the morning. I will check it out and let you know if I see any contractors or activity in the store. If I don't see anything, I will talk to neighboring stores to see if I can find out status. I hope they are closed. About 3 weeks ago, I was at the mall and walked over to the store. A couple was looking at a chihuahua in the 'play room' and was contemplating purchasing the dog. I stuck my nose in and shared some facts with them and added, that I too, have bought sick dogs from a pet store many years ago. I had to get out of there at that point because an employee walked over. I can only hope they didn't buy the dog. I will let you know what I find out tomorrow.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 240
From Amy,

I called Vet Select today, corporate office as well as the Dearborn and Dearborn Heights locations...and I got a recording that "they were not taking animals today because their care professionals were in a team meeting to better their service and care their customers and their pets".

Basically they were in a team meeting because they were exposed on the news as being associated with Petland and were meeting to get their stories straight to cover their asses. I'm not letting Vet Select off the hook either. I had issues with them with my first rabbit (long story) where they basically were just trying to take me for a financial ride.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 241
From Susie,

I checked out Novi Petland and found they are indeed closed. The sign states they are closed for remodeling. Looking into the store to see if there is any activity was difficult because of the way Twelve Oaks fabricates a fake wall on closed stores. I was able to peek into a small crack and the store is empty with the exception of a few empty shelves on the wall. I talked to employees at nearby space and was told the pet store is not closed, they are just remodeling. I don't know if that is true. From the looks of the space, I'd say they are gone. We can only hope! I will be back at the mall toward the end of the month and will recheck the status.
Susie
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 242
Great follow up Susie.

It does sound like they closed. If they were remodeling, it would seem that they would have contractors in the working hard to get them reopened as soon as possible. Closed doors means lost sales. Please keep checking, I am very curious.

This could mean we are down to ONE Petland!!! And I thought the Novi store was going to be a difficult one to close. This doesn't look good for Westland :)
A former member
Post #: 10
In addition, on Petland Novi's website (www.petlandnovi.com) they advertise $100 off a spay/neuter at Vet Select as well as 3 FREE visits to Vet Select. Sure sounds like they have a relationship to me...
A former member
Post #: 43
hmm I responded to Susie's post that Leroy quoted, but now cannot find it.
Leroy, do you know where it is?

I wonder if Petland is going bankrupt so they don't have to pay the people with the dog who died.
OR they could have a health issue going on (parvo or worms?) and had to remove the dogs and clean (bleach?) the store top to bottom. Those kinds of things they don' t like to tell you, and that would certainly qualify as "remodeling" wink wink.

As I said in my previous post that I cannot find: Good job Susie!

A former member
Post #: 44
I wonder if the health dept closed them down, good time to "remodel" eh?
A former member
Post #: 47
What is the name of the breeder this poor dog came from?
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 257
Here is an update from Sarah Casteel (Rocky's Mom). Here other dog now has some problems that seem to be directly related to Rocky's arrival.

So we got the results back from Rocky’s necropsy.

He died of severe Bortatella. Kennel cough.

Hhhhmmmmmm…….kennel cough. Interesting. The stupid PET STORE said “he does NOT have kennel cough, he’s just a little wheezy from the END residual effects of a cold he had. It will get better once you get him home”.

26 days later after progressively getting worse, he dies.

So for the last 2-3 weeks we’ve noticed our first baby Brewtus, the 1-1/2 year old English Bulldog has been hack hack gagging. Hack hack gag. Just like Rocky. Throughout the entire time we had Rocky we had Brewtus on the same antibiotics as a precautionary thing “just in case”. 3 vets told us Brewtus would be okay because he had his shots and had been on antibiotics.

Dan is at MSU with Brewtus right now. They say he’s probably got Bortatella and will try antibiotics first but that we may have to flush his lungs. This is exactly how it started with Rocky! Please pray for my baby Brewtus!

After an 8 hour visit and another $500 we have him on some crazy medication, he’s got a slight case of kennel cough, 2 very bad ear infections, and a severe yeast infection in his face. He was a perfect specimen of health and awesomness prior to Rocky coming home. I’m not mad at Rocky, it’s not his fault but come on. It was bad enough dealing with the vets and the waiting and worrying with Rocky. Now it’s starting all over again. They said if the medicine doesn’t work, we’ll have to do a flush on his lungs ($1,200)