Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup (Southeast Michigan) Message Board › Petland Novi (Exposed)

Petland Novi (Exposed)

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 289
Michigan Department of Agriculture
Lansing Michigan

Special Report
Firm Name: Petland
Street: 272000 Novi Road
City: Novi

Complaint:

Erica visited Petland of Novi on July 12, 2007 at 5:45pm. She notes that he store was very hot. The dogs were experiencing signs of heat stress, including panting. She notes that they did not have any water available for the dogs. An inspection should be done to look at the health of the dogs and evaluate the store’s temperature controls methods (could their cooling system be broken?).

Michele Finateri
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 290
Michigan Department of Agriculture
Lansing Michigan

Special Report
Firm Name: Petland
Street: 272000 Novi Road
City: Novi

Complaint:

October 28, 2008, General Manager Katie Coseo recovered the files on the Weimaraner puppy of question. The store acquired the puppy as part of a shipment from:

Richard & Opal Featherston/Royale Kennel
17520 K-9 Hwy, Whiting KS 66552
785-873-3517
USDA Lic #48-B-0249

While invoices for the shipment were on file, the Certificate of Veterinary Inspection of Companion Animal was not with these documents. Other shipments demonstrated that the certificate is routinely included. Ms. Coseo was asked to follow up with recovery of the certificate for this puppy (Puppy No 17248) and see that the certificate is faxed to Dr. Finateri at 517-373-6015.

The puppy was born 02/03/08 and arrived at the store April 1, 2008. The Michigan Pet Shop Health Certificate was initially signed 4/26/08, indicating that the store’s veterinarian prescribed treatment for a condition not stipulated on the HC, although medications recorded are consistent with skin problems. The puppy was allegedly treated again between 5/27 and 6/12 similarly. Puppies are removed from the store and housed at one of the four affiliated Vet Select Hospitals while being treated. This puppy was weighed per HC.

It was sold on 6/25/08.

More detailed records of treatment may be available through the store owners Carol and Bob Thorne or through the veterinary clinic. Ms. Coseo accurately guessed the complaint regarded underweight condition of the dog, when she was told the investigation concerned a Weimaraner puppy.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 291
If you are wondering what kind of "reputable breeder" Mr. Featherston is, check out his Pet Shop Puppies report.
http://www.petshoppup...­

48 sick dogs!

He has almost 800 breeding dogs. This is mass production!!!

Look at all the different breeds he carries. He doesn't specialize in promoting a breed because he loves it and knows it well. They are puppy producing machines to him! Shame on you Petland for working with this awful miller.

Inventory:

Date: 3/27/2007
Species: Puppy
Count: 355
--------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­--

Date: 3/27/2007
Species: Adult Dog
Count: 773
--------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­--

Date: 3/20/2008
Species: Puppy
Count: 311

Date: 3/20/2008
Species: Adult Dog
Count: 773

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 292
The new owner Randy is working with the following breeder:

He shipped one Husky form this breeder in Kansas

8/1/09
Shauna Engelken
742 168th Rd.
Seneca KS,
785-336-2075

Check out her inspection report.
http://www.aphis.usda...­

There are many violations:

1) Pen 3 frame is snagging approx 5 inches and the flooring needs addtional support. The 2 boxers could fall thru getting injured or escape.
2) Surfaces with excessive rust prevents required cleaning and sanitation.
3) The white wood dog house , housing 4 boxers, of the raised kennels is chewed and scratched aroudnthe doorway from which the animals enter. Can not be cleaned.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 300
http://www.ripoffrepo...­

I am an ex-employee of Petland, Novi. I want to make clear that I am not a disgruntled ex worker. I did not have any sort of disagreements with any of the other employees or managers. For all intents and purposes, Petland of Novi treated me, as a person and worker fairly and well.

It is the treatment of the customers and the animals that I take issue with. I am aware of several incidents which have taken place in this store:

Firstly, for a time, there was an outbreak of distemper. A vet advised the owner to close the shop for a short time in order for the puppies who were already in the store to be checked and treated, the kennels to be cleaned, and to prevent any new puppies from catching this terrible disease. Instead, the owner accepted a new shipment of puppies, and caused an outbreak in which a few puppies had to be euthanized.

Secondly, there was a case in which a man who bought a small Chihuahua dropped her on her head at least twice. This caused her to go into seizures and he returned her for another dog. The associates were told by management not to inform any guests interested in this adorable little girl that she had been in a home before, that she'd had a name or that she'd been dropped. She was sold to another family who experienced serious health problems with her.

Thirdly, there are often cases of infectious sicknesses like kennel cough spreading wildly through the store. This is because the kennel manager rarely takes the time to thoroughly check and treat the puppies as they should be. They are over-medicated and under-loved. When puppies are sick, they are placed in separate cages called "holding" or "isolation." The only problem is that the holding cages are only two feet away from regular cages, and isolation is across from the kitten kennels, where the kittens are constantly stressed and terrified because of the constant whining and barking of the ignored puppies.

The kittens are not properly socialized because the store's focus is its puppies, where the most profit can be made. They maintain the facade that they care deeply for he animals in the store, and that the prices they charge are to convey the value of the life that a customer is taking home with him.

In reality, these puppies are bred and sent to us by "private breeders," none of whose names are given out, and marked up by as much as twice or even three times the amount one would normally pay a breeder for a pedigree. They depend on impulse buying and pulling at people's heart strings in order to sell sell sell for profit.

The cages are not cleaned as thoroughly as they should be. I have spent a day pulling the kennels apart and scrubbing them from top to bottom. In the few months that I could stand to work there, I never saw this happen otherwise.

If these people really cared about the animals as much as they pretend to, they'd give them better, more comfortable kennels, keep less puppies in the store at once in order to ensure their health, comfort and the attention they deserve, and charge a little less.

More often than not, people are scared away by the prices Petland charges, and for puppies that are often sick! I understand why there is a law in Michigan that forbids giving animals away for free...there has to be a way to make people understand the value of the little life they are investing in, but it becomes detrimental when people who can provide loving homes can't even afford to buy these puppies who so desperately need to be taken out of that environment.

This is terribly difficult for me to do. I have no grudges personally against anyone who is involved with Petland, but I cannot stand to know that the animals are being treated this way. By sending this complaint I have done two things. One, I have informed people of Petland's dishonest business practices. And two, I have deprived several animals of good homes by keeping people who'd like to provide them away from the store.

I hope that something can be done to help the several animals cooped up there and in need of so much more love than they are receiving.

Disappointed
New Hudson, Michigan
U.S.A.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 301
PETLAND OF NOVI MICHIGAN Petland charged me $2800 for a dog that died 21 days after I brought him home. NOVI, Michigan

http://www.ripoffrepo...­

We went to Petland of Novi and bought an English Bulldog for $2,800. The puppy was sick however, the employees assured us he was at the tail end of having a "small cold" and promised he was fine and would be in good health. Per the contract I signed, we went to THEIR vet the following business day(VetSelect Animal Hospital). The vet told me the puppy, who we named Rocky, was fine and had a "dry cough" but the rattling we were hearing from his chest was "normal rattling for this breed". I have another Bulldog at home and he never sounded like that. This wasn't a rattle, it was a gurgle.

Out of concern, I took Rocky to our own vet who confirmed he was more than just a little sick. He had an upper respritory infection and was put on antibiotics. Over the next 2 weeks he progressivlely got worse. We ended up at the MSU Vetrinary hospital after we found Rocky puking blood. They found progressed psnemonia and after much discussion, we had to make the difficult decision to put him down. The vet assured us that even if we did spend the $2,000 for the surgery, should he survive it, he would not live a happy fulfilled life. Rocky was in an oxegen chamber with an IV when we called Petland to alert them of what was going on and they demanded we take this dying puppy back to "their" vet. There is no way Rocky would have survived the ride. I don't know what their intention was for us to take him to "their" vet at that point - we were at the most prestigioius vetrinarian hospitals in the US.

If this wasn't bad enough, the Novi store refused to take any responsibility. The breeder who they said Rocky came from doesn't exist, the pet store Petland claimed to buy Rocky from doesn't exist and they are turning a blind eye to the fact they sold me a sick puppy that never got better like they promised. They refuse to refund our money, they refuse to call me back and they refuse to be accountable for what happened. I am very hurt, mostly by the fight and loss of this puppy but also by the $4,000 we ended up spending on trying to save this dog "their vet" claimed to be healthy. DO NOT BUY FROM PETLAND!
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 302
From Rocky's Mom:

"The vet at MSU said it would cost over $2,000 for some kind of surgery and it was highly unlikely that he would survive it. They said if he survived the surgery it was likely he would not be able to live without pain and he would never have normal lung capacity which obviously means he wouldn’t be able to function as a normal dog. Then they said they didn’t know how long they would have to keep him after the surgery which would have been another daily expense. It was hard but we had to make a choice for Rocky’s livelihood and our financial capabilities. His autopsy report said it was severe kennel cough that led to even more severe pneumonia. He couldn’t even breath by the time we got him to MSU that day. He was puking blood and couldn’t walk at the end. Every vet visit led to more vet visits with more hope and despair each time. It was single-handedly the hardest thing I’ve been though and trust me, I’ve been through the ringer with personal trauma.

Yes, I’m happy we got our money back but I’m happier that attention was brought to a serious problem and that perhaps people have become educated by our experience.

Total, vet bills and the cost of Rocky was over $4,000. My first payment to the United Consumers was $1,000 because I wanted to pay it off as soon as I could before the interest accrued. Petland reimbursed me for the difference. We did not get 100% of our money back but we did get most of it back.

Both Petland and the bank were 100% resistant, insulting, and rude when I originally tried to get our money back. The only time they budged (and they budged FAST) was after the press was involved."
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 303
Spoke with the owner of Petland Novi today.

I called 3x's on Wednesday. First he was on the phone, then out of the store, and left at 3PM for his daughter who was sick. When I called today they wanted to know which Pam is calling. When I told them Pam from Puppy Mill Awareness, they came back and said he was on the phone :) I explained that I called 3x's already and it will not look good to the Staff Writer from the Novi News if he again is not available to answer questions. He made me wait 6 mins.

He didn't know why I was calling him. He said I should call Corporate. I stated Taubman's believes we need to work out our issues first. I just wanted to confirm he received our letter. He did. I wanted him to make sure he knew that we could help him go humane by facilitating adoption events. He said he is in business to find homes for puppies. That is his "business".

He also stated that Petland is the only one in the US to have their sick puppies stay at a vet for 14 days straight. I said then why do you have puppies in isolation? The MDA report stated there were 7 with kennel cough during a visit.

We discussed his selection of breeders. He did not know Opal had 773 dogs. Said she was on the Board of a Health Department. We also discussed Tidwell's voltage fences. He said the inspection report doesn't state they are injured. They are shocked first before they learn it is electric. The report does state that. He really isn't prepared to talk about his breeders.

I again asked him to stop selling puppies and we will keep the communication open. We do not plan to cause any problems in the store (no one goes inside) and we will remain peaceful outside near Novi Road.

He wasn't rude and at least discussed my issues. He was defensive and doesn't seem to know about all the sick dogs reported to the various organizations.
Karen
user 10852993
Northville, MI
Post #: 2
My experience with Petland...My family bought a boxer in 2003, while going over Daisy’s paperwork during the purchase agreement it stated that she had a clean bill of health and was de-wormed three days before we paid for her. We agreed to buy a healthy puppy.

Well, the problem had begun on the car ride home, the coughing and sneezing. I called the pet store, their reply was "call Vet Select,. ” We took Daisy into their vet several different times. She was treated for kennel cough the first few times. She was put into a breathing dome, to help the cough. I came back a few more times and one time she had a chest x-ray done. She was then treated with more medication just different kinds. After about the 8th trip into Vet Select they decided to treat for lung worms. While she was seeing a Vet Select doctor, she was also being monitored by a vet of my choice. I felt uneasy with Vet Select, I thought her illness wasn’t being treated properly so I paid another doctor to keep an eye on her. I explained to our vet that Daisy was being now treated for lung worms. His reply about the lung worm treatment was “I want to know where Daisy came from, lung worms are found in horses and is uncommon for dogs.” While in that office they found Daisy had tape worms, which the paperwork showed she was treated for worms three days before we bought her. I decided to take Daisy back one last time to Vet Select, for a follow up of the lung worm. She was still sick. I contacted the pet store owner and demanded his company pay my vet bills that were accrued during this process thus far. I explained to him that his “so called vet wasn’t doing anything but dragging their feet on this illness.” His reply to my demand was “"I will pay half that's it, or you can return your dog to my store for a full refund.” After having Daisy for 3 weeks my family was attached, we couldn't give up on her that easy. I decided at that time to cut all ties with Vet Select, I didn’t feel in my heart they did any good for her and I knew the owner of Petland did not care either. Petland never paid us a dime for the vet bills, after telling me he’d pay half.

Daisy had a rough 3 months after she joined our family. We said lots of prayer and shed lots of tears over this illness. When we purchased Daisy we agreed to a healthy puppy, it never stated we were buying a sick dog. This company lied to us, and backed up nothing. I then decided to turn Petland into the BBB, and also the MDA. If I knew where else to turn this place in I would.

I am proud to say, Daisy is 6 years old and is a healthy happy dog. My family feels we saved Daisy’s life, if we would have decided to return her for a full refund they would have put her to sleep. I thank my lucky stars God answered our prayers and we didn’t give up on her, we knew she’d make it though.

Sincerely

Daisy owner
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 304
Someone called my house and left me a message about a petland story on Wednesday 11/11/09. I returned the call and today with a message. After I made this call I decided to research online about Petland. I came across this web page and decided to read the information. I was on page 2 and began to read about a Karen from Fenton. I am stunned to read about myself turning Petland into the Dept of Agriculture. I am still upset with this company, I have told everyone I know my experience with Novi Petland. I have turned company into the BBB, who else can I report this to?

Thank you
Karen