Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup (Southeast Michigan) Message Board › Pollywood Pets (Mt. Clemens)

Pollywood Pets (Mt. Clemens)

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 560
ACTION ALERT: Boycott Pet Vaccine Clinic & Expo (Aug 21) at Gibraltar Trade Center (Pollywood)

Pollywood Pet Store is sponsoring a pet event at the Gibraltar Trade Center. I can't imagine one rescue or dog loving vendor that would attend. Please boycott this event.

Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 2:47 PM
Subject: Pet Vaccine Clinic & Expo - FREE Vendor Space

Dear Friends,

Gibraltar Trade Center North, Inc. in Mt. Clemens , Michigan invites you to join us for our “Pet Vaccine Clinic & Expo” show, scheduled for Saturday, August 21, 2010.

Our advertising campaign for this event will be widespread, utilizing local newspapers, website, email blasts, calendars and ongoing networking promotion through local on-line groups.

To help introduce you to this NEW SHOW, and let you experience for yourself our 30 years of success, I would like to give you the opportunity to set up in our “Pet Vaccine Clinic & Expo” absolutely FREE, for Pet Related Sales & Services ONLY!

Attached please find our exhibitor form for the “Pet Vaccine Clinic & Expo”. For added value we are also offering to you at no additional cost – electrical drops, WiFi, 1 free table per booth rented and chairs.

VENDOR CONTRACT - PET CONTEST ENTRY FORM

Mark your calendars, spread the word to your customers and other local Pet Businesses to come out and enjoy our very first “Pet Vaccine Clinic & Expo”.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me Tuesday thru Saturday at 586-465-6440 or email me at angela@gibraltartrade.com.

Angela Neargarder
Show Director
Gibraltar Trade Center - North
"Always an Adventure"
Phone: 586-465-6440
Fax: 586-465-0458

VENDOR CONTRACT
PET CONTEST ENTRY FORM

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 561
Friday, July 23, 2010

Dear Ms. Neargarder,

It has come to my attention you are hosting and promoting a pet event at the Gibraltar Trade Center in August. While this is a fantastic event for animals, you can not expect rescue groups or dog loving vendors to attend while Pollywood is sponsoring this. Pollywood has a horrible reputation in the community.

I am the Director of a group called Puppy Mill Awareness of Southeast Michigan. We are actively working on all levels to reach the public about the pet store’s link to puppy mills. Here are a few recent articles about our work this month.

Editorial: Help groups that fight abusive puppy mills
Today, The Oakland Press

Prospective pet owners should adopt rescue dogs, avoid 'puppy mills'
Wednesday, The Macomb Daily

Oakland stores take pledge not to sell puppies from mills
Sunday, July 4, 2010 (Front Page)

So I am writing you today to ensure you are aware of Pollywood’s history and the severity of the conditions of animals that have been rescued from the store. When I visited the Michigan Department of Agriculture (MDA) which was regulating pet stores prior to August 2009, they had a large box of files including complaints and inspection reports - far more than any of the 32 puppy selling pet stores in the Detroit area.

Pollywood was investigated by an organization called Companion Animal Protection Society (CAPS). I would like to share this blog regarding Deborah Howard’s visit.

Since August of 2009, Animal Control has logged four complaints regarding sick dogs. Most people do not know where to file complaints now, so you can imagine that for every one complaint there are likely many more. You may want to check with the Better Business Bureau, The HSUS and the Attorney Generals office as they are also the most likely places complaints are filed.

You can contact Marie Skladd. She has all of the veterinary paperwork from the 13 animals purchased on behalf of the CAPS/Deborah Howard project from Pollywood Pets.

You can contact Jill Fritz, the Humane Society of the United States – Michigan State Director for more information about complaints filed with them.

For information about Pet Stores and puppy mills, you can contact myself or Linda Reider from the Michigan Humane Society. The MHS has a campaign called “Protect our Puppies” targeting pet stores.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide you. I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Pam Sordyl
Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 562
I plan to send out an Action Alert next week after I hear back from the Trade Center. We are teaming up with SMART on this one!
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 580

The Detroit Free Press

Mich. agency has not punished pet stores that have been neglectful
Inspections don't shut shops, are on way out
2:41 AM, Dec. 30, 2007

By STEVE NEAVLING
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER
December 30, 2007

The state agency responsible for ensuring the safety of animals has never fined or shut down a single metro Detroit pet shop, even though inspectors for years have found inhumane conditions and neglect that have endangered dogs and cats, records show.

Nearly a quarter of the roughly 70 pet shops in southeast Michigan have been cited in the past four years for housing sickly animals, confining dogs and cats to dirty, cramped cages and selling pets that are unhealthy or below the legal age. None has been shut down or fined, the Department of Agriculture records show.

And conditions could get worse.

That's because the department is abandoning inspections altogether, unless complaints involve serious abuse or disease outbreaks. The state used to do unannounced annual inspections.

Agency officials say they must shift the focus to monitoring deer and cattle populations for contagious diseases such as tuberculosis. A shrinking budget is compounding the problem.

"In a perfect world, it wouldn't be this way," said state veterinarian Dr. Steven Halstead, who works for the Department of Agriculture. "I have concerns that by not having the presence that we should, animals will suffer."

More than 30 people have complained to the state this year about Pollywood Pets, inside the Gibraltar Trade Center in Mt. Clemens. That's more than any other store. Among the complaints: 20 kittens stuffed in a pen; sick puppies covered in feces, some injured by broken cages; guinea pigs bleeding and overcrowded, one without an eye.

State inspectors found similar conditions in visits since 2003 but did nothing. Inspection records show they found a dog's carcass in a freezer and kittens who died after receiving no veterinary care. Other kittens, too young for legal sale, were infested with fleas and slumped over in dehydration in an old birdcage.

Tamara Rodriguez said she quit Pollywood Pets last year because the state did nothing after the store knowingly sold dogs as young as 5 weeks and other animals that were sick. Customers made the same complaints, records show. State law bans the sale of dogs and cats younger than 8 weeks.

"I don't think the state cares," Rodriguez said.

Pollywood Pets owner Shelly Myers said conditions are improving, but wouldn't elaborate.

"It has been a learning curve for me," said Myers, who has operated the store since 1991. "All we can do is improve our services. I take what I do seriously. It's hard work."

States are responsible for passing laws to protect pet shop animals. Michigan requires cages to be large enough for animals to stand and move around. Sick animals must get immediate medical attention. And animals must have adequate water and food.

Animal-rights groups question whether agriculture departments -- focused primarily on livestock -- were ever equipped to monitor pet shops.

Even before the state decided to stop inspections, it had begun reducing unannounced visits. Most pet shops, which had averaged two inspections annually, weren't inspected for years, records from 2002 to 2007 show.

The last inspection at Family of Pets in Waterford, for example, was five years ago, despite complaints as recently as two months ago about filthy, cramped cages. The state found similar problems in the past three years -- plus outbreaks of a potentially deadly virus and puppies sold too young -- at the chain's other four stores.

Violations are common in stores across metro Detroit, the inspection records show.
• Water was tainted with feces, and pens were too small for dogs and cats to turn around or stand up in.
• At least eight stores sold puppies under the legal age of 8 weeks -- some as young as 5 weeks. At least three were cited several times but were never fined or shut down.
• Animals with contagious diseases, some deadly, were not separated from healthy ones at more than a dozen stores.

In an unusual move, the Riverview Fire Department -- not the state -- stepped in and closed All About Pets in late November because the shop hadn't been using heat and was a fire hazard, records show. Even though the state found similar conditions in visits since September 2006 and the shop failed to apply for annual license renewals in 2005 and 2007, inspectors allowed the shop to stay open.

Other stores without proper ventilation to prevent the spread of disease continued operating after subsequent inspections found no improvements. One was Utica Pet Supply, where the owner acknowledged an overcrowded puppy population, records show. At least four complaints about sickly pups followed in a 3-month span this year.

A shih tzu from the pet shop nearly died a day after Joseph and Christie Gentner of Warren bought her in September. A veterinarian immediately diagnosed the puppy with the potentially fatal parvovirus, which vets say doesn't reveal symptoms for at least five days after infection.

The Jack Russell terrier with fleas, a lacerated ear and blood caked on his neck and head sat confined to a small metal cage that had been his home for a year and a half. He often turned in circles, sometimes resting on his own feces. His toenails were so long they curled.

In another cage barely large enough for him to stand, a mixed Cavalier King Charles spaniel older than a year had a hernia and a torn ligament that would require several surgeries.
Both had intestinal parasites and ear infections.

Too often, animal advocates say, unwanted puppies at pet shops grow up in tiny cages without veterinary care and a chance to play with other dogs. People passed the dogs up at Pollywood Pets, a Mt. Clemens pet shop in the Gibraltar Trade Center, for younger, cuddly pups.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 581
Article Continued:

I wanted to get the dogs out of there, said Deborah Howard, president of the Massachusetts-based Companion Animal Protection Society, which investigated the pet shop this month following dozens of complaints this year of cramped, dirty cages. They were in bad condition. The pet shop owner, Shelly Myers, declined to comment.

Using $500 that Howard donated, two local rescue volunteers bought the dogs Dec. 15 and carried them outside, where they breathed clean air.

The volunteers hauled the dogs to Veterinary Centers of America in Allen Park, where a vet diagnosed the Jack Russell with ear and urinary tract infections.

The Jack Russell is named Wishbone. The mixed cavalier is Casey.

In their first days at the vet office, Casey grew more social and romped in the snow. But Wishbone still shook with fear.

On Saturday, the dogs were taken to the Pet Ritz Lakeshore Resort in Roseville, a luxury boarding and doggy day-care center. They were exhausted after about an hour of playing and fell asleep on beds donated by Pet Supplies Plus. They look so happy, said Joe Coates, co-owner of Pet Ritz. What a great recovery.

After the dogs begin adjusting, training wizard Vlade Roytapel of Troy will take Wishbone home for about a week to teach him obedience.

Well provide him with a human environment, which he should have had Roytapel said Saturday. He needs love and affection. The rescue wasn’t cheap and required volunteers to help. The nearly $4,000 medical bill was picked up by Veterinary Centers of America. Pet Supplies Plus bought treats, toys and food. The Pet Ritz is offering free boarding.

These poor dogs need a home and a lot of therapy, said one of the volunteers, Marie Skladd, president of the Ferndale-based Michigan Animal Adoption Network.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 596
I posted the four complaints called into the local Animal Control Aug 2009- April 2010. I believe my FOIA request is incomplete considering there were more details provided by some complaintants. I am wondering if they actually record details or just calls (sick dogs)? The MDA collected complaints up to Aug 2009..with much more detail. There is a large box (paper box) of files including inspections and complaints.

Mt. Clemens Animal Control Complaints
http://files.meetup.c...­
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 597
I have not heard back from the mobile vet regarding our concerns. Something tells me she is ok with working with Pet Stores? Does any of the rescues have any good things to say? I was told she works with rescues in Flint.

Melissa Schultz DVM
248-683-5005
Vet Ex Mobile Veterinary Service
(248) 683-5005
1205 Murray Dr, Waterford, MI 48327
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 598
Guardians For Animals PAID for treatment of more than a dozen animals that were taken out of Pollywood.
We spent lots of money and time building the case and STILL (working closely with Deb Howard- CAPS) no results.

GFA will not be able to participate but wish you all the very best of luck and I hope this protest brings about enough public awareness to at least deter purchases. Every effort is worth doing.

Sincerely,

Alexandria Whitney
Guardians For Animals
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 599
Recent Complaint:

Last Wednesday I wrote about about a recent experience I encountered with purchasing a kitten at Pollywood Pets at the Gilbrator Trade Center in Mt. Clemens. As I wrote the kitten passed away 3 days after my daughter purchased her. As it turns out my daughter had started to become ill beginning 2 days after she purchased her by Thursday she has become seriously ill running a 103 fever. We learned this week from our when being notified by the Health Department she contracted a contagious baceteria in her system, through contact
with the kitten.

I was distraught, when learning that 15 complaints have been made to the city of Mt. Clemens within this last year that this store is still able to operate. Please I am asking for your help anyone who has has a similar bad experiencewith Pollywood Pets or knows anyone that has had a bad experience to please email leroybrown01@yahoo.com and share your story. Please come forth and share your story or experience with her. Hopefully we can be successful in putting this establishment out of
business and bring justice to the many animals they have mistreated and not properly cared for
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 604
Complaint Reported to Macomb Animal Control Nov 2009 and follow-up:

Late November 2009 - Went into Pollywood Pet Shop in Gibralter Trade Center and was appauled by the following: Many older puppies, my guess close to a year old, in small cages, seen thru window that were being discounted due to their age. Was told by an employee they were dogs that had not sold as young puppies, basically living all these months in cages. These dogs displayed nervous issues and did not appear to be of good mental health.

Small puppies in cages containing wire bottoms with spaces too large for their paw size. One small chihuahua was trying his best to keep all four paws in a very tiny feed dish and would literally tip over when all four were off the cage floor.

I confronted the owner trying to explain how painful for the puppies to be on wire cages without any relief and received no response. Maybe sales were based upon consumers pity for the environment in which these dogs were confined?. Sad.

Kittens in very small cages, displaying lethargic behavior.

I called Mt. Clemens Animal Control and filed a formal report of cruelty due to the wires at bottom of cage and the pain inflicted on these puppies, with no salvation.

Approximately two weeks ago I went into Pollywood. Cage conditions have changed. The bottoms looked to be rubber coated wire and of smaller size. Still no solid surface for puppies to stand on. I was upset at two aquariums behind the counter which contained teacup sized puppies. One a yorkie mix the others I do not know what breed. These aquariums had light bulbs above them, without any form of shield. I asked why and was told in order to display puppies. I found this to be cruel. Puppies had no way of shielding from this bright light, or from the heat. If you have any further questions, please contact me.