Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup (Southeast Michigan) Message Board › Pollywood Pets (Mt. Clemens)

Pollywood Pets (Mt. Clemens)

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 608
Unfortunately the mobile vet has worked with the store. Last year. An unknown number of times. She stated 6. And why did she stop working? The bigger question is WHY did she start? I know my vet turned down a pet store because he knew it was unethical and offered his services to rescues instead. Some of the mobile vet's "rescues" are actually questionable too. I am giving her the benefit of the doubt since she did stop to pick up the flyers and returned my call. She also stated she would not participate in another Pet Expo sponsored by the store.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 610
The Macomb Daily posted two articles. One includes the video. This is where most of the comments are.

(Video)
http://www.macombdail...­

VIDEO: Protesters picket Gibraltar pet shop

By Jameson Cook, Macomb Daily Staff Writer
August 21, 2010

Macomb Daily photo by David Dalton Protesters including Gary Dolinshek of Rochester Hills picket in front of the Gibraltar Trade Center during a Pet Expo Saturday.

They say animals are mistreated, but owner says the animals are OK

A handful of sign-wielding animal lovers protested the conditions of a pet shop at the Gibraltar Trade Center during a Pet Expo on Saturday at the Mount Clemens facility.

The protesters, picketing along North River Road in front of the center, claim that dogs and kittens at Pollywood Pets are kept in cramped cages, exotic birds receive substandard care and reptiles live in dirty, brightly lit enclosures, all leading to mistreated and unhealthy animals.

"There's been a lot of complaints from people who have bought pets from there," said one of the protesters, Olivia Sanchez, 25, of Clinton Township.

"The worst thing is they keep animals in cages for a year or more," said protester Pam Sordyl.

But the store owner, Shelley Myers, said Saturday that while conditions aren't perfect, her animals are treated well and her store has passed multiple inspections by the state Department of Agriculture. She said her pets are inspected by a veterinarian.

"The allegations are unfounded. We follow all the guidelines and rules," Myers said. "Sure, we're going to have some complaints, but not everything can be 100 percent perfect."

She said she partnered with the Trade Center to stage the Expo, which among the 38 vendors included a veterinarian providing immunization shots for $10, a discounted price, she said. There was a long line of pet owners waiting for a shot for their pet early Saturday afternoon.

"My focus is on doing good for the community," she said.

She said some of her foes have threatened her.

"They know where I live, they know where I shop and where I drive," she said.

One vendor who did not want to be named said she would not buy an animal from Pollywood.

"I'm not saying they're evil, but I don't like how they're caged," she said. "I saw one that was too big for his cage and one was in there for a year."

But another vendor, Sharon Bressman, said Pollywood "does a great job." A lifelong pet lover, she said her two healthiest dogs were purchased at Pollywood.

The protesters also wanted to promote animal adoption from nonprofit rescue organizations instead of going to pet stores, where they say treatment is worse. Sordyl said she was concerned that the Expo didn't include any rescue organizations. She said those who want to obtain a pet should try the Macomb County Animal Shelter or find a rescue organization at www.petfinder.com.

The protesters are part of the organization Puppy Mill Awareness and the Southeast Michigan Animal Rights Team.

Here is the other article
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 613

I was so pleased with the turn out. Some people stayed on two shifts! And yes, we went home to check on our dogs (per the article comments). I found that most of the comments to the article were just digging for something to say because no one could prove us wrong.

I spoke with a vendor the next day. She was in a booth next to us at the Independence Oaks Dog Walk. She was called by the Trade Center at the last minute to participate. She did not have to pay, but next year they plan on charging the vendors. She said she will not be coming back if they charge. I also asked her not to come back since the pet store is behind this.

The vendor on the other side of me saw the article in the paper. It sure is nice to know we are reach beyond the sidewalk. I am really pleased with the Macomb article too.

I hope everyone has time to leave thoughtful polite comments to it
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 614
The Pollywood Boycott was incredibly successful on many levels: there were only a few vendors (as in 6?)...they were expecting 35, the mobile vet picked up our flyers to pass out, The Macomb Daily interviewed us and many people stopped to learn more. Oh, the cops that pulled into the trade center left without stopping -... waved at us *snicker*. So much for a big pet expo pulling in prospective buyers to the pet store :)
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 626
Here are some items from our Sick Dog Checklist that may be helpful to those who have purchased an animal from Pollywood. I need to add Health Department now that we know she has some illnesses that are contagious to humans as well.

 If there appears to be cruelty or neglect (unsanitary conditions, sick animals, lack of food/water/shelter, etc.) contact the pet store’s local animal control agency and request that they inspect the facility.

Jim
Mt. Clemens Animal Control Officer
One Crocker
Mt. Clemens, MI 48043
810-469-6666
Responded to complaints.

• Local law enforcement has authority over the Michigan Penal Code (1931, PA 328, as amended) and can enforce the requirements of the penal code (e.g. failure to provide adequate care - such as provide veterinary care, sanitary condition, exercise, shelter, food, water, etc) against pet stores.

• Local law enforcement, can follow-up on possible violations against the Pet Shop Law. Penalties for violations against the Pet Shop Law (1969, PA 287, as amended) are a misdemeanor, charges which have to go through the local prosecutor.

 Contact the Michigan Attorney General’s offcie - online complaint form. If enough complaints are filed, they may assign an attorney to the case. https://secure1.state...­

 Contact the Better Business Bureau - online complaint form at http://www.bbb.org/...­. The BBB accepts complaints whether or not the business is a BBB Accredited Business.

 Uset the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS)'s complaint form. It can be submitted to multiple organizations. http://www.humanesoci...­

 The USDA regulates commercial breeders. If you have breeder information, you will want to send a hard copy compliant to the USDA Eastern District Office. http://www.aphis.usda...­
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 640
Hi Leroy,

I personally support you in your fight against puppy mills! My own dog is a rescue and many of my friends try to adopt. I just wanted to let you know I thought the event was held by a clinic sponsoring free vaccinations. Although I am not a "big statin drug fan", at present there is no natural cure for rabies. I am a brand new business and so i thought this was a perfect opportunity to promote my business. From a vendors standpoint I thought the event was a disaster and will not come back anyway. I would truly be surprised if any of the vendors actually come back free or not and regardless of their position on puppy mills. however I am sure many will stand with you. I hope you had a chance to visit the website. Healthy food and all natural products are essential to all animals.

Keep the faith!
Nutri-Tailz
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,546
Puppy Mill Awareness Plans Protest at Pet Expo

Activist groups ask event vendors and participants to boycott
Pet Vaccine and Pet Expo sponsored by Pollywood Pets.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 19, 2010

MT. CLEMENS, Mich. –Saturday, August 21, 2010, the Puppy Mill Awareness and S.M.A.R.T Meetups will be holding a protest at the Gibraltar Trade Center from 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Participants will need to bring signs and park next door at the Newspaper parking lot.

The Gibraltar Trade Center is located at 237 N. River Road, Mt. Clemens, Mi,

The Meetup groups are asking event vendors and participants to boycott this event as it will only promote the sale of more dogs from the Pollywood Pet Store. Pollywood Pets has a history of neglect and has been investigated by various organizations.

• Dogs are confined to small kennels stacked two and three levels high, many bark from boredum and circle from frustration, only taken out for a potential buyer. Some dogs may live in cages for over a year if not purchased. You Tube Video.

• Exotic birds live in tiny cages in the back of the store and may stay there their entire lives. They are used for breeding more birds. Many are missing feathers from self mutilation due to stress. Reptiles are deprived of any form of natural habitat, living in filthy enclosures under bright lights that are not shielded, so if they break, glass rains down into the aquariums.

• Kittens are crowded into ferret cages, climbing over each other to get attention from passersby until they grow too large to be kittens and are taken elsewhere.

Pollywood was investigated by an organization called Companion Animal Protection Society (CAPS). They discovered more than 30 complaints had been filed in 2007 to the state. Among the complaints: 20 kittens stuffed in a pen; sick puppies covered in feces, some injured by broken cages; guinea pigs bleeding and overcrowded, one without an eye. Inspection records show they found a dog's carcass in a freezer and kittens who died after receiving no veterinary care.

Read about Deborah Howard’s visit:
http://www.caps-web.o...­

Since August of 2009, Animal Control has logged four complaints regarding sick dogs. Most people do not know where to file complaints now, so one can imagine that for every one complaint there are likely many more.

In addition, The Michigan Humane Society has a campaign called “Protect our Puppies” targeting pet stores.

Participants should bring signs that are easy to read, clear and bold. Signs can say anything from "shut down Pollywood," "Pollywood is no place for animals," "adopt, don't shop," "Pollywood: horrible conditions," to "boycott pollywood."

Please support all the campaigns by boycotting this event and participating in our rally.

Learn more about Puppy Mill Awareness
http://www.meetup.com...­

For more information, or to arrange an interview, please contact Pam Sordyl at 734-828-17400 or psordyl01@yahoo.com

For publication purposes, please print the following information: http://www.meetup.com...­.

###
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,557
County gets grant to help spay and neuter pets

By GORDON WILCZYNSKI

Posted: Tuesday, 08/20/13 12:01 am
Updated: Tuesday, 08/20/13 10:35 am

Jule Nolta, left and her dog Chet and Susan Cody and her dog Martha, were at the Mount Clemens Dog Park on Lafayette near Groesbeck Avenue where they heard about Macomb County’s free spay/neuter service offered by the Macomb County Animal Control office. The Macomb Daily/DAVID N. POSAVETZ

The Macomb County Animal Shelter has received three grants that will help pay for a spay and neutering program for dogs and cats in the Mount Clemens area and northeast Clinton Township, according to Chief Officer Jeff Randazzo.

Thanks to the non-profit animal welfare group All About Animals Rescue, the animal shelter on Dunham Road has received grants totaling $230,000. The funds will be used to provide spay and neutering surgeries for dogs and cats in the targeted communities at no cost to the owners.

Randazzo said $100,000 will be used by to conduct 2,200 feline spay/neutering surgeries to all cats owned in the targeted area. He said a stipulation for the grant to continue is that 1,100 surgeries be completed by next August and another 1,100 surgeries be done by July 21, 2015.

The $99,800 grant will be used by Animal Control to conduct 1,210 spay/neuter surgeries on dogs owned by someone living in the Mount Clemens, northeast Clinton Township area. Randazzo said 605 surgeries must be performed by July 21, 2015.

“The grant money will be used to reduce the number of animals that are euthanized or surrendered to the animal shelter,” Catherine Garrett, director of development for All About Animals which she calls a low cost, high volume organization. “Mount Clemens is a city of need and has one of the highest number of surrendered animals in the county.”

Garrett said workers at Warren-based All About Animals respect Randazzo and enjoy working with him.
“He is the right person for the job because he has the ability to see that animals are protected,” she said.
“We need to partner with organizations that want to value lives.”

Randazzo has already gone out and prosecuted people who abuse their animals. He currently is working on charges against the owner of a pet store that operates out of the Gibraltar Trade Center on North River Road in Mount Clemens.

Garrett said much of the responsibility for the well-being of dogs and cats are their owners. She said the Mount Clemens area has too many cats roaming the streets.

Garrett said cats can breed at the age of four months. She said they breed three times a year.

Garrett also said 35 percent of the cats that came to the animal shelter were euthanized, but that figure has dropped to 8 percent under Randazzo’s watch.

“We spay and neuter them and then they are released back into their environment,” she said.
All About Animals doctors performed spay or neuter 17,000 surgeries last year.

“There is no excuse for having an over-pet population if you live in Mount Clemens which has a free spay/neuter program,” Randazzo said. “We want everyone who lives in Mount Clemens or northeast Clinton Township to have their dogs and cats spayed or neutered for free.”

Mayor Barbara Dempsey said she is glad Mount Clemens was selected as a target city. She said All About Animals will provide transportation to pet owners who don’t have a way to get their animals treatment.

All About Animals Rescue is a non-profit organization founded in 2005 dedicated to the prevention of needless euthanasia through high quality, free to low-cost spay/neuter adoptions, wellness car, cat trap-neuter-return training and pet food assistance.

For more information, call Macomb County Animal Shelter at 586-469-5115 or All About Animals at 586-879-1745.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,559

Each year we round up as many members as possible to make some big noise in a key city. Sometimes the threat of a protest has given a store the boot! Remember I Heart Dogs at the Partridge Creek Mall? This year we choose Mt. Clemens – home to our state’s WORST pet store to kick off our new BOYCOTT POLLYWOODS PET Campaign. Are you ready???

Yes, we have protested at the Trade Center before, successfully ruining Pollywood’s 2010 Pet Expo and future plans for Pet Expos. This time we will be around much longer and already have scheduled events on our calendar: 10/8 A Town Hall, 10/21 and 10/28 City Commissioner Meetings and Holiday Protests. View calendar.

We won’t be “rescuing” any animals to prove our case (and we ask that you do not either). We are armed with years of inspections, almost 200 complaints and a new County Animal Control Officer (Jeff Randazzo) that knows the Pet Store Laws!!!

Learn more about Pollywood and our campaign plans on our website.
http://michiganpuppym...­

Are you ready to take action and support Jeff Randazzo! RSVP Today!
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Northville, MI
Post #: 1,563

County gets grant to help spay and neuter pets
By GORDON WILCZYNSKI
Posted: Tuesday, 08/20/13 12:01 am

Jule Nolta, left and her dog Chet and Susan Cody and her dog Martha, were at the Mount Clemens Dog Park on Lafayette near Groesbeck Avenue where they heard about Macomb County’s free spay/neuter service offered by the Macomb County Animal Control office. The Macomb Daily/DAVID N. POSAVETZ

The Macomb County Animal Shelter has received three grants that will help pay for a spay and neutering program for dogs and cats in the Mount Clemens area and northeast Clinton Township, according to Chief Officer Jeff Randazzo.
Thanks to the non-profit animal welfare group All About Animals Rescue, the animal shelter on Dunham Road has received grants totaling $230,000. The funds will be used to provide spay and neutering surgeries for dogs and cats in the targeted communities at no cost to the owners.
Randazzo said $100,000 will be used by to conduct 2,200 feline spay/neutering surgeries to all cats owned in the targeted area. He said a stipulation for the grant to continue is that 1,100 surgeries be completed by next August and another 1,100 surgeries be done by July 21, 2015.
The $99,800 grant will be used by Animal Control to conduct 1,210 spay/neuter surgeries on dogs owned by someone living in the Mount Clemens, northeast Clinton Township area. Randazzo said 605 surgeries must be performed by July 21, 2015.
“The grant money will be used to reduce the number of animals that are euthanized or surrendered to the animal shelter,” Catherine Garrett, director of development for All About Animals which she calls a low cost, high volume organization. “Mount Clemens is a city of need and has one of the highest number of surrendered animals in the county.”
Garrett said workers at Warren-based All About Animals respect Randazzo and enjoy working with him.
“He is the right person for the job because he has the ability to see that animals are protected,” she said.
“We need to partner with organizations that want to value lives.”
Randazzo has already gone out and prosecuted people who abuse their animals. He currently is working on charges against the owner of a pet store that operates out of the Gibraltar Trade Center on North River Road in Mount Clemens.
Garrett said much of the responsibility for the well-being of dogs and cats are their owners. She said the Mount Clemens area has too many cats roaming the streets.
Garrett said cats can breed at the age of four months. She said they breed three times a year.
Garrett also said 35 percent of the cats that came to the animal shelter were euthanized, but that figure has dropped to 8 percent under Randazzo’s watch.
“We spay and neuter them and then they are released back into their environment,” she said.
All About Animals doctors performed spay or neuter 17,000 surgeries last year.
“There is no excuse for having an over-pet population if you live in Mount Clemens which has a free spay/neuter program,” Randazzo said. “We want everyone who lives in Mount Clemens or northeast Clinton Township to have their dogs and cats spayed or neutered for free.”
Mayor Barbara Dempsey said she is glad Mount Clemens was selected as a target city. She said All About Animals will provide transportation to pet owners who don’t have a way to get their animals treatment.
All About Animals Rescue is a non-profit organization founded in 2005 dedicated to the prevention of needless euthanasia through high quality, free to low-cost spay/neuter adoptions, wellness car, cat trap-neuter-return training and pet food assistance.
For more information, call Macomb County Animal Shelter at 586-469-5115 or All About Animals at 586-879-1745.