addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup (Southeast Michigan) Message Board › Pollywood Pets (Mt. Clemens)

Pollywood Pets (Mt. Clemens)

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,564
August 27, 2013

Dear Shelly Myers,

I am following up regarding our conversation in today about puppies being sold retail in your store.

As you may have read in the Macomb Daily recently, Mt. Clemens has the highest number of animals surrendered to the county shelter. Although you stated selling puppies is your industry and have no interest in ending sales, regularly selling intact animals works against community adoption programs and contributes to the homeless pet crisis in our entire state. Therefore, my organization, Puppy Mill Awareness, is requesting you only host adoption events using non-profit organizations to manage the placements of homeless animals instead.

In addition, our recent investigation showed you have the most complaints filed with the Michigan Department of Agriculture dating back to 2003. We are concerned about the conditions in the store and the suppliers you use for your animals. You stated you did not feel comfortable discussing your puppy suppliers. As you may know, the USDA requires facilities selling wholesale to be licensed and inspected. However, this does not guarantee adequate care and healthy puppies. Unfortunately you will not find reputable breeders that will work with your store and the public is demanding humane pets.

I am attaching an invitation to the Puppy Friendly Pet Store program. By joining this program, you would be the first store in Michigan to stop selling puppies. Nearly 100 supply only stores have taken the pledge and the public is responding to this campaign.

Pam Sordyl
Puppy Mill Awareness of SE Michigan
734-828-1400
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,565
8-29-13

The owner of Pollywood Pets replied to our request to stop selling puppies and kittens: “I do not appreciate you contacting me or my family about your message. Your terrorist activity is a violation of my right to conduct proper business. DO NOT Contact me or my family by phone, email, or texting. Seek out the homeless and abusive care givers or a lack of there I will be sending you contact information on to my attorney should you find this message difficult for you to understand!! Have a nice day.”
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,566

Learn more about Pollywood Pets on our website.

Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,567

Pollywood Pets (Mt. Clemens, Mi) has been operating since 1991 as Michigan’s worst pet store. Year after year, the store racks up all kinds of complaints from sick and injured dogs in the store, animals that have died shortly after purchase and deplorable conditions in the store. Most shoppers are shocked at the number of dogs circling in their stack small cages barking out of frustration. Everyone wonders who takes care of them during the week when the Trade Center is closed?

View our Complaint Log
http://files.meetup.c...­
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,568

TOWN HALL MEETING
Tuesday, October 8, 2013
6:30 PM to 8:00 PM
Mount Clemens Public Library
150 Cass Avenue, Mount Clemens, MI (edit map)
Large Auditorium Room - Lower Level

Join Puppy Mill Awareness of SE Michigan and concerned citizen for a Town Hall meeting to learn how to get involved in the Boycott Pollywood Pets campaign.

Members of Puppy Mill Awareness will be sharing a summary of pet store violations from the Michigan Department of Agriculture to show why Pollywood is Michigan’s worst pet store and chronic offender of the Michigan Pet Store Laws.

Sign-up for the campaign to receive action alerts, attend City Commissioner meetings, distribute fact sheets and posters, protest during the holidays and more.

http://www.meetup.com...­
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,569

Why is this store still open?

The store owners hide behind the protection of the Gibraltar Trade Center who certainly appreciates the zoo-like attraction set up at as a destination booth at the back. Shoppers are drawn to the variety of animal noises and displays. But isn’t the store breaking laws by keeping the animals in small cages without water or exercise? Yes, sometimes. Currently (2013), there is very little oversight and enforcement. The Michigan Department of Agriculture no longer regulates or inspects pet stores unless the local animal control or law enforcement request assistance. They dropped their program in August of 2009. Is the local Animal Control doing something now? Mt. Clemens does employee an Animal Control Officer. The County Animal Control Director has learned the laws and is now charging the store with pet store violations as of August 2013.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,570
Pollywood Pets - City Commissioners Meeting (Mt. Clemens)
Monday, October 21, 2013
7:00 PM
Mt. Clemens City Hall
1 Crocker Boulevard, Mount Clemens, MI (edit map)
Commission Chambers

Local Mt. Clemens residents are encouraged to attend this initial City Commissioner meeting to help us educate the commissioners about puppy mills, backyard breeders and pet store neglect. We also want to ensure they are aware of the homeless pet crisis in Mt. Clemens. There are many ways community leaders can promote humane pet acquisitions.

Everyone is encouraged to attend even if you do not plan to speak. Wear your favorite animal welfare t-shirt or button to show your support.

If you wish to speak, please let us know in the comments of your RSVP so we can divide up scripts and keep the messages new and informative. We will not be attacking Pollywood Pets or asking victims to speak out at this meeting.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,571

Do you have videos or photos of Pollywood Pets? Please contact the Meetup Admin. Thanks - Pam
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,572

What? Pollywood is using only USDA certified breeders??? and are professionals? We only have two Michigan USDA licensed breeders and there are no interstate health certificates showing dogs shipped to Pollywood from out of state USDA licensed breeders.

Pollywood Pets primarily works with random sources. There are few out of state shipping records and some families have been provided local Michigan breeder names, most of which are not licensed or regulated.
Pam
Pamela01
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,573

If you plan to attend our Puppy Mill Awareness Day protest we will have signs for you to hold. We are going to stick with a few simple messages that are easy to read from the road. If you would like to make more signs (we only made 8 last night), you should use the following messages 1) Boycott Pollywood, 2) Pet Store Neglect – Pollywood 3) Sick Animal Complaints – Pollywood. We are also making signs that say Pollywood with a circle and line crossed through it.