addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup (Southeast Michigan) Message Board › Pollywood Pets (Mt. Clemens)

Pollywood Pets (Mt. Clemens)

Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,574

9/2/13 PMA members will be passing out literature about the horrors at Pollywood in Mt. Clemens this week. We have posters and flyers. I am sure we will recruit many more supporters. Download our Fact Sheet. http://files.meetup.c...­
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,576
10/1/06 Inspection:1) No out of state animals 2) HC are valid, but some have two months between exams. 5a) Ventilation in the isolation room needs to be improved. Use a fan of some kind. Remove garbage can from the room. Cover garbage. Needs cover on seed bins.

11/4/07 Inspection: 2) Younger pup hc's valid. Older dogs need to have recheck every 30 days. Several older dogs hc's out of date. 1) Medication must be labeled with veterinarians label and prescribed to a specific animal. 10) Have shih-tzus in back to vet - looks like demodex. 10) remove two cats from from cages. Eye discharge, see vet. 9) Seperate male and female cats.

5/9/08 Inspection: Mon 8:45 am. 3 1/2 hour inspection by Dr. Barr. Written on Special Report form. Co-exam with Dr. Bill Nemeth. HC 725514 to xxx 725834. No age, wt recorded at time of re-exam 4/26/08. Trade Center Closed - inspection controlled. Records not examined due to recent inspeciton. Kittens need more room. Unsatisfactory Rabbit and bird properly stored food. Unsatisfactory no food or water for kittens. Unsatisfactory syringe in cage on floor also used needle, with cap.

5/22/09 Inspection: Make sure rabies vaccinations given at 4 months age to dogs. 8a) Bird seed needs to be stored in proper sealed containers with lids that are tight fitting. 8d) use metal dishes in cages with dogs that chew. Replace chewed food/water dishes. They are clean and santitized. 8e) Dog cages are clean and santized. Bird cages and emply cages need to be cleaned and santized. 8g) Rodent problem still exists. Need to implement all recommendation to remove food sources and bedding shavings should be moved or stored properly. Contact USDA APHIS or private rodent control company.

Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,577
Mar 16, 2008, Aimee Weglarz , Michigan
I bought a dog from Gibraltar 6 years ago.They told me he was a pure bred Chihauhau and even gave me papers stating that he was pure breed. He is now 21 pounds (and he is not overweight). I have had many vets tell me it would be impossible for this dog to be truly purebred at that size. In September, I went to Gibraltar and stopped by Pollywood to check out the puppies. There was one dog in particular that was missing about 50% of his hair, looked like he was starving and had clumps of blood on his ears. I was so upset that I asked if he could be taken out for me to see. They avoided me and said he had to be bathed. Theyasked me to come back in 30 minutes...about 2 hours later he was finally back..I asked to see him again..and they told me if I was interested in thebreed...they would let me know when they got new ones in....I insisted on seeing the dog. When the dog was taken out he was frozen with fear...I had him out for close to an hour and he never moved. I was crying and the Shelly told me "You could be his hero". She told me he was $400. I asked if she would go down in price, she said $300 cash was the lowest she would go. When I said I would think about it she warned me the dog might not be there the next time I came. I went back the next day and there was a dog show run by localprofit free organizations sponsored by Gibraltar . I told her I could get a dog that was healthy, fixed, pure bred, and all shots updated for $100.00. She finally agreed on $250. I took Andy home and localchildren asked if he was abused. He was scared of grass, concrete, flowers,leashes...everything....the only thing he found comfort in was chewing up newpapers. It has been 6 months now...Andy has grown back all his hair. He has developed a great relationship with me, but still has a difficult time building relationships with others. I decided I wanted to help more of these adult dogs trapped in cages. I went back to Gibraltar and offered to help a couple of these dogs find homes. Shelly stated she would appreciate the help. She showed the paperwork on one the dogs I wanted to rescue and I realized it was the same paperwork she gave me for Andy. She lied to me and told me Andy was only six months old when I purchased him...the paperwork she gave stated he was a 1 1/ I have no idea about his records since they were the wrong ones! Today I went back to purchase a dogthat has been in a cage for two years. I was going to pay $250 for the dog and give him to a local adoption agency. She told me he had to sell for $300...I asked if she could give him to me for $275...she wouldn't budge and had me kicked out....Her statement was :I have a business to run". I am now taking a vow to help shut down Pollywood Pets.
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,578
joleen Says:
September 23rd, 2011 at 6:38 am
My daughter and her 15 year old friend were able to purchase a 9 week old kitty from Pollywood Pets on 9/10/11. The store needs to be shut down. A 15 year old is not able to be bound to any legal contract and what kind of company promotes selling animals to children??? My daughter and her friend tried to takethe kitty back for a refund but the owner would only take the kitty back and not refund the money. Being an animal lover I took posession of the kitty on 9/11/11. We named him munchkin because he was very small and fragile. I knew there was no way this kitten would’ve ever made it if the girls had given it back to Pollywood pets. On 9/14/11 I took munchkin into the animal clinic where the 9 week old kitty weighed in at one pound and not in good condition. I am sad to say that munchkin died only one week of being purchased from Pollywood pets. The owner has yet to return my numerous callls. I believe Pollywood pets owes me and my family a new kittty.. It would obviously have a much better life than being in the possession of Pollywood pets. I have also filed a police report, will file a report with the better business bureau and with the Gibraltor Trade center to see if something positive can come out of such a loss. Have also thought about calling Ruth to the rescue or the hall of shame.
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,579
Chronic Problems – Michigan Department of Agriculture Reports

2/13/04 Non-compliance Letter
Based on inspections between May 2003-Jan 2004, conditions have been in violation of the statutory requirements which warrant action to commence proceedings for license revocation:
1) Failure to obtain valid Pet Shop License
2) Failure to limit sales of animals to those 8 weeks of age.
3) Failure to provide timely removal of debris, filth and waste to minimize vermin, odor and disease.
4) Failure to sufficiently clean and disinfect primary animal enclosures.
5) Failure to maintain proper general housekeeping, cleanliness, are repair so to prevent disease hazards.
6) Failure to provide separation of animals in order to prevent spread of communicable disease.
7) Failure to provide a sufficient number of employees to meet husbandry needs.
8) Failure to provide or seek adequate vet care.

4/2/04- Informal Hearing
Dr. Halstead's expectations:
Wire cages and close spacing is insufficient . Need separators or different cages.
Effective cleaning and disinfecting. Work with local vet regarding care. All record avail upon inspection. Isolation period 7 to 10 days. Isolate new animals. Be discriminating with your sources - require vet certificate or health program involving vet. Make corrections immediately. Address before next visit - unannounced.

1/11/08 -MDA Concerns Letter
1) Failure to provide proof of a current copy of a health certificate for puppies and kittens for sale.
2) Failure to provide adequate ventilation in the dog housing area.
3) Failure to keep the desk area clean.
4) Failure to provide nonabsorbent surfaces in the isolation room.
Items to be stored in the isolation room must be stored within nonabsorbent, sanitizable containers. In addition, as a reminder, you must promptly consult with a veterinarian whenever an animal for sale or adoption at your store becomes ill or injured (R285.151.36). In addition, an ill animal that may have a contagious disease must be isolated from healthy animals to prevent the spread of disease (285.151.34). Last visit all animals healthy 1/8/08, she has occasionally found ill animals, some of which were not properly isolated that had not been seen by a veterinarian. Given 30 days to resolve.

7/28/08-Concerns Letter-Notification of Evidentiary Hearing.
1) Failure to maintain records for regulated animals including name and address from where animal was acquired, date acquired, and description of animal.
2) Failure to seek the services of vet whenever a health hazard arises.

6/19/09 -MDA Concerns Letter
1) Failure to adequately store food and bedding.
2) Failure to have an effective pest control program.
Correct within 30 days

Download Chronic Problems List

Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,580
Michigan Department of Agriculture Work Orders (2007-2009)

Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,581
Puppy Mill Awareness Day - Michigan
Pollywood Pets
Gilbraltar Trade Center
Mt. Clemens, Mi
Sunday, September 15, 2013
11:00 - 12:30 pm
Join us for a short protest to warn the public about Michigan's worst pet store!
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,582

Pollywood Pets under fire from local group:
chronic pet store complaints

Dog advocate group invites concerned citizens to a
Puppy Mill Awareness Day Rally

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 13, 2013

Mt. Clemens, Mich. – On Sunday, September 15, 20103, Puppy Mill Awareness of Southeast Michigan will be holding a peaceful rally against Michigan’s worst pet store, Pollywood Pets, from 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in Mt. Clemens. Participants will be provided signs. Events such as this will be held all over the country for the annual national Puppy Mill Awareness Day.

The Pollywood Pets store is located in the Gilbratar Trade Center 237 N. River Road Mt. Clemens, Michigan.

The purpose of the rally is to warn customers about sick and genetically defective animals sold from this store. The group’s investigation revealed that Pollywood Pets has accumulated over 120 complaints with the Michigan Department of Agriculture during the years the department regulated pet stores. Complaints included sick animals purchased and poor conditions inside the store. Local Animal Control stated they receive weekly complaints.

“I was horrified when I visited the store this past July. There was a urine stained rabbit,
animals under heat lights, matted dogs, and a stressed birds. The dogs pace back and forth, some circle in their cage out of frustration and boredom. This is no place for animals. “ local resident.

“The store is a chronic offender who receives repeat warnings yet continues to mistreat animals and tries to turn customers or concerned citizens into criminals for asking questions or taking photos.” Pam Sordyl, Founder of Puppy Mill Awareness of Southeast Michigan

Puppy Mill Awareness is asking Southeast Michigan pet stores, including Pollywood, to agree to the stop selling animals acquired from breeders in their store or on the internet and instead work with non-profit rescue groups only.

The Puppy Mill Awareness Meetup is working to build awareness toward ending mass production of dogs in "puppy mills." The group’s public education campaign teaches the public about the origins of pet store puppies and lobbies for stronger laws and regulations for animal breeding.

Learn more about Puppy Mill Awareness­

Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,583

Meetup Members,

We had another successful Puppy Mill Awareness Day – our fifth! And we are still going strong. Around 45, mostly local Macomb advocates, joined us at the Gibraltar Trade Center to warn customers about the sick animals sold at Pollywood Pets.

It was a bad day for Pollywood Pets and a great way to kick off our 2013 Campaign!

See all of our photos.­

I would like to thank Olivia, Pam, Janet, Hyatt and Sharon for helping with all the signs. Homes for Angels Dog Rescue also made a stack of signs. We will be using them again for the holidays, unless the store closes sooner.

You can follow our campaign activities on our new Pollywood Pets Boycott Facebook page.

Pam Sordyl
Founder of Puppy Mill Awareness of SE Michigan
Group Organizer
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 1,584
After a successful kick-off protest this past weekend, we are gearing up for our next Pollywood Pets Campaign event. Everyone that wants to make changes at the Trade Center should attend our Town Hall Meeting. If you know any advocates in Mt. Clemens or who have purchased a sick dog, please encourage them to attend.

Town Hall Meeting
Tuesday, October 8, 2013
6:30 PM to 8:00 PM
Mount Clemens Public Library
150 Cass Avenue, Mount Clemens, MI
Large Auditorium Room - Lower Level­