Join us for an effort at closing some Python bugs and feature requests. Get quick feedback on your patches and bugfixes, learn how to submit and examine patches, and have fun chatting with the Python developers and other contributors. You don’t need to know the CPython codebase or process to join, just Python programming knowledge.
If you live in Montreal, come at Caravan to meet fellow hackers and take part in a physical sprint!
Please register to let us know how many people to expect. People from around the world are should join the #python-dev IRC channel to participate in the bug day.
- Grab a copy of the Python codebase from Mercurial, following instructions in the Developer's Guide, and compile it.
- If you have a problem that isn't in the bug tracker, announce it to the IRC channel, and if it's more than five minutes' work, create a bug report for it. See the bug reporting instructions to learn how to write bug reports.
- When you choose a bug to work on, announce it to the IRC channel (e.g. "I'm working on #123456.") or on the bug report itself. This avoids accidentally duplicating work.
- Consider providing a patch that fixes the problem, or at least a simple test case that demonstrates the bug. Please see the patch submission guidelines in the Developer's Guide before submitting a patch.
- Does the bug appear to be gone in the Python development version (the Mercurial branch "default", that will become 3.4), but not the 3.2, 3.3 or 2.7 maintenance branchs? Report that, too.
- If someone else has supplied a fix, see if this fix works for² you, and add your results to the bug.
- Read the text of proposed patches and assess them for correctness and code quality. This is usually the most time-consuming step in the bug fixing process, so reading patches is very useful.
- If there's a working fix, feel free to add a note asking for the fix to get committed. The bug tracker has a lot of items in it, and it's easy for bugs to be overlooked.
- Feature requests should be classified as type 'feature request' in the bug tracker.