Senior Systems Engineer
6 month contract (with potential for conversion to permanent)
Atlanta, GA (downtown)
• Programming competency with Ruby and/or Perl is key (candidates will be asked to write a program during the interview)
• Demonstrate senior level knowledge of Red Hat Linux SAN/storage environment and Solaris lab & production environment support/configuration
• VMware, KVM, Xen for virtualization
• Puppet/Chef/CFEngine for configuration management
This position is responsible for the architectural design, build, stability, integrity, and efficient operation of the production operations platform architecture that supports our client’s News, Sports and Entertainment websites. The Senior Engineer must possess very strong technical and problem solving skills in multiple flavors of Linux/Unix such as Red Hat, Ubuntu, CentOS, X-86 Solaris, FreeBSD and SUSE Linux. The Senior Engineer will support the design, deployment, management and monitoring of Media Platform Technology Operations (MPTO) infrastructure resources, conduct problem analysis and perform system troubleshooting.
Must possess the ability to work under pressure with aggressive deadlines, prioritize projects, and maintain focus and a positive attitude. The individual must possess strong leadership and collaboration skills, have a passion for lean process and agile methodology, should be innovative, creative, quick thinker, fast learner, and a team player with a strong customer service focus.
*On-Call rotation is 4 days every 3 weeks
• 8+ years of verifiable experience in Red Hat Linux or Solaris UNIX System Administration, architecture and planning for enterprise level organizations.
• Using Ruby or Perl, develop platform automation, build and monitoring tools/processes using open-source centric programming languages
1. Python, Java, PHP, shell scripts are also acceptable
• Should be an expert in (Puppet, Chef, or CFEngine) configuration management and automation systems integration, hardware upgrades and maintenance support for large-scale server and storage platforms.
• Strong background in SAN storage environment support and configuration
• Very strong VMware (ESX), KVM, or Xen virtualization experience and general best practices implementations.
• Design and deploy systems configurations by analyzing operating systems, application environments, system resources, and business customer requirements
• Work with Systems Design & Engineering, Network Engineering and Application Operations teams to collaborate on scalable, performance platform solutions that meet business requirements
• Collaborate with development teams and business clients in “white boarding” systems design, capacity/redundancy planning and product/platform architecture deployments
• Improve performance and scalability in system environments by researching, evaluating and recommending new technology products and services
• Create and update system and procedural documentation
• Continuously updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, open source user groups, reading professional publications and white papers. Stays abreast of current and cutting edge Internet operations best practices, establishes personal professional network related to systems architecture trends, gives presentations to technical and business teams
• Schedules installations/upgrades and maintenance in accordance with established IT policies and procedures and business requirements. Works closely with business owners on change and maintenance windows/requests
• Tactful, resourceful and possess an agile, “DevOps” approach to systems engineering
• Four-year college diploma or university degree in computer science or software engineering or equivalent practical work experience.
• Works well with others in an integrated team environment – acts as a team leader and technology evangelist within the organization
• Must be able to mentor and train other system engineers on architecture best practices and operations related issues
• Strong background with web platform architectures such as Nginx, Apache, Tomcat, CMS systems (Drupal & custom), databases (relational and NOSQL), proxy and caching environments (memcache, membase, Redis, Varnish), messaging queues (AMQ) and load balancing technologies
• Strong background and expertise in enterprise storage systems (NAS, SAN, NFS, Fiber Channel), clustering solutions, filesystems, RAID, Volume Managers
• Extensive knowledge of Storage management, Operating System hardening and storage node or filesystem clustering
• Strong understanding on Networking protocols such as TCP/IP, DHCP, VPN, FTP, SMTP, SNMP, DNS, HTTP
• Able to maintain a rotational on-call responsibility
• Knowledgeable regarding emerging technologies in the digital media marketplace
• Self motivated, goal oriented and meticulous individual, who can adhere to departmental processes and procedures and able to work with minimal supervision.
• Able to multi-task and manage changing and possibly conflicting priorities to meet demands of internal and external customers.
• Excellent analytical, communication (verbal and writing) skills, process-oriented.
• Must be able to communicate effectively with management, multiple business units and product development teams
Please upload your resume here: http://www.spartanres...