PyAtl: Atlanta Python Programmers Message Board › Early Planning for Sept 13th Meeting and Aug. 9th Reminder

Early Planning for Sept 13th Meeting and Aug. 9th Reminder

A former member
Aug. 9th PyAtl Meeting: (Django/SQL?

Hi Everyone,

Just a reminder it looks like we are on our way to a full house again for the Aug. 9th meeting, we already have close to 32 people booked. If you plan on attending, I would recommend doing an RSVP early as we only have room for 50! I know I am very excited about the Django and Elixir presentations!

It seems like we are going to try to stick with this formula from now on:

30 minute group discussion
2(10) minute lightening talks
20 minute main presentation
Wrap by 9PM firm, and allow for optional coding/discussions.

We need a main 20 minute presentation, and two 10 minute presentations for Sept. Lets get these booked early.

Recommended topics:

Test driven development: I saw many hands go up at the last discussion.
Threading in Python
Procedural vs. Object Oriented vs. Functional Programming Styles in Python
Your Pet Project: Have an open source project...lets hear about it.
Plone/Zope 3: Remember the PyAtl website is moving to Plone

Quick Announcements:

We need help running PyAtl, and the best way to do it is for everyone to get involved and do a little part. So far we have:

Librarian: Priscilla

Webmasters: Allen Stafford and Derek Richardson, although Chris Heisel and a few more of us are also interested in helping develop a new PyAtl website around the Plone CMS, at least for the short term. If you interested in helping on the website, join this list: http://groups.google....­

Book Club: I don't think we really have a lead organizer, but I personally vote for the famous­ Doug Hellmann.
join here: http://groups.google....­ So far the book club is off to a modest start and we currently reading Restful Web Services. Remember there is also a limited about of free book for each month, but we will leave it up to our librarian to decide how those get distributed.

Help still needed:

A/V Guru:

We need an Audio/Video Guru to be in charge of recording audio and video and making podcasts. I can help with providing some of the equipment during the meeting, as I have a condenser mike and recording software.

Minister of Sprints:

We are one of the biggest Python Interest Groups in the World, yet, we have barely done any Sprinting. What gives....? We need a dedicated individual to constantly look out for Sprinting Opportunities and organize them! I know this sounds perfect for someone..it it YOU?

Stenographer:

Do you love typing! Are you enthralled with note taking? We need you, to help type up a recap of each meeting and post on our new CMS site. You would work closely with our web team.

Unknown:

Do you have a special ability? Give yourself a title, put it on your resume...I will back your play! We need any help we can get.

Thanks,

Noah