addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

PyAtl: Atlanta Python Programmers Message Board PyAtl Job Listings › Mac OS X deployment to non-developers

Mac OS X deployment to non-developers

JR R.
user 9739887
Smyrna, GA
Post #: 3
Hi folks!

I've recently been involved in building some tools for some non-developers: namely graphic designers and the like. The object is to make the tool pretty easy to use and easy to install for new users. Here are some of the hangups:
- I'm going to be doing some image file manipulation with these tools, so I need to use PIL, or something very similar if there's a more suitable choice in this case. My needs are fairly basic, so while I'm aware, for instance, of Pillow, it doesn't seem to provide me with any particular advantages in this case.
- These users are NOT developers - therefore, they will have the stock Mac OS X Python installed, will not have packages like setuptools or distribute installed, or pip, or homebrew or anything like that. In addition, they will likely not have XCode installed either, so building PIL or homebrew or something from source complicates matters.
- The users may not even have root / sudo access to their own machines to install XCode or anything like that.

I've looked at creating simple application bundles with tools like py2app, but I've run into a few difficulties getting it to work properly. Does anyone in our group have experience building simple / drop-in Python apps for Mac OS X who'd like to share some tips? Especially if you've successfully used py2app before, I'd love to hear about it and possibly pick your brain.

Thanks in advance!