addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

PyAtl: Atlanta Python Programmers Message Board PyAtl Job Listings › Review of Livelessons Python Fundamentals by Wesley Chun

Review of Livelessons Python Fundamentals by Wesley Chun

Wolf H.
wolf.halton
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 1
When I first saw the Livelessons 'Python Fundamentals' I was excited to see a comprehensive video-tutorial of python. There are a number of video lessons on the Internet for python, but they have spotty coverage of topics. There are a lot of 'hello world'-level videos out there, but there is no continuum of difficulty levels.

Rather than write a more traditional review, I am choosing to include you in the review process for reasons that will be made clear very soon.

When I put the DVD into the player on my laptop it sounded like a P51 fighter engine. I couldn't hear the audio track over the dvd chatter, so I copied the contents of the DVD to my hard drive. This might be a problem for people who do not have large hard drives. I am going to try the disc on one of the computers at work on Monday, to see if the disc is quieter on a more robustly-built dvd player.

Once I had the contents of the disc copied, which took 7 minutes, I opened the Totem movie player to watch them. I am a Linux user, and the AV tool development community are not to the place where you can just assume that a video product will run as expected.

Of the 58 .flv files on the disc,
11 perform properly, either from the dvd or from my hard disc.
15 produce a stripe of varigated colour across the center of the screen
and the rest display a black screen.

This severely reduces the value. Another reduction of the value is the 1:01 minute ad for livelessons at the end of each video. With 58 files on the disc, even if they all displayed correctly, that means almost an hour of the video is one repeated ad.

So far, I am finding the slim companion volume to the videos to be far more useful, however I would not recommend the package. One bright point; so far the audio has worked on every .flv file.

-Wolf
Doug H.
doughellmann
Group Organizer
Athens, GA
Post #: 3
Hmm, that is disappointing. Does the documentation say anything about what platforms they expect the video to work on?

Maybe if you can bring the disk to the next meeting, we can try it in a couple of other systems to see if we can make it work on a computer at all.

Doug
Wolf H.
wolf.halton
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 2
They expected it to be used on Windows. I tried the disk out on a Windows XP box and ran the 'autorun' exe in the root directory of the disk. all the videos worked through that mode of playback, and it didn't have any of the annoying ads that I saw when I was using the disk on my Ubuntu box.
Doug H.
doughellmann
Group Organizer
Athens, GA
Post #: 4
Ah, that isn't entirely surprising. I wonder if it would work in a Windows VM? Either way, if you're able to watch the videos under Windows that is good information to include in the review.

Doug