Queer Theory Book Group! Message Board › future books...

future books...

Miriam
user 11215601
Oakland, CA
Post #: 14
Not to be toooo precocious since we haven't even scheduled the next meeting yet, but for the meeting AFTER that, after we discuss Men in Eden: William Drummond Stewart and Same-Sex Desire in the Rocky Mountain Fur Trade, could we maybe read something focused more on queer female folks to balance out that and Gay New York?

I know there was Stone Butch Blues, but maybe something that is less of an institution in queer culture and more just...a history. I feel like in some ways what Stone Butch Blues IS speaks so loudly that it's hard to just pay attention to the historical stuff...
Ian
user 56321322
Group Organizer
Oakland, CA
Post #: 1
i support this idea!
A former member
sounds good to me.
A former member
What about "My Dangerous Desires" by Amber Hollibaugh? It's a collection of her essays from the late '70s to 2000, so it spans a lot of queer history and touches on many aspects of queer culture in terms of class, gender, sexuality and politics. Looking forward to our next meeting... can we just go ahead and schedule it to one of the remaining Wednesdays in February?
A former member
"My Dangerous Desires" looks awesome, I would love to read it!
Miriam
user 11215601
Oakland, CA
Post #: 15
I was thinking of something a bit further back, maybe roughly paralleling the time periods of Gay New York & Men in Eden. (1830s-1940.) I feel like I've absorbed bits of 1950-2000 gay culture almost by osmosis, but some of the stuff from ~100 years ago is pretty foreign to me (and surprising, at least from Gay New York & Men in Eden.) I bookmarked a few things on Amazon--I'll go find them...
Miriam
user 11215601
Oakland, CA
Post #: 16
The books I bookmarked:

Between Women: Friendship, Desire, and Marriage in Victorian England

Odd Girls and Twilight Lovers: A History of Lesbian Life in Twentieth-Century America

Surpassing the Love of Men: Romantic Friendship and Love Between Women from the Renaissance to the Present

& less sure about these but I bookmarked them too:

Not a Passing Phase: Reclaiming Lesbians in History 1840-1985

A Lesbian History of Britain: Love and Sex Between Women Since 1500
Ian
user 56321322
Group Organizer
Oakland, CA
Post #: 3
I've read Surpassing the Love of Men. It's an interesting read, though I would advise everyone that, in my recollection, it both tends to approach sexual orientation as a trans-historical phenomenon and seems to want to portray and promote a very particular model of relationships between women. Oh, and at several points makes some very revealing anti-butch/trans/masculine comments (again, if I'm remembering correctly).

May I also suggest Sister Outsider by Audre Lorde, or something by bell hooks? I am woefully behind on my QWOC reading.
A former member
Post #: 2
I would also love to read something that includes a critical analysis of race and class
Ian
user 56321322
Group Organizer
Oakland, CA
Post #: 4
How would folks feel about changing the meeting time of the gay fur trappers book to the Wednesday after this one (March 6)? Could you make that date? Does it not work for you?