The 4800+ R packages on CRAN are one of the key benefits of the R environment. The big challenge for a beginneR, is finding what is useful for their work. This meeting will be a series of 10-minute “lightning talks” from our members on their favorite package.
CALL FOR TALKS: We need another 4-6 speakers. In your 10 minutes you could cover:
• Why this is my favorite package?
• How do I use it – what is my application area.
• History – how long has it been around, some background on author if known.
• Example of use – either live or slides. Note live is hard in a 10-minute lightning talk!
• What are gotchas? Alternate/related packages?
WE WILL KEEP TO 10 MINUTES FOR EACH TALK!
6:30 Doors open. Socializing & "help me with" Q&A
7:00 Introductions & Announcements
7:10 Talks begin
Talks thus far:
• Jim - Introduction to packages. General ideas; how to find what you need; getting help on packages.
• Michael Barton - reshape package.
• Karthik Ram - web data related packages.
• Bruce Ingram - arules package for market basket analysis & more.
• Harrison Decker - survival package applied to employee tenure (with some ggplot2 thrown in)
• Allan Miller - SQL, R, & sqldf package
• Harold Baize - googleVis
• Jim - randomForest: This first method I use for any new predictive analytics project. Examples from marketing.
8:30 Talks wrap-up. General Q&A, socializing.
9:00 out the door!
• Any More? Please mail Jim with package you would like to present.