BKK Rails & Javascript Developers Message Board › Sample of Ruby Application

Sample of Ruby Application

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi,

Anyone can suggest me a website where there's a demo of application written with Ruby programming, pls? Kind of look and feel. This could be my entry to Ruby world. Many thanks in advanced.

Cheers!
Sunny
user 11812947
Bangkok, TH
Post #: 2
Many Rubyist share their code on github.com.

But since you are just starting out I would highly recommend these two books by the Pragmatic Programmer:

1. Agile Web Development with Rails
2. Programming Ruby 1.9

You can download the source code of the book from their site. Agile Web Development with Rails walks through building an e-commerce app which they call "Depot". (in case you are interested in web apps/Rails)

--Sunny
A former member
Post #: 2
Thank you, Sunny, for information. The books look good for beginners indeed. 1500 pages for 2 books. I am thinking how many weekends they could cost me :)
Sunny
user 11812947
Bangkok, TH
Post #: 3
Napada,

You need not read the whole book :-), just read part 1 of Programming Ruby and maybe just up to part 2 of AWDWR that should be enough to get you started. From then on you can start working on your projects, that what I did when I got started with Ruby/Rails.

Sunny
Jason
user 3957358
Bangkok, TH
Post #: 4
The pickaxe is sort of the Ruby Bible.. I would recommend starting with learning some Ruby basics before getting into Rails. :-)