The Raleigh Movie Fans Meetup Group Message Board › Susan L. - RMF Assistant Organizer

Susan L. - RMF Assistant Organizer

Jan
Jan-Organizer
Durham, NC
Post #: 36
About a month and a half ago I was sitting at a free RMF screening next to Susan and found out she was moving from Raleigh to Durham. On top of that, she was moving into my neighborhood. She moved in mid-June but had not been feeling the greatest....possibly stress from the move and work deadlines at the same time.

At the end of June, Susan ended up in the hospital diagnosed with a rare peritoneal cancer. She has been at Duke hospital for a month now. She has undergone major surgery and started chemotherapy. Unfortunately this week, she has taken a turn for the worse and her family has been called in.

I know many of you have attended movies at Susan's home and/or talked with her at RMF movie events. I thought I would let you know and ask for you to pray or think positive, healing thoughts...whichever you do, for her. I think she has been part of this group for a long time and she could use your caring thoughts.

Thanks for your help and I will let you know more when I can. (BTW- Please don't call Duke or plan to visit as her family needs precious time with her and they are currently in town)
Jan Gillespie
RMF member and Susan's friend and neighbor
Rick
user 5065232
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 12
That's terrible! Thanks for the update, Jan.
Ed
Ed_RDNC
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 14
That is such sad news, her movie nites were so much fun, (but thanks for letting us know).
Please forward to her and her family that we will be wishing she gets better soon.
Jan
Jan-Organizer
Durham, NC
Post #: 37
I regret giving you this information by I thought some of you may want to know.

Susan said yesterday that she was ready to go and would die on Thursday. She kept her promise. Susan stopped breathing this morning at 1:25 a.m. Her awareness had become increasingly removed from her body throughout the day. She went into a deep slumber in the evening as her heart was giving out and did not wake up. She was peaceful but exhausted, knowing that her body could no longer fight the disease.

Her daughter Bonnie is on her way to NC to facilitate the arrangements. We are trying to have Susan's service on Sunday afternoon, August 17th. More information as we know it ... Please pass this information on to others who would want to know about Susan's passing.
Rick
user 5065232
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 13
Thanks again, Jan. I'll miss Susan and the great conversations we used to have. At least her suffering is over.
Jan
Jan-Organizer
Durham, NC
Post #: 38
So many of you have reached out with warm memories of Susan LaBarre. She will be missed.

Although there will not be a memorial service for Susan at this time, you have the opportunity to leave your own memorial to her on this website: http://www.cremnc.com...­.
1.Scroll down to Recent Obituaries and click on her name.
2.You can sign the guestbook, share a story, add a photo, and more.

Please forward this information to others who may be interested.

Many thanks to everyone who was a part of Susan's life and wants to share their fond memories with the rest of us.
Jan
Jan-Organizer
Durham, NC
Post #: 39
A Celebration of Life will be held for Susan this Friday, August 22nd at 6:00 p.m. at Unity Church of the Triangle’s office. This building is at 1318 DaleStreet in Raleigh, very close to the intersection of Glenwood and Wade.

Please come to honor Susan's memory. Each of us will have an opportunity to share a story and/or photo about how Susan touched our lives. We will have light refreshments, so if you can, please bring finger food to share.

If you are unable to attend in person, but have a story to share, please add it to Susan's memorial guestbook at www.cremnc.com .