Now that there is a chill in the air it is time to start thinking about winter hiking. While it may seem intimidating at first it isn't if you know what to do, why you need to do it, how to do it once you decide to, and bring the stuff that you need to have a safe and enjoyable experience.
I am promoting this event within the group because I think it is something that will benefit our members - it is NOT being run by the Random Group of Hikers and you need to regeister directly with the AMC New Hampshire Chapter using the information contained within this event descrition. You can use the RSVP Process and the Comments Section of this event listing to communicate with others who may be going.
This workshop offers instruction in winter mountain travel to backcountry skiers and snowshoers of all levels. Between the available classes, most every aspect of winter backcountry travel is covered. The weekend is filled with instruction, field exercises, lectures and discussions. There is plenty of great food to fuel you back up!
This class will be held at the AMC'S CARDIGAN LODGE.
Not sure which class is right for you, just ask our Workshop Directors (names and contact information listed below).
Choose from one of the following classes:
• Introduction to Winter Mountain Travel: Beginner and intermediate classes.
• Instruction in safety equipment, route finding, map and compass, off-trail navigation, weather, trip planning, nutrition and emergencies in the mountain environment.
• Backcountry skiing: Beginner and intermediate and tele classes.
• Advanced winter wilderness travel, high peaks and crampons.
• Winter backpacking: beginner and intermediate classes.
• Instruction in backpacking equipment, campsite selection, route finding, map and compass, weather, trip planning, cooking and emergencies. For those who want to take their skills beyond day hiking. Plan to spend Friday and Saturday night outdoors and provide for your own backpacking equipment.
• Leadership and Mountain Skills: For those who have good winter hiking and/or sking skills, and wish to enhance them to run trips of their own. Exercises in planning, organizing and conducting trips with emphasis on leadership techniques and group dynamics. Plus, the basics of accident scene management, medical considerations and off-trail navigation.
For more information about each option please visit the event page here:
This course is also for those with potential and desire to become Trip Leaders for the NH Chapter.
This workshop is for any adult who wants to learn and have a great time!
Begins at 7:30 PM on Friday and ends at 4:00 PM Sunday afternoon.
Cost is $145 for AMC members and $165 for non-members, and includes lodging, excellent meals, materials and instruction. You must be 18 years or older to attend.
For more information and an application, visit www.amc-nh.org.
To register online, visit http://AMC_registration.ccntr.org
[masked] (best time to call: 7:00 pm -10:30 pm Tuesday and Friday evening)
[masked] (best time to call: 7:00-10:00 pm)