PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ANSWER ALL THE RSVP QUESTIONS COMPLETELY. I ask for specific information about your last three hikes and DATES and conditions as well as for your history in climbing the higher presidentials (which peaks you have climbed and when). I do this to gauge preparedness, so I need complete answers. You will not be taken off the waiting list until I have this information.
Mt. Washington Via Nelson Crag Trail
I've been trying to hit some of the other, non-AMC points of interest and explore some side trails in the Presis for a while. This will not be your traditional peakbagging climb. Instead, we will create a loop begins at Old Jackson Road, takes the Nelson Crag Trail over Nelson Crag (5,639') and Ball Crag (6,112') to the summit of Washington (6,288') and then loop back down via some other trails that are yet undetermined. Depending on how the group feels, I am considering taking the Davis Path to Boott Spur. This would be roughly 14 miles. There are shorter, easier alternatives if we so choose. All routes come back to Pinkham Notch.
I don't usually do this, but everyone will be waitlisted for this hike until I have had a chance to confirm that each person is prepared for the distance and elevation gain involved.
Be prepared for cool and potentially poor weather conditions. DO NOT WEAR COTTON OR DENIM. If you have questions about how to prepare or how to dress, ask them in advance.
Answers to FAQs
- Poor weather conditions cancel this hike. I will keep any eye on the weather and notify everyone of a final decision on Friday. I may choose an alternative hike (Nancy/Carrigain?) if Mt. Washington is not feasible this day.
- This IS NOT a traverse, so we will NOT need to carpool to another location.
- We will meet in the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center parking lot on Route 16. Please meet in the northern half of the lot (to the right of the building as you are facing it)
- Sunset will be at about 6:44 pm.
- This hike will be VERY EXPOSED. It is fall, so come prepared for rain, sun AND cold conditions.
- There do not appear to be a lot of water sources on this trail. There is a spring at 4,803' - before Nelson Crag. Bring enough potable water for a long, rugged hike.
- Headlamps are required. I do not intend to come out in the dark, but lately we have been coming out *just* before dark. Hikers should always be prepared to come out in the dark if necessary.
- We will START AND FINISH TOGETHER. If you cannot hold your speed down to match that of the group (if necessary), this is not the hike for you. I require participants to wait at trail junctions, major water crossings and summits so that the group can exchange information and reset their pace.
- I am NOT a speedy hiker, but I do keep a steady pace. I'm doing about book time these days.
- The distance, pace and location means that is NOT a beginner hike. I expect people to average book time, maybe a little less on the tougher parts of this trail.
- If the conditions are prohibitive, I have no qualms about turning around. The mountain will be there another day. I would like you to be around for another day too.
- My hikes area always dog friendly, but please know the limits and abilities of your dog & bring appropriate amounts of food and water. This is a rugged trail with a lot of exposure and rock scrambling. I will not be bringing my dogs on this hike.
- I will watch the weather carefully and post weather updates during the week leading up to the hike. I rely on NOAA and MWObs for my forecasts.
- I will provide attendees with my cell phone number in advance of the hike.
- No, I will not change the start time for this hike. I choose my start times carefully based on when we should be off the mountain or at least safely into the homestretch.
Most of the payoff comes in the form of great views & enjoying the outdoors. If the weather looks like it will be miserable, I will reschedule (because I really want to do this route!), possibly to the next day (Sunday) if it looks clearer. Please plan accordingly.
RSVP Questions are NOT optional - If you do not provide me with a phone number to try and contact you on the morning of the hike (if necessary), we will NOT wait for you at the trailhead.
Book time is approximately: TBD (having trouble logging into the online guide)
Total Elevation Gain is: TBD
Total Distance is: Roughly 14 miles
"Plagerized" Trail Descriptions from the AMC Guide will follow shortly
Copyright © the Appalachian Mountain Club. All rights reserved do not distribute
Old Jackson Road to Nelson Crag Trail (1.9 miles)
Nelson Crag Trail to Mt. Washington Summit via Nelson Crag and Ball Crag (3.6 miles)
--------Tentative Return Route-------------------
Gulfside Path to Davis Path (.6 miles)
Davis Path to Boott Spur (roughly 2 miles)
Boott Spur to Boott Spur Link (.7 miles)
Boott Spur Link to Raymond Path (1.2)
Raymond Path to Old Jackson Road (1.8 miles)
Old Jackson Road to Pinkham Notch Visitor's Center (1.9 miles)
DISCLAIMER (SHAMELESSLY PLAGERIZED FROM ANOTHER MEETUP HIKER): MY ROLE AS ORGANIZER IN THIS HIKE IS SOCIAL. I AM NOT TRAINED TO BE A GUIDE, NOR HAVE I RECEIVED TRAINING OR INSTRUCTION IN HIKING SAFETY. WHILE I TRY TO HEAD OFF SOME OF THE PROBLEMS I HAVE SEEN (OR EXPERIENCED OR EVEN CAUSED) IN THE PAST, MY UNDERSTANDING IS THAT YOU WILL TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY. IF MY DISAPPEARANCE DURING THIS TRIP WOULD CAUSE YOU MORE THAN ANNOYANCE AND INCONVENIENCE, THIS IS NOT THE TRIP FOR YOU. THERE ARE ALWAYS RISKS IN HIKING IN THE MOUNTAINS. IF YOU ARE NOT CONFIDENT THAT YOU UNDERSTAND THE RISKS, PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP (or change your RSVP to no). WHILE I HAVE CLIMBED THIS PEAK BEFORE, I HAVE DONE ALL MY RESEARCH VIA GUIDEBOOKS, INTERNET AND ADVICE FROM OTHER HIKERS, SO IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOME INFORMATION IS NOT ACCURATE. I AM PERFECTLY CAPABLE OF MAKING STUPID OR MINDLESS MISTAKES, SO PLEASE DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND COME PREPARED WITH APPROPRIATE KNOWLEDGE, EQUIPMENT AND JUDGMENT.