add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi RAK members. I have a unique situation and I was hoping someone could help me out. A friend/co-worker of mine at Snuffer's in Plano was recently diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer. He has no health insurance. He has a great support system and we are all trying to come up with ways to raise money for his medical expenses. Here is the issue - we'd like to do some fundraisers at places who donate a portion of sales (Cici's Pizza, Cold Stone, Tin Star) but we do not have Non-Profit ID. I am going to paste the explanation to our problem as emailed to me:

In order to be eligible for Medicaid you have to be at a certain income level. If you, say for instance, are ill with Stage IV Lung Cancer and do not qualify for Medicaid; then none of your medical bills will be paid by the state or federal government. If Sean is receiving some money from his SS Disability and then say is given a large sum of money; it could easily put him over that income limit and disqualify him.

Problem # 1 is we definitely do not want to mess with Sean receiving his Medical Care or Prescriptions. We are actively talking with a social worker and other Cancer Patient Advocate groups on how so many other people are able to receive donations and continue their Medicaid.

Problem #2 is restaurants and organizations offering the fundraising events will possibly not be able to include these events and donations as tax write off's unless it is given to a non-profit organization who has a valid non-profit EIN (tax #). We currently do not have a non-profit organization to fall under in order to receive these donations. Also, if Sean's social security number is used (mentioned by a couple of you) then we are taken back to Problem # 1.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to work around this problem? Also, if anyone has any other fundrasing ideas - I would LOVE to hear them!

Thanks so much.