Random Acts of Kindness Volunteer / Non-Profit Meetup Message Board › Need some volunteers to rebuild a home

Need some volunteers to rebuild a home

Sonja R
ConcertLover
Mansfield, TX
Post #: 182
Hi,

I have a friend, a very nice woman who wants to help this elderly man who's home burned down many months ago and needs help to rebuild it.

The story was on WFAA recently:

http://www.wfaa.com/n...­

Please let me know. If we have enough interest perhaps we can create an event.

Sonja

SEC4040@aol.com

Paul W.
user 10475036
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 3
This looks like a job where we can work with Habitat for Humanity to help rebuild the house. With a fire, there may be some structural issues that need to be addressed.
I'll help.
Paul
Lisa W
user 7729190
Arlington, TX
Post #: 24
I would love to help if I am available
Lisa
elise_crash
Garland, TX
Post #: 10
I would be willing to help out where I could.
Keith
keithharrod
Arlington, TX
Post #: 72
Sounds like a winner. I would love to learn more about house building.
A former member
Post #: 5
I agree with Paul that there would need to be more supervision/ direction than just a meetup host, but I'd definitely be willing to help out.
A former member
Post #: 1
I could help out on a weekend. Not sure what I can do to help, but I'm willing to do whatever I can.
Sonja R
ConcertLover
Mansfield, TX
Post #: 183
Updated:

Elva Roy and I went to visit Mr. Freeman at his home. I have pictures of the home.

Please "LIKE" on Facebook a new facebook page devoted to this situation called "Friends of Vernon Freeman".

Also last night Channel 8 did a short follow up news story on him..very brief.

When we met Vernon Freeman we immediately took a like to this friendly, warm hearted man with a great sense of humor, very physically and mentally engaged. He's lived at his home for 50+ years. Fire was due to electrical issues which will be the first project.

I'm not in charge but do see first thing is to find someone who is project oriented type manager. It seems we are finding many volunteers willing to help do the work but its going to take a special individual to organize it all and be a leader for this.

Habitat for Humanity as I mentioned does not do this ...you have to be put on a waiting list for homes, be able to afford to pay mortgage payments, etc. With Vernon's age it's an issue.

There is a conference call tonight at 8:30 PM...please go to Friends of Vernon Freeman for more information.

Thank you!!!
Sonja R
ConcertLover
Mansfield, TX
Post #: 184
There will be a meeting at a local restaurant not yet determined sometime next week. I'll get Lance to add it as an event when more details are known.
Keith
user 55451032
Dallas, TX
Post #: 1
I will be glad to help, and i have a good construction background. please keep me posted on the progress of this project.

PS i admire the spirit of anyone that is brave enough to take on a challenge of this size, it will be a difficult job to sale your idea, and there are many obstacles to overcome, you must involve the city,county, and state building codes first. However your cause is a good cause, be strong keep pushing you will be glad you did!

Keith