Random Acts of Kindness Volunteer / Non-Profit Meetup Message Board › PLEASE SUGGEST FUTURE RAK GROUP ACTIVITIES HERE: What's your favorite place

PLEASE SUGGEST FUTURE RAK GROUP ACTIVITIES HERE: What's your favorite place to volunteer

A former member
Post #: 8
why not consider our little friends?

http://www.operationk...­

i think that would be a great place to volunteer.
Lance P.
lance1224
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 109
From Email:

As we discussed, I am providing some information on another charity that I do volunteer work with. You can go to their website and see what their immediate needs are or the volunteer contact. They have several special projects including Hearts & Hammers, Garden Angels, GED tutoring, tax prep, and some one-time group volunteer activities. Click on "Volunteer" and then view items in the purple box on the right.

http://www.interfaith...­

I know they would appreciate the efforts.

Sonia
A former member
Post #: 1
I've done some work with CareVan they provide free immunizations to children along with other health related things such as blood pressure checks, body fat screenings & flu shots. I know they need tons of help in the months prior to school starting (May-August). I also start helping at Network of Community Ministries this week and they seem to have a need for fundraising. Just an idea!
A former member
Hi, I'm interested in contributing to a Women's Shelter. I have clothes, etc. (need alot of advanced notice to sort it, etc.) If anyone knows of one somewhat convenient to North Dallas, please let me know. I need to start hauling stuff off, just not sure of where to take it (will do it piecemeal, etc.) Let me know! Thanks. Kelly
Hi...The New Beginning Center in Garland, Tx. has a resale shop...they accept donations.
A former member
what about something for EARTH DAY?
Phyllis C
mage13333
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 237
My suggestions are "Make A Wish Foundation" and also Starlight,Starbright organization. They both do so much for the terminally ill and for children with life threatening diseases. I know they could use a hand. If you need contacts let me know.

The NINE organizers of the Random Acts group could use your help in planning events for 2008. Where are some great places to volunteer, some annual events we might be able to support, and some groups that could use the help of a group like ours?

Please post your responses on the Message Board in the discussion titled: Random Acts: What's your favorite place to volunteer?

Thanks!
~Dawn
Assistant Organizer
Random Acts of Kindness Volunteer / Non-Profit Meetup

A former member
im new to the group and i noticed that the group is called random acts of kindess...but all the posted activities are volunteer opportunities--which are beautiful, and i'm not trying to discount them or criticize the group...because the things you are doing are wonderful. i was thinking it would be neat just to organize actual random acts of kindness that people all over the area can do at about the same time or on the same day or in the same week for their neighbors, co-workers, family members, their waiter. it could be something like what the improv everywhere group does (www.improveverywhere.com--to get an idea) except we dont have to come together to do things, and they would be kind acts, not funny things. for instance...we could designate that on a certain day all members should move a neighbor's newspaper closer to the door, or bring the trashcan close to the house for them (of course, without the neighbor knowing who it is) on trash day. it could be other things like buying a homeless guy a burger, during a certain week, or bringing in breakfast to the office or place of work anonymously. there are so many things we could do as an organized group in an individual way, but would bring an extra fun element knowing that there were lots of other people doing the same thing! what do you think?
and of course, as i said, i dont mean this stuff to replace what you guys are already doing, because everything looks great and i hope to become involved with those bigger projects too. this idea would just add an extra element to the group, and would not take much effort from the members.
A former member
Post #: 2
Cool idea, Lo.
A former member
Post #: 18
We can always use volunteers at Equest for riding sessions or events. You can visit Equest.org for more information. A word of warning, if you participate you will become addicted !
A former member
We are always looking for volunteers to assist us with our Special Olympics team. Feel free to contact me if you are interested.