Random Acts of Kindness Volunteer / Non-Profit Meetup Message Board › PLEASE SUGGEST FUTURE RAK GROUP ACTIVITIES HERE: What's your favorite place

PLEASE SUGGEST FUTURE RAK GROUP ACTIVITIES HERE: What's your favorite place to volunteer

A former member
Post #: 1
Living in Carrollton would love to see some stuff in the Northern part of the Metroplex.. but I really enjoyed the Salvation Army..

I'm up for most anything.. Operation Kindess isn't a place where you can just show up, you have to go to a class and get some training to volunteer, although they love donations, especially of used towels.. they have a good website..
Dave
user 4600753
Irving, TX
Post #: 114
I was watching TV about a week ago and saw an update on conditions in New Orleans. The government severely underestimated the amount of money needed for rebuilding and a lot of New Orleanians are trapped in bureaucratic hell.

It's about 1000 miles roundtrip to drive. We could of course car pool and we'd probably need an extended weekend at least.
Dawn
DawnInDFW
Grand Prairie, TX
Post #: 1,089
I looked into this a few months ago and tried to find some people who wanted to go. There are all kinds of groups that have volunteer programs - mostly for rebuilding homes. Some even offer a place to stay for the weekend!
Mrs. Soup (Genghis...
HugMonster
Dallas, TX
Post #: 507
I think you guys are just doing fabulous volunteering at the SoupMobile and you guys are very much appreciated. My fave place, as you know, is the SoupMobile.
Mrs. Soup (Genghis...
HugMonster
Dallas, TX
Post #: 508
Oh, and I am thinking about helping out Habitat for Humanity. I don't know much about them yet.
A. Mary
user 7138170
Plano, TX
My fav is Challenge Air and other fun fundraising events like Happy Hours, galas, bashes etc.,
and would love to involve more if we can organize some volunteer oppurtunities around Plano/Frisco/Richardson/Allen/McKinney areas which are my comfortable driving distances.
Thank you,
Mary :-)
Dave Stelter
stikplano
Plano, TX
If someone has a week day evening activity let me know. I've been trying to contact Plano Salvation Army office for volunteer needs to no avail. Week ends are hard for me since I'm seldom home.
Lance Price
lance1224
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 190
From a RAK member:

There are many of us members who have children. Perhaps RAK
could hook us up with some volunteer opportunities for FAMILIES
to do together.

Personally, I find that most times I can't attend these
volunteer events because I have my 7yr old. If we could find
some more events that allowed children to participate, I could
volunteer more often.

I know that may be hard to find. But, it's just something to
keep in mind. Thanks!
Barb
Plano, TX
Post #: 98
Collin Classic 2009
The 18th Collin Classic is a rural bicycle rally that will start and finish at the McKinney North High School on Saturday, June 13, 2009.

Offering routes of 4, 15, 22, 34, 47 and 55 miles, this event will attract families, weekend warriors and avid cyclists to celebrate life in a day filled with fun.

A portion of the proceeds from the Collin Classic will be used to support CITY House

Volunteer Opportunities
Click HERE to see the Volunteer Opportunities that you can sign up for!
Volunteer Opportunities Form

A former member
Hi, I'm interested in contributing to a Women's Shelter. I have clothes, etc. (need alot of advanced notice to sort it, etc.) If anyone knows of one somewhat convenient to North Dallas, please let me know. I need to start hauling stuff off, just not sure of where to take it (will do it piecemeal, etc.) Let me know! Thanks. Kelly

Kelly - The family place has a donation store near Marsh and Forest. They give vouchers to the women at the shelter to shop the store and they sell the clothes/home goods/furniture/books, etc. to raise funds for their domestic violence, childrens programs and incest recovery programs. It is a great charity.