Raw Food Switzerland / Rohkost Treffen Schweiz Message Board › Question about dehydrators

Question about dehydrators

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello!
I would like to get a dehydrator since the apartment where I live now has an oven with 50 C minimum. I have thought about using it for raw food and keeping it ajar but I am not sure that will do. I never owned a dehydrator and find the Excalibur expensive and perhaps, being made in plastic, not so environmentally friendly (the end of life disposal less good than if made with metal).
Are there any better ones out there? Or cheaper and good? When I search in google many come from the US and no idea where to buy in Switzerland apart from Keimling (or something like that).
Many thanks for your help!!
Rafael J.
user 5349341
Group Organizer
Luzern, CH
Post #: 18
Hello Maria

If you're just starting out and want to experiment with dehydrating raw foods without buying a dehydrator, you can use your oven and improvise. Just set it to 50 degrees Celsius, turn on the oven's air circulation (Umluft) and keep the door ajar. This method is not ideal but it's ok, especially if you don't want to buy a dehydrator right away.

However, if you're planning on dehydrating food frequently it's definitely better to invest in a good dehydrator. Choosing a dehydrator depens on what exactly you want to do with it. The Excalibur is a good allrounder and so is the new Sedona. You can get cheaper and smaller ones like Stöckli or Ezidri, but these are limited in their function. That means they are very good at dehydrating whole foods, but they're not ideal for dehydrating prepared foods that are nealy liquid in the beginning (e.g. crackers, fruit leathers, etc.)

You can buy dehydrators at various raw-food-oriented online shops here in Switzerland, and even directly from me. If you're interested just write me a direct message.

A former member
Post #: 2
Thank you very much Rafael, I will try first with my oven and will contact you if I decide to buy one. Kind regards