The Inland Empire Raw Foods Meetup Group Message Board › What are your RAW TRICKS? What keeps you LOVING raw?

What are your RAW TRICKS? What keeps you LOVING raw?

A former member
Post #: 2
Hello Raw Sweeties! :) Almost 3 weeks raw :) (with a few bites of my mom's homemade middle eastern dishes that i couldn't resist when i went home to visit my family), but other than that, just about %100 raw every day. So I'm wondering, is anyone else just starting out, more or less, or trying to go %100 raw now after prior attempts or being less than %100 up to this point? Would love to hear about your progress and triumphs and challenges, and things that "work" for you. Tricks for YOU.

So I wanted to share some of my tricks I discovered so far... the things that keep me LOVING raw. (and it was a process to even observe myself experiencing these, and then they were like blessings and discoveries of self that were like jewels... things i just KNEW about myself now).

(PS Tonight I made my first nori roll! I was so happy. How much do I love sundried tomato cashew spread? Good lord that stuff is heaven.)

That is actually one of my tricks. -- sundried tomatoes. I can mix those into almost anything as a background taste in soups or spreads or whatever and enjoy it.

I also learned to have a box of mangos in my house. :) I LOVE mangos so much, that i can eat them pretty much all the time, or if I want a snack, or if I don't have time to prepare something else. If I had nothing else to eat for several days, I could probably eat a bunch of mangos and be very happy.

Another thing is I realized on this diet how much I LOVE sharp flavors. I love raw onion, and I love garlic, and my future husband will have to cherish me for that because it's not gonna change and I don't plan on brushing out the taste or smell right after my meal because they belong in my mouth ;] In my dips and spreads, I like to mix in a decent amount of raw onion to give it that zang, and I dig it :) I also like horseradish, and put that in my nori tonight (and radish sprouts). And I like a good serving of ginger in various dishes, but not overpoweringly, and not all the time.

FRESH HERBS ARE LIKE CONFETTI IN MY HEART. I made a raw soup from Juliano's cookbook RAW last night, and it was SO good.. and he uses several spices in his dishes. I made a corn chowder (I LOVE corn), and it had fresh dill and fresh prasley and (along with green onion and garlic and miso and other flavorings), and the herbs REALLY stood out and just filled me with joy. Those little herbs go such a long way, and I'm realizing that on this diet too. I'm gonna make a mushroom soup later this week that calls for fennel and sage and a few other spices.... they really make the soup for me. I think the soups are my favorite raw meals so far.

I'm also learning what "sweet tooth" mini bites I enjoy if I want something sweet or desserty during the day or after my meal but hadn't prepared anything in advance. So far, I realized how much i love honey, first of all, and one thing I do is put a dab of raw wildflower honey on a spoon, sprinkle some cacao nibs on it and throw that in my mouth. :)

What are some of your favorite ways to stay loving raw? :)
A former member
Post #: 3
oh and i forgot to mention fresh jalapeno, of course.... the sparkle of my soup.
A former member
Post #: 4
I just figured out a favorite new snack. And I don't care that I'm the only one replying to this post or possibly seeing it at all, lol :) Tonight I had wine with my friends. At some point, I desired a snack and hadn't eaten dinner but really wasn't hungry at all. But wouldn't have minded a snack. So I decided to pair my three loves, two of which I newly discovered since starting RAW, and I:

Nori-rolled mango and sun dried tomato! That's it. It was so yummy. Salty, sweet, fruity, tropical, mediterranean, chewy. You gotta like it when the nori gets chewy i guess cuz depending on how ripe the mango is, it can wet it quite a bit (and it did in my case) -- and luckily, I like the nori that way, and having to gnaw on it in my mouth. I dig it for some reason.

COME on guys, I wanna know other people's favorite raw snacks. READ THIS. :)

~Devora