Hypothetic Q.
hypothetic.quant
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 21
I have often considered how to keep myself updated on, and more importantly manage, my open positions at those times when I need to be away from the trading computer at home. Since I run custom software on the computer to manage the trades, my options seem to be limited.

Here's what I have:
- Buy an iPad and remote-login to the trading computer at home.
- Buy a laptop and a wireless hotspot or USB stick from Verizon; run the software on it and manage trades from it directly.

Does anyone have any experience with either method? Are there other solutions that I could consider?

Thanks for your help!
Don B.
DonBrady
Group Organizer
Cary, NC
Post #: 1,037
I am not away from home as much as you but Mocha RDP does work fairly well on an iPad or iPhone to access Windows via remote login. It would be awkward to use heavily though.

If you have an iPad with 3g or 4g, you can use it even if there is no wifi. It is not that much extra so I would buy one with 3g (or better yet LTE).

If you could convert your custom software to produce web pages, you could access those pages more easily anywhere. (You can run a small web server on your home computer).

Your second solution sounds fine too but it might use a lot of bandwidth, and therefore dollars, if your app. accesses a flow of market data continuously. You can get laptops with 3g/4g also.

I believe that both AT&T and Verizon offer LTE (true 4g - possibly 12 megabits/sec for AT&T anyway) in this area.

If you go the laptop route, I would check carefully what speeds are attainable with different carriers and equipment. Verizon LTE is reported by some to be slower than AT&T LTE (but more widely available).

Mark M.
user 10583849
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 8
Another thing, most iphones and probably other smartphones will function as a hotspot. I dont know how complicated your software is, but ive been less than impressed trying to trade with the Optionshouse app, as well as Fidelity's app on my ipad, so you may be happier with a small laptop, maybe with some type of remote desktop app like gotomypc.
A former member
Post #: 2
I use a laptop and a mobile hotspot (small--- about the size of a thick credit card) from Verizon Wireless. It can be kind of difficult to trade when mobile so I try to keep my trading platform the same as when I'm at my desktop.

I use TOS and this platform on an ipad or iphone leaves a little to be desired. I make enough unforced trading errors as it is....using a seldom used platform can cause me more problems.
Regards
Doug B